[Various] Picothea - Main Server, not a game ban, but a concept ban

Picothea

[Various] Picothea - Main Server, not a game ban, but a concept ban

Post by Picothea »

Another edit:
I'm still feeling demotivated to join the server, but I would at least appreciate a response to this now that the one thing I got into trouble for has been nerfed into inconvenience.

BYOND account and character name: Picothea - Katho & Bolaji

Banning admin: Dzahlus, R3dtaile

Ban type: Warned to never create safe, non-antag Xenomorphs again after having done so several times.

Ban reason: Alleged player complaints, stress for staff.

Your side of the story:

Yeah this might be a bit lengthy.

So, within the last few weeks, I have been searching for ways to play as Xenomorphs, since they are one of my favorite roles in the game. However, I don't mean to cause trouble, so I don't want to create antagonists or do anything risky for the server population. What I wanted to do instead was find a way to put a crew member in control of an alien body instead, which would require them to remain friendly and support the station instead. I thought this sounded fucking awesome.
At one point, another player utilized silver slime extracts and happened to create an Alien Drone Cube, a variant of monkey cubes that instead spawns a live Alien Drone, but without any AI or player to control it (which means it's completely braindead).
I quickly began trying to replicate this for my own use, and I managed to pull it off. This seemed perfect, and I myself figured out how to perform a brain transplant to put a willing crew member's brain into the Xenomorph body. My first time doing this on the server did not go well, because nobody had told me what to avoid when this happened- and my willing test subject evolved into a queen. Although they had no hostile intent, this still caused a major problem on the station and security slaughtered the queen, and I was bwoinked by the admins for causing this.

At the time, I was given some simple rules to adhere to if I wanted to do this: No queens. No egg sacs. And above all, make SURE that the Captain (or whoever is in charge at that time) allows me to do it.

This was something I could easily follow. From there on out, I got the Captain's (or acting captain's, or if neither were there, departments heads') permission every single time I was able to use an Alien Drone Cube. I coordinated with that authority in-character, and we even set up additional precautions (such as remaining in certain areas to avoid making the crew paranoid, or having a handler assigned to me to communicate).
Things were going really well, and what's more, I know several people who really enjoyed this, and even wanted to try it for themselves. Multiple people gladly interacted with me whenever I was personally having the brain transplant, and I've had great post-round conversation about the roleplaying potential and fun things that happened.
I was enjoying myself with a fun concept that I had figured out.

But, after having done this a few times (entirely thanks to RNG, because I had spent several days without being able to get a single one of the cubes), I was contacted by R3dtaile again who told me I was doing this too frequently. The "gimmick" had been "run into the ground", and allegedly, some players were making complaints (which not just feels unfair to me, but I was also never told what specifics they complained about). I was told by admins to do this less frequently.
So I asked how much is too frequent, but nobody could answer me. What am I supposed to think about that?
I knew I had been really lucky and managed to do this more than once a day a few times, so I toned it down to not even trying at all for a day or two. Today, I came back on the server, and what do you know, I get another drone cube and the acting captain authorizes me to perform the experiment. This leads to a pretty nice time where I spend most of the round with another character who has an IC history with mine.

Buuut then I get bwoinked by Dzahlus, and the following happens:
(Missing the last admin DM where I was told it was the final one. Of note, what I said about heretics and traitors was said to be completely fine)

I sent an ahelp after this to ask where I could appeal for a concept like this, and R3dtaile pointed me here.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I don't think this is being approached in the right way by staff, and I feel very unfairly treated for having this taken away from me, especially before I've even gotten to share it with other players' characters who have been looking for the same thing.
So, the main problem is that players make complaints, and that it "escalates", right?

Like I said in the replies to Dzahlus, I don't care if I get validhunted. As far as I know (because I was never once shown a single one of these complaints), what players are complaining ABOUT is that they're confused because I'm a valid target loose on the station. Just... don't bother? There is a reason why my character doesn't get killed IC when I have a Xenomorph brain transplant. I take IC precautions and make sure there's actually people around who fully understand the situation- including the goddamn Captain. This isn't something admins should have to deal with in the first place, it's 100% an IC situation, and not something I do without roleplay. The only problem here are players who make unnecessary ahelps, and that's not supposed to be my fault for doing science and roleplay.
Just let it run its course. I have my IC precautions. There's no reason for the admins to take on the role of explaining this OOC when we already have IC means to explain it- or means to kill it.

And secondly, "escalation"? I've asked about this over and over, and I've asked if any of the admins have a problem with me personally, but nobody seems to have problems with me, and I get no explanation about the escalation.
I really, really have to ask what it is I escalate things to. What happened?
The very first time I succeeded at a brain transplant, we had the incident with the queen. This never happened again, not a single time, unless someone is counting times after the round ended where I have evolved, but that's a mistake on their part.
While playing as a non-antag alien, I've never done anything disruptive. I haven't destroyed gear, I haven't attacked people, I haven't tackled anyone, I haven't gotten on the bad side of the people who authorized me- nothing. I have been utterly spotless.
However, I still feel that whoever is saying this about me has to be mistaking other people's bad acts for something I did. There was one round where the second xenobiologist overused gold slime extracts and filled the station with hostile monsters. This wasn't something I did.
In other situations, there were bombings and atmos breaches happening near me. Once again, completely unrelated to me.
Whoever came up with this about me really needs to explain this to me.

And lastly, "gimmick"? This is pretty rude. I don't do this for a simple gimmick or just to laugh. I do this because it's actually a fun source of a roleplay and I have several recurring encounters with characters who are interested in these scenes.

And with those things said, I just want to have fun. Why are you taking away the most entertaining thing I've done? It is absolutely safe, it doesn't cause an actual Xenomorph outbreak. Every step of the procedure has been tested repeatedly and there are no flaws. I'm having fun, my friends are having fun, bystanders are having fun (and I've been hugged a shitton of times while playing xeno now). Why are you limiting this?

The least I want is an alternative to this that isn't being told to "just play a hybrid". You know that isn't the same thing. Throw me a bone here, give me SOME kind of Xenomorph fun that isn't a rarity. It's the only thing I feel like doing, and I will take any precaution for it.

CygnusB
BYOND Username: CygnusB

Re: [Various] Picothea - Main Server, not a game ban, but a concept ban

Post by CygnusB »

if you want to play xenomorph play a xenomorph character, the one you can select on the character setup, not a feral xenomorph.
brain-transplanting into a feral one:
-causes a false alarm of xenomorphs
-ruins the communication for other xenomorphs due to you, a crewmember, having access to their only means of long distance communication
and a whole lot more that I don't even want to get into 'cause I know you're deadbrained on this subject and you're gonna keep trying to budge your way into it no matter what anyone says, i'll be surprised if this even gets another reply before being closed

Redtail

Re: [Various] Picothea - Main Server, not a game ban, but a concept ban

Post by Redtail »

Right, Silicons, the headmin, gave their ruling on it. And have stated that they will not be budging on it. So thus, closing it. Take care.