[avaricepleonexia] max_steelf - rp server ban

Max_steelf

[avaricepleonexia] max_steelf - rp server ban

Post by Max_steelf »

BYOND account and character name: Max_SteelF/Bark

Banning admin: avaricepleonexia

Ban type/duration: RP server- Permanent

Ban reason: having a barking character named bark who spams bark a lot and communicates through barking.

Your side of the story: so I entered that one round where I stumbled upon a Tajaran who happened to be an admin. They greeted me and I barked at them a few times before I called the elevator. At this time I was admin PM'd and asked why I'm playing a character named Bark and was told it was a funny meme but memes shouldn't be played on the RP server.

I was asked to get on the tram and leave the round and never play Bark again, or be banned if I fail to follow the orders. At the time I was pretty fucking stressed and not in the mood to argue with an admin about how my really-not-a-meme character shouldn't be a problem compared to particular characters whom I see from time to time in the server.

And that's when I offered a third magical option; I asked the admin what does the 'X' button on the top right corner of my screen does then closed my client immediately as I really weren't in the mood for that feud. permaban speedrun, 5 minutes into the round or less.

Why you think you should be unbanned:

I understand that I'm at fault for leaving and most likely deserve that treatment, but the whole situation seems kinda stupid to me to be honest. Not only there aren't any rules about giving your characters particular names but copping a permanent ban over a name seems a little too much, I guess? My character does have a TTS device to speak whenever he really needs to say something, and he knows sign language on top, that's it for your element of communication if that's what seems to be bothering you in addition to the name.

I don't use my character to ruin anyone else's immersive RP, nor am I actively bothering anyone. I don't appreciate being told how I'm supposed to RP my character, or what I should name it. It's a fictional fantasy world where everything is possible, a stupid pet turned into a humanoid doesn't really seem farfetched to me, alright. thanks bro. :cool:

AvaricePleonexia

Re: [avaricepleonexia] max_steelf - rp server ban

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Unfortunately the rules page is a bit confusing at first glance, but it should be rather self-evident that on the higher standard server we have tighter restrictions in regards to character creation. All of the rules on the 'Main' tab are also applicable on the 'RP' server, whereas the rules in the 'RP' tab are not applicable on the 'Main' server.
NT would not hire incompetent or mentally ill crew members; at least not in serious jobs (roles like cook, janitor, etc are more believable for someone who is “special”). The station is a workplace, and people who constantly act like children would be quickly expelled. When in doubt, act as you would at your own workplace.
We definitely do have rules about acceptable naming conventions and characters.

Pulled straight from the rules page.

About the permanent ban. We have a policy as admins to issue permanent bans whenever a player disconnects during a ticket - this is to facilitate open communication on the forums like we're doing now - unless the player has expressed their intent on returning in a reasonable amount of time. (Admin discretion on that one). Unfortunately, your choice of words led me to believe that you had no intention in reconnecting to the server.

For the record, I didn't want to ban you, but you've managed several notes within a short-time span, all around characters that don't fit the bill of the RP server, while also being belligerent in the ticket. The excuse that the universe of the server takes place in is a "fictional fantasy world where everything is possible," just isn't going to fly here. While we allow for custom species with backstory, lore, what-have-you, there is still a limit to what is acceptable on the RP server. A, and I quote, "humanized retarded pet," is not an acceptable character. Mental illness isn't a replacement for character traits.

I recommend giving the rules a proper read through this time, taking better care to curb your frustrations and not let them control your actions; and hey, I'll lift the ban if you can tell me which Rule I got that screencap of unacceptable example names from.

https://katlin.dog/citadel-rules/main < Rules Page.

Max_steelf

Post by Max_steelf »

Mb. I didn't *Literally* mean that my character is retarded with a mental illness, it was just a metaphor and I didn't expect you to take it on the literal sense. And before you refer me to the rules please do note I haven't visited that page, and rather the rules made for the RP server right here-------> https://citadel-station-rules.my-free.w ... rver-rules

Where it CLEARLY doesn't mention a rule about names anywhere?Image

I'm not disregarding what you said about the main server's rules applying to the RP ones but I don't play the main server and therefore I had no reason to check the rules of it. If they do apply, then it should've been clarified on the RP server's rules.
For the record, I didn't want to ban you, but you've managed several notes within a short-time span, all around characters that don't fit the bill of the RP server,
tbh IDK what you're talking about. I have only two characters, one is somewhat a normal fellow and the other we're currently discussing.
I'll lift the ban if you can tell me which Rule I got that screencap of unacceptable example names from.

One last teeny tiny clarification.
NT would not hire incompetent or mentally ill crew members; at least not in serious jobs (roles like cook, janitor, etc are more believable for someone who is “special”). The station is a workplace, and people who constantly act like children would be quickly expelled. When in doubt, act as you would at your own workplace.
[*]Visitor is considered a job now? I guess it is on this fictional fantasy world.

Dapnee

Post by Dapnee »

Alright, I'm gonna go over what you decided to pick over with this.

You're only reading the addendum rules for RP, RP uses both rule sets together. The section of rule 3 you are missing is the additional info: "This means that your character must be believable. " A character named Bark, is anything but believable, specially with the context you're playing this character on the RP server (not to say you wouldn't be ostracized on main either). Do not use being a Visitor as permission to break immersion/do something goofy. Spamming barks also falls under rule 3.
tbh IDK what you're talking about. I have only two characters, one is somewhat a normal fellow and the other we're currently discussing.
They're speaking of your note from joining as Renault, which you've had a discussion about that already. This note was just the day before you came in as "Bark".

I feel you're still missing the point of why you were banned. RP is supposed to be high roleplay and coming as two joke characters within 24 hours of each other says you should rethink how you play in general. As well, you should read the entirety of the rules again. Stop making excuses for bad decisions and follow the rules.

Max_steelf

Post by Max_steelf »

I'm not making excuses nor am I making joke characters. I'm justifying what happened with the given circumstances. I ruined someone's immersion with my characters? strange, I wonder what kind of interaction left that impression. To me it feels like you're trying to make the situation bigger over really nothing.

Silicons

Post by Silicons »

problem somewhat stems from none of this being written well anywhere

although main and rp run off the same naming rules you are able to get away with a hell of a lot more on main rather than rp, which will cause confusion. considering we literally have someone named Butter running around passing out butterdogs as chef I don't think any of us would bat an eye at a fox named Bark who.. barked at things, but both would come under fire real fast on RP server and for good reason.

Captain277

Post by Captain277 »

In the interests of avoiding future confusion, the server rules have been put up on the Wiki in a more accessible format. They can be found on the Wiki main page and under the Guides and Regulations categories. I'll provide the link here as well, to save us all a trip.

https://citadel-station.net/wikiRP/inde ... =The_Rules

On the subject of the ban, Max has exhibited consistent LRP behavior, including things like playing a human character that doesn't have a last name. Considering the number and nature of notes he has quickly accumulated on the RP server, I am personally inclined to recommend upholding the ban, or lifting it under a serious probationary period. Transitioning to the RP server takes some adjustment, but I haven't received the impression that Max is willing to conform to the environment.

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Max, you don't seem like a malicious person, and I'd like to see you return at some point, but maybe you're not fit for the RP server at this moment. After discussing it with the other staff that posted their comments here, I'm going to keep the permanent ban in place. However, you may appeal this ban at a later date when you have received a vouch from another HRP or MRP server. These include, but aren't limited to: VOREstation, Baystation, Paradise station.

A vouch is just asking for an administrator on other server to speak on your behalf for your behavior; if they say you're good, we'll let you back in.