[Ancientpowerer] Admin Application (Main)

ancientpower

[Ancientpowerer] Admin Application (Main)

Post by ancientpower »

BYOND ckey: Ancientpowerer (not a typo)

Character name: Eliza Fields/Yasu Mori

Discord username (+user id): ancientpower#4444

How long have you played on Citadel?: Joined a few months ago, only have about 50 hours in game (mostly as observer). The short playtime may make this seem like a joke application but I'm genuinely interested in adminning here.

How long have you played SS13?: Since 2012, but started playing heavily on and off around 2015. I played a bit of TG back in the day and I have around 2500 connections on /vg/station.

What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: GMT-5, hours vary but typically 23:00 - 08:00 GMT

Previous SS13 related admin experience: /vg/station admin/Github collaborator

Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: I've ran and helped run various small online game communities

Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: None

Reason for application: I've heard from several sources that many admins are inactive here and I think I could be helpful. I'm proactive about adminning, passionate about discussing admin issues, and strongly believe in admin transparency with respect to players. I come from a server with very different culture where furries are shunned and ERP is forbidden. I believe that experience could provide a fresh perspective to the admin team here. I have no connections with most players here so I am completely detached from their drama. Also, I am a masochist.

I'd like to become more familiar with TG's codebase and make more things for this server, which is much easier when you have access to debug tools in the live game.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
The response here is highly contextual. Is it an out of character spat brought into IC? Is it two players going off in the OOC channel? Is it an altercation outside of the game? Regardless of the context I always moderate the situation with the intention of reaching a mutual understanding between both parties. Only if they refuse to reason with each other and myself would I consider taking any real action.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
Always get another admin to handle it, period.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
This question is also highly contextual. What's their note/ban history? Are they known for toeing the line without having a particularly bad written record? If they joined just to grief then obviously that's a no warning permaban. We have a rough "scale" for admin action on /vg/ with escalating severity but it's rarely consulted since an absolute scale is unfair with how complicated player conflicts tend to be.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
Always. Others may have exceptions but they're wrong. Don't bus yourself in as anything ever, either.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
It seems that players here have mixed expectations of their admins, which I find rather disheartening. Players should expect all admins to be fair, transparent, consistent, and just in their actions.

MrJWhit

Re: [Ancientpowerer] Admin Application (Main)

Post by MrJWhit »

I'm going to be honest it's a bit weird based purely on your playtime, which you yourself admitted.

However, every single time I've had any sort of conversation with you, you've been polite, wonderful, and thoughtful. It still seems completely wild to me that you went on citadel to get ideas for /vg/, which is perfectly fair, and then said to yourself "Oh this server I don't play on? Let me give you some of these things as well". It was completely unnecessary and shows a lot about you as a person.

I honestly don't know if I can give my full support or not because I don't necessarily know that you can handle any sort of interpersonal histories purely because of the hours on the server itself.

DeltaFire

Post by DeltaFire »

Haven't had alot of interactions with you, neither in the game nor outside of the game, so I'm going to stay neutral on this. Though yeeah the low playtime on here kinda irks me a little.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

Gonna have to say no on this as well, due to your low playtime. Playtime is important when considering new staff, because without that playtime, it's hard to get a gauge on how an applicant will behave around other players.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

With the lack of support, and more notably the lack of playtime, I'm gonna have to decline your app, because it's just not enough to get a good enough gauge on how you behave around other players. Feel free to apply again when you have more time under your belt.