In Regards to the No Suicide rule for Cit-Main.

GrayRachnid

Re: In Regards to the No Suicide rule for Cit-Main.

Post by GrayRachnid »

I'd still like to see this rule removed and i'd appreciate a headmin's input on it, especially Izzy since they're the one re-writing the rules.

Dapnee

Post by Dapnee »

I’m going to mostly not discuss this because I’m still more or less against the idea of the suicide verb existing in the game, only because I came from Oracle which had the button removed and had stricter rules in cryoing vs ghosting, where punishments occurred for repeatedly ghosting/gibbing instead of properly exiting the round.

So with regards to the GBJ questions in here, seeing as they’re more or less my fault in having them be asked, let me go over a few things.

If you’re GBJ’d, PLEASE AHELP. While there isn’t a specific rule against being walled off, it can and will be under the Don't be a dick rule if found to be: pointless, used maliciously, done by someone that has no rights doing so (see nonantag). There’s exceptions of course, but these are rare and GBJ shouldn’t be a thing people do normally to begin with.

Admins can and will let you out if this occurs normally (I’m not “every” admin and again, exceptions occur). Deciding to suicide/ghost does not inherently punish your capturer, heck, they probably wanted you to do so. You’ll be doing more of a service to yourself by not just hitting a button that fully takes you out of the round.

In any event that feels unfair/rules are being broken/you’re uncomfortable, ahelp. An admin will see it and will make an effort in deciding how to deal with it. We’re not mind readers and it’s much easier to get issues fixed then and there, rather than waiting for it to get worse.

Lastly, if you’re going to bring this up and be super vague about it, you’re not doing yourself a favor. If you’re going to point fingers but not “actually” say my name or the entirety of the cited issue at hand, then it’s not something to discuss in here.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

This discussion wasn't targeted at you specifically, it was brought up at this time because GBJ served as a discussion point. My main concern is still the removal of the rule, GBJ was just one of the reasons as to why you'd want to suicide/ghost. Suiciding already locks you out of ghost roles like cryo and i'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to just add the same mechanic of opening job slots to suiciding the same way cryo does. I'll even do it myself if removing the rule goes through because as it stands I don't see why suiciding was an issue that needed to be in the rules when it can be solved by code.

Dapnee

Post by Dapnee »

Considering this server isn’t really the place people go to antag on, I still feel a rule to prevent people from antag farming is still necessary. Just opening a slot doesn’t deal with the same thing a rule does, the game can’t parse why someone’s ghosted, like if I needed to fix something that I can only do by ghosting>deleting>making physical again to fix a player, your system would delete them from the crew manifest.

But again, allowing suicide/ghosting due to GBJ doesn’t punish the player it should and shouldn’t be the option. But again, this is more of an Izzy thing thanks to the fact they’re the one rewriting the rules with a few suggestions from staff and the public.

The post bringing up GBJ was made on a specific day and most definitely is pointed my way, but sure, we can ignore that.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

I brought it up at the time because it seemed like a perfect time to bring the topic, considering the heated discussion in regards to GBJ. However, again, this was not primarily directed at you.

In regards to ghosting, aghosting would obviously be excluded and it'll be locked to the 'ghost' verb and only if done while alive(as in when you get the pop-up).

I don't see what's wrong with tying this mechanic to unlocking job slots if that is the reason this rule exists.

Nethaufer

Post by Nethaufer »

He means having the player in question ghost, not the admin.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

Err why not just straight up delete them? It automatically ghosts them. If coded right, it would only clear the slot when the player ghosts while alive.

ForrestWick

Post by ForrestWick »

Yknow what sucks is that sometimes IC it actually makes perfect sense to just out and out suicide. Like there are people who reasonably would just end their life if caught be a cult and about to get converted or just suicide because the stresses of the situation get to them.

The unfortunate thing is that the suicide verb is used too much for memes and as a means to escape getting converted to an antag role just because you dont like the role, which thus invalidates all attempts made to try converting. So eh... I think k the rule was made with that in mind and was just worded poorly tbh