Yakumo_Chen

[Yakumochen] Admin Application (Main)

Post by Yakumo_Chen »

BYOND ckey: Yakumochen (Yakumo_Chen)
Character name: Chen Kyukumo, Marisa Kirie, A.L.I.C.E. the AI
Discord username (+user id): Nekomata-tan#3128
How long have you played on Citadel?: May of this year
How long have you played SS13?: Since 2014
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: EST, 10PM thru 6 AM.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: None.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: I'm a frequent forum / discord moderator for mid-size servers.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: nobody currently
Reason for application: There's frequently few or no admins in my timezone, that being night / late night, and I'd like to help maintain the quality of the server, both for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of others. It pains me when I see grief happening late at night, with no admins to respond.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
Context is quite important, and I'll admit I can often get heated myself in issues I am passionate about. I think the best first step to do is to try and get between the players, and tell them to cool it. A very brief OOC mute can do the trick. Turn things off, ask people to settle down, turn it back on. Possibly suggest making an ahelp over the discord if it's an issue related to IC. Bwoinks OOC goes off for a few minutes if things start turning to insults. Wait and see if it moves to Discord, possibly ask if one of the players if things move to DMs and if the altercation is still ugly, if the altercation is bad enough. Admin action at that point might be warranted, harassment is a very serious issue.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
Absolutely don't try to intervene in your own issues. I'd go ask for another admin to come in if none are on the server, otherwise ask another admin online to mediate it. Gently suggest the player wronged to make an ahelp on the discord, if unable, or make one myself, if I have to. People are always looking out for themselves first and foremost, and I would assume that applies to admins as well, don't let bias get in the way and don't fix things you're involved in.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
There's a lot of context involved. I'd first prioritize the severity of the issue. A heinous breach of rules that is going to warrant a ban either way isn't going to need much debate. How disruptive the rulebreak was is also an important factor. Someone who got into a personal fight with someone over the course of two hours, ending in one guy being spaced, probably will get off a lot easier (although that would probably still warrant some kind of action) than someone who FNR murdered another guy. Someone who blew up toxins by accident probably won't be in as much trouble as someone who blew up medbay by accident (because why would you really have a bomb there?). Notes is the final factor. Successive rulebreaks should definitely be more severe, especially for repeat offenses in a short period of time. I believe notes are coded to be soft-removed after a period of time, but someone who has an old note will probably be given much less of a sentence then someone who has a fresh offense for similar behavior.
I think it's also important to consider what type of ban to give out. A full server ban should be the last stop in severity (other than the length of it). A job ban should be considered first if it would be enough to dole out, although if the job was a problem and it's severe, I'd likely also include one with a server ban if needed.
I think cooperation in ahelps should be a considered factor, but not a major one. While I don't enjoy getting lip from players, I know personally that an ahelp over something that might be frivolous can push someone over the edge after an already stressful time. Someone cooperating a lot might get a lighter sentence, but I don't think I'd be very willing to give a worse punishment to a player that's having a bad time already. Although, I'd probably make an exception to that rule if they were intentionally lying to me as well.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
Antagonists is a given, but I think admins should be de-admined when they're playing a role important to station operations. This also goes without saying that heads, AI, and security are included in this, but I also might consider de-admining if I'm doing a semi-important role like cyborg, an engineer setting up the engine, or jobs in Science or Medical that stand a fairly high chance of getting involved with antagonists in some way, even indirectly. A lot of very out of the way jobs are fine to stay admin in, like Shaft Miner, or an engineer doing solars or doing a project for example, or assistant, or even service jobs that wouldn't be all that affected if I had to aghost out for whatever reason.
To be honest I might be entirely wrong with this answer, however, since I don't have the experience as a ss13 admin to really say what goes and what shouldn't.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
I think the players look up to admins. They should set an example for model play, and model attitude. An individual admin also represents the whole, and while I wouldn't expect admins to be squeaky clean, I think they should be trying their best to present themselves in a positive manner, because one foul or incompetent admin can do a lot to lower the overall opinion of Citadel staff. This doesn't mean they need to be professional, but they should be amicable. I think they should set an example in game as well. Citadel claims to be a Medium RP server, I'd be disappointing if I saw an admin doing nothing but No RP Powergaming every shift.
Obviously an admin should have a very strong grasp on how the game works, and preferably on a code level. They're mentors as well as moderators. Finally they should work as a team. One admin can't know everything, and I'd be wary of one that thinks their judgement is always perfect and correct. SS13 is a game about communication, but the staff is where communication is needed most.
Do I live up to these standards? I would say yes. I don't claim to be the most outgoing person on Citadel, I try to maintain a pretty amicable attitude whenever possible. What makes up for it is that I'm highly driven, and I'm highly motivated to maintain a high standard of quality, for things I care a lot about improving.

DeltaFire

Re: [Yakumochen] Admin Application (Main)

Post by DeltaFire »

Ehhhh, personally I don't think you are admin material, so a -1 from me.

HazelBailey

Re: [Yakumochen] Admin Application (Main)

Post by HazelBailey »

Hello Yakumo, thank you for applying, but unfortunately, due to lack of support, I'm going to be declining your application. Feel free to apply again in the future, if you wish.