A suggestion on admin feedback and transparency.

Anything related to new features, changes, or icons should be posted here.
Nik707

A suggestion on admin feedback and transparency.

Post by Nik707 »

Hey all. After a fairly lengthy discussion in the discord voice, I've decided to make an official post for people to speak their thoughts on, on record. Many people believed a great idea would be something of a change-log for admin actions, punitive or otherwise if needed. Something like a list that includes player name, the action taken, and possibly a brief description of why. This stemmed from discussion of some a-helps in the discord being deleted with no feedback, and no response, thus no one knowing if anything had come of it at all, which reduced the confidence in doing it at all. Any thoughts or additions to the idea would be appreciated.
Edit. 
This had been implemented by Jay
https://citadel-station.net/statbus/ban.php
Last edited by Nik707 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonaldTrumpTheCommunist

RE: A suggestion on admin feedback and transparency.

Post by DonaldTrumpTheCommunist »

johnnyvitrano wrote: Hey all. After a fairly lengthy discussion in the discord voice, I've decided to make an official post for people to speak their thoughts on, on record. Many people believed a great idea would be something of a change-log for admin actions, punitive or otherwise if needed. Something like a list that includes player name, the action taken, and possibly a brief description of why. This stemmed from discussion of some a-helps in the discord being deleted with no feedback, and no response, thus no one knowing if anything had come of it at all, which reduced the confidence in doing it at all. Any thoughts or additions to the idea would be appreciated.
Agreed good suggestion  :)

LeonDuvall

Post by LeonDuvall »

I second this sentiment, my suggestion that I stated in admin-forum was a list such as this: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?70 ... -Blacklist

Ruby Flamewing

Post by Ruby Flamewing »

Well, I'm sure it got mentioned at some point, but the admin-help channel in the Discord gets cleaned out when the issues posted up there are resolved. Otherwise, it gets super cluttered and you got staff asking "hey, did this particular instance get addressed?" "I dunno, I wasn't available/on/paying attention when it happened."
Then you have to spend the entire day pinging every single person as you notice them come online JUST to find out if they handled it or not. So if it's up for over a day, folks know that hey, good chance no one handled it and that means someone ought to go log diving and get the matter looked into, even pinging folks if possible in-game or on Discord to get that info.

So those ahelps posted in Discord aren't deleted because they exist, they get deleted only when the matter they're over has been investigated and resolved. I'd have hoped that the message got spread around, but apparently it didn't, so here's the official statement on why ahelps in the admin-help channel poof on an *eventually* scale.

Though, if there was something that could produce safe logs 'n stuff, would be nice, but my understanding is folks would have to figure out how to code that stuff from scratch and do serious testing just to get it to even work properly. What tools available for such purposes either revealed too much information or just don't work anymore...with my understanding being both are applied to what we *had* before-hand. I try to keep up, doesn't mean I know all or anything.
It is only waffer thin.

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

We know why they are deleted, we just don't know what action is taken and if the a-help was something that was justified, or if we wrongly a-helped. That's the big issue.

Trojan_Coyote

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

I don't agree with a log detailing all punishment dealt by admins. The players it pertains to (the person with the punishment being dealt to them) is the one that knows. Otherwise, you will have people screaming and yelling over this or that because in their eyes it isn't fair, or you'll have people attacking others in discord or metagrudging for what they got punished for. -1 from me.

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

I should add, Jay said in the admin-forum on discord that he'd work on a ban list, so I guess this thread is now not really needed.