Community Chat Migration

This typically applies to the community in general.

What chat system should we use?

Total votes: 0

Jay

Community Chat Migration

Post by Jay »

So there's been talk about moving to a different chat system other than Skype. With that in mind a few different programs have been listed. I'm going to leave it to the community to decide on what should be used. Majority rule will matter based on what we used, so I'll have a poll system in place.

Please explain your reason for the preference voted on.

Poojawa

RE: Community Chat Migration

Post by Poojawa »

Reasons for Discord:

Free
Doesn't mix your phone number with your contacts
Doesn't add all of your real life contacts to your list
Free Voice chatting
IRC like chat with clear permissions.
neat game integration
Web client, desktop and mobile clients for both android and Apple
no advertisements

FeninJ

Post by FeninJ »

Jay wrote: So there's been talk about moving to a different chat system other than Skype. With that in mind a few different programs have been listed. I'm going to leave it to the community to decide on what should be used. Majority rule will matter based on what we used, so I'll have a poll system in place.

Please explain your reason for the preference voted on.
I picked Skype, largely because I have contacts other than ones on here and don't want to deal with juggling multiple programs, before you offer me a program that can tie them all together, I don't want to have to deal with that.  I am a pretty simple person. :u

I know a few people seem to be having serious issues with Skype though, and obviously I can't see into the future to read the poll, but I think Skype will likely be the winner, if not by much.  So, instead of arguing, we might should start now.  If you have problems with Skype, get with people here, and try to work them out.  Even if Skype loses, you might still come ahead for the time in between. 

The absolute last thing we need is a community split, or cliques being created where some people use Skype, or some go to Telegram, or some go to IRC.  That would be maximum self destruct mode.  I think we can all agree there.  No matter if you use it on mobile, or desktop, or connect to skype on the god damn ISS wifi.  We gotta stick together.

Theoun

Post by Theoun »

Pretty much what Pooj said for Discord, but I'm instead going to slam Skype, which:
- Uses stupid amounts of memory on all devices
- Drains battery and data more than other modern messengers to an absurd degree
- Laggy as absolute ass if your mobile hardware isn't THE NEWEST
- Features between mobile and desktop are weird, I've had to add people on both devices before I could talk to them on both
- Ads fucking everywhere (and in my experience, malicious ones which open webpages)
- Is generally unacceptably bad compared to everything else on everything bar user-base, which isn't an issue if we all move.

Please don't make me tolerate Skype any more. Don't make YOURSELF tolerate it any more.

Turgent

Post by Turgent »

Discord because I already have it installed and everything else is new/is Skype and Skype is mediocre.

TalkingCactus

Post by TalkingCactus »

Essentially the same reasons as Poojawa listed.

Leon_Leonardo

Post by Leon_Leonardo »

Skype because I have 0 reason to have yet another IM.

FoxSequence

Post by FoxSequence »

I concur with many of the pro-Discord reasons above. Discord is simply a superior platform in many respects.

I do feel the need to say, however, that if we still have to use Skype, that is fine with me.

Chargae

Post by Chargae »

I say keep skype. Discord is too much of an unknown and I flatly refuse to make another new IM account just for Citadel.

Zeldazackman

Post by Zeldazackman »

At this point, I'd be willing to try out discord if only for less potential for malicious adverts.