[cafaling] - Admin Application

Cafaling

[cafaling] - Admin Application

Post by Cafaling »

BYOND ckey: cafaling
Character name: Reece Eliza, Cheri Rifler
Discord username (+user id): Balding Steven#1548
How long have you played on Citadel?: Played for half a year 4 years ago, recently started playing again 4-5 months ago.
How long have you played SS13?: 6-7 years at this point.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: Timezone is EST, Active hours are 4 PM-12 AM Weekdays, potentially all day Weekends
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Moderator on long defunct Hypatia, Mentor and briefly temporary admin on Hippie station sometime during 2015-2016.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: Personal experience mediating disputes between peers and training newly hired co-workers.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Haha, none yet!
Reason for application: Some part of this is definitely a spur of the moment thing, but I've been back for a solid few months and found the server far more agreeable than when I last played here. I'm no perfect player and have notes/bans on my ckey since my return, but I also believe that I've demonstrated I'm levelheaded and reasonable at times. Staff applications have gotten reopened recently and now is as good a time as any to throw myself into the open. If I get admin I intend to prove my capabilities, if not at least I'll get a good read on how you guys feel about me as a player, which I can use to work on improving. Win-win.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

Start by determining the severity and nature of the altercation and if possible separate the two to handle the situation. Get both side's stories and compare to assess the situation. Is this a one-off event? Is this a repeat pattern? Act accordingly. Single situation altercations of low severity such as two people brawling over petty OOC issues would be best handled with a warning or note if one of the players is particularly uncooperative. More severe situations, such as cases of confirmed metagrudge that are known and have notes recording would likely see a ban for the instigator. If the situation is a discord based issue, try to de-escalate and calm both parties, kicking/muting the player if they ignore requests/warnings to disengage.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

Involving oneself in an administrative capacity in any situation that an admin is already part of from an IC standpoint would lead to a conflict of interest that may cause biased rulings. The best situation is to ahelp and wait for another admin to handle the situation- unless it's a blatant case of mass grief or a gamebreaking bug that the admin could fix easily. Other exceptions exist, but these are two that come to mind.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

Consider the circumstances of the situation that led to the violation as well as whether this is a pattern of behaviour. Did an Assistant break into the Captain's Office and steal the Captain's Hat? This could be seen as a violation of the rules but is at the same time relatively harmless on its own and best left to be handled IC. Is there an important role with limited slots consistently being taken by someone who regularly neglects their duties to explore space/self antag/erp? Have they received notes for doing so in the past? Have they been banned for this? In short, the punishment should be dictated by severity, pattern, and nature of the violation. Ideally, I would start with a warning and/or note, then a tempban, Jobban if this is specific to a role, and escalate the punishment for each instance of the violation.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

To be safe, I would say any time they're actively participating directly to events onboard the station. Especially so if they're Security or a head of staff. If it were an Extended round and the admin is just playing an Assistant or an equally low responsibility role, it might be permissible if they didn't make a habit of it. If they're playing a ghost role that cannot immediately contact the station it's PROBABLY okay. It'd be pretty hard for the Space Hermit to metagame anything using admin knowledge.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

Admins as a whole on any server should be respectful and impartial in dealing with players and able to maintain a calm demeanour as well as fairly make judgement calls on ahelps. More specifically, in applying to become an admin it should be understood that one is seeking to take an active role in the server's policy, rather than solely joining to play and enjoy the server's environment. Admins are given more powers and special abilities to better serve the playerbase and have the knowledge necessary to do so. As well, considering this is an 18+ server it should be obvious that admins are expected to be A: An adult and B: Respectful of fetish content so long as it isn't a violation of the rules.

kevinz000

Re: [cafaling] - Admin Application

Post by kevinz000 »

they're pretty alright in game and reasonable out of game too.
they're very experienced/well versed with the game.

answers are decent too.

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Hey, I like your responses. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, too. I'd love to see how you'd do as a trial-min cafaling.

Dapnee

Post by Dapnee »

I'd be interested in seeing you administrate, your answers are sound and all of my interactions with you in and out of game have been good. +1

subtumaka

Post by subtumaka »

Now me and cafa go waaaaay back. And I gotta say, maybe I'm a tad favorable of him, but he seems to have mellowed out from when he first started and from the other dude's say? Yeah he seems to be a good candidate.

DeltaFire

Post by DeltaFire »

Pretty good answers there. While I am not fully sure on if you'd do good as a admin, I wouldn't say no to at least trialling you to see if you got what one needs to be a good admin. So uh.. +0.5 I guess?

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

After speaking to the player in question, they declined wanting to proceed with this application due to current lack of activity on the server. Feel free to reapply if your interest returns.