Improvedname - Leaking

Nik707

Re: Improvedname - Leaking

Post by Nik707 »

"Defend a pedophile out of respect" Wow I've never wanted to say no twice in an appeal before this but how do you manage to grab a shovel that big that fast I'm so lost

deathride58

Post by deathride58 »

To set the record straight regarding why the news of what Dankseed did was treated as heavily classified information at the time, it's important to note that it happened during the time in which the Apop drama was starting to wane (For those who weren't a part of the SS13 community at the time, Apop was a figure who came into the SS13 community's spotlight after it was discovered that he deliberately sought out what was essentially CP). The effects this had on CM's reputation was very much noticeable, even after Apop stepped down from his host position, and it took well over a year for their reputation to get back to normal.

So when the news of what Dankseed did came to the attention of headmins at the time, we decided upon placing a ban ASAP. Following the ban, we had a very thorough discussion as to who should be given details regarding his ban, whether it should be kept headmin-only, if it should be kept to staff in general, or if it should be made a public announcement. Ultimately, we decided very hesitantly to share it with staff in general only, slapping an extremely huge "DO NOT SHARE THIS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE" disclaimer on the news. The reasons we were extremely hesitant on sharing this with staff, let alone at all, are as follows
  • I had filed a thorough report to the NCMEC about Dankseed, using all of the information we had available at the time. I would like to place emphasis on this in particular. For those who are unfamiliar with the process of reporting child exploitation, the last thing you want to do is go public about it. This is because it's an extremely serious accusation that almost always results in the public getting riled up over the claim, regardless if it's true or not. Because of this, it's not uncommon to see those who are accused of being a pedophile ending up getting forced into hiding, which greatly hampers investigation from law enforcement due to the trail stopping dead in it's tracks, alongside public outcry drowning out potential leads for further investigation among other issues. In laymen's terms, publicly calling out child predators is actually legitimately counter-productive to law enforcement investigation in most cases due to what typically happens when that kind of information comes to the greater public's attention. This is a huge part of the reason why we were hesitant to share the information of Dankseed's actions with staff in the first place, as while it's very easy to come to an "okay, let's not talk about this and leave law enforcement to do their job" agreement in a small group, it's much harder to keep things under wraps in a larger group of people. And that's not even mentioning the kind of consequences that can happen on the off-chance that a public call-out is found to be based upon false information.
  • The above-mentioned Apop drama was also a big factor in our decision to keep things under wraps. The impact it had on CM's reputation was still fairly noticeable at the time, and anyone who's familiar enough with the internet knows full well that the waning period of high-profile drama is when another case of drama is most likely to spark and reach critical mass, especially if it's of a similar topic.
  • Our server's reputation at the time was still struggling with accusations of having minors. Combined with the above, news getting out of an admin having harbored minors is something that could have had extremely catastrophic consequences for the server's reputation in the long term. There were plenty of people still bashing CM for Apop's actions long after he had stepped down, and I'd like you to take a moment to imagine what might have happened if the public were aware of a server who had a former staff member that wasn't just a probable pedophile, but an actual, definite pedophile, taking into account the server's reputation at the time.

All that aside, I would have been willing to support this ban being lifted, since it has been well over a year and a half since it happened, but your behavior in this thread has made me seriously reconsider that. The appeal lacks any sign of understanding as to why the leaked information was classified in the first place (even though the last two reasons above were communicated to staff), the immediate jump to "YOU WERE DEFENDING A PEDOPHILE!!" in response to two staff members saying "no" to your appeal, and your choice to try to drum up... something? over a single screenshot of... the poll results I sent to you to follow up on your inquiries about your ban?... All make me realize that keeping this ban in place would probably be a good idea. You're usually pretty chill, but sweet jesus, you turned this thread into a trainwreck.
Last edited by deathride58 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

Alright, been three days since the last reply and you lost the support of the headmin that was willing to give you a shot, so I'm gonna go ahead and toss this into denied.