Remove swarmer ruin for lavaland

Anything related to new features, changes, or icons should be posted here.

Should the swarmer ruin be taken out?

Total votes: 0

Kersakof

Remove swarmer ruin for lavaland

Post by Kersakof »

There's many shifts where lavaland swarmers just ruin it entirely for the miners. Swarmers themselves are too fast, and they multiply way too easily before anyone can deal with them. They come in the rotation so often than I'm just sick of them, and I've heard nothing but complaints. There's even been instances where they teleport mobs such as Hierophant into the miner's base and that has a chance to just ruin their shift, without it being the miner's fault. I've attached a poll to get a bigger ideal of how many people want it removed.

NESgamer190

RE: Remove swarmer ruin for lavaland

Post by NESgamer190 »

Kersakof wrote: There's many shifts where lavaland swarmers just ruin it entirely for the miners. Swarmers themselves are too fast, and they multiply way too easily before anyone can deal with them. They come in the rotation so often than I'm just sick of them, and I've heard nothing but complaints. There's even been instances where they teleport mobs such as Hierophant into the miner's base and that has a chance to just ruin their shift, without it being the miner's fault. I've attached a poll to get a bigger ideal of how many people want it removed.
Okay, so my whole take on the swarmers on lavaland:  I personally see them as somewhat fast, but not to the levels of being able to traverse z-levels in space via jump boots, so that part of the swarmers, I personally am not in agreeance on, but I do not blame you on the multiplying part, and I have witnessed the swarmer harassment toss megafauna into the outpost, easily ruining the miners' chances for survival.  (Not only is it basically an ambush, but it's also in a not too easily navigable area.) 

On the whole, with the whole teleporting megafauna upon the miners part, I am more than convinced to want these scrappies gone.

Girdo

RE: Remove swarmer ruin for lavaland

Post by Girdo »

Swarmers are a mixed bag. I can see POTENTIAL for them being fun, but currently, they're annoying, broken, and wasting space. 

I'd rather have the swarmers MODIFIED instead of completely removed, but I have zero coding experience, and it's probably easier to delete than it is to edit.

With that being said, here are what I see as the main problems with the swarmers:

1. They have the ability to teleport ALL mobs, including megafauna and bosses (i.e. drakes, hierophant). Perhaps modify them so they can only teleport human-sized creatures. This would solve the base-death problem.

2. Unlike player-controlled swarmers, the lavaland ruins include electrocution and laser variants - both of which are lethal - for.... reasons? I guess? There's really no reason for them to exist other than to "make the ruins harder", which leads to my last point.

3. There is currently zero reward for killing the swarmer beacon. None. Zip. Sure, you get bluespace crystals from the dead swarmers, but no actual reward for stopping them other than "congratulations, now you won't find a collossus in your mining outpost". If there was an actual incentive or reward for stopping the swarmers, instead of the ruins just being a random detriment, it would be less aggravating and more fun.

With that being said, it's probably easier to just remove the swarmer ruins from the spawns altogether.