Ashet - Protean

Isora

Ashet - Protean

Post by Isora »

Discord name: Isora#2746

Byond ckey: Ashet

Characters you currently play: Thee Berrell, Eyitill Ae

Job/Races you are applying for: Protean

Name of the character you intend to be using (makes it easier for us to recognize and log): Endless Reflections of Mountains Abound, typically shortened to Endless Reflections

In the case of applying for a species, give us a brief summary of your character's backstory. This should give us an idea that you understand the lore of the species: Every civilization must face a crisis, for that is the nature of things. Be they of natural or artificial origin, a lot of them can destroy said civilizations and give rise to new ones. Endless Reflections' story begins in one of these civilizations on the brink of destruction. This was a natural catastrophe, caused by a dwarf planet from a nearby asteroid belt smashing into their home planet's moon, making deorbit and causing freak weather, massive tides, meteor showers and other general mayhem. This event caused billions of deaths, but that's not the point of this story. This catastrophe urged the planet's inhabitants to build more resilient bodies, which required fewer resources. This started with basic robotic bodies, not too dissimilar to modern Synthmorphs, but as the years progressed, they shifted their focus to much more advanced bodies. With nanomachines acting similarly to organic cells, but with much greater resilience and lower resource cost, these bodies started becoming the norm.

This now turns our attention to Endless Reflections of Mountains Abound, one of the earlier converts to this new innovation. Endless Reflections was a civil engineer during their time as a simpler Synth, usually working on constructing stronger bunkers and various infrastructure, capable of surviving the still prevalent meteor showers. After converting into a nanomachine based body, they started to branch out, as the new body was more or less self-maintaining with an ample supply of metal and functionally immortal due to this fact. They continued their work innovating various improvements and learning other things during their free time for several hundred years. During this time the previously common natural disasters, namely the tides and the meteor showers subsided and the surface became much more habitable, though this change didn't drive the survivors out of their habitats, as there no longer was a reason to live on the surface. They lived forever and what little resources they needed, they mined and made themselves.

Skipping a thousand years of nothing of grand importance happening, disaster struck once more. Increased activity of the local star, a sign of a solar flare and calculations and simulations showed that it was to hit the planet. A grave danger to the completely synthetic population of these habitats. And so, they went dormant, hoping that they would survive the flare and subsequent power failure by shutting themselves down. After several months, the solar flare started, although as if the calculations were wrong, or the simulations incorrect, it didn't hit the planet. As no power failure happened, no all-clear was sent, keeping the inhabitants dormant.

Thousands of years passed, with many of the previous inhabitants' structures failing and dissolving into formless masses of nanite goo in now ruined versions of their homes. Although most of the inhabitants had died due to power failure from dormancy, or natural conditions weathering what little remained of their bodies, some survived. Locked away in deep parts of the bunkers, shielded from nature's wrath, a small amount of bodies remained intact, including Endless Reflections.

A while after, a NanoTrasen colony had been built on the planet with the express purpose of studying the ruins found on the planet. Teams upon teams of explorers and researchers surveyed the bunker in which Endless Reflections rested and in a strange turn of fate, one of said researchers pressed a button they shouldn't have. This caused the half-dozen survivors nestled deep in the bunker to awaken from their thousand year slumber. Filled with a strange relief of finally awakening, they were rather cooperative with the research personnel, even though they couldn't understand them. After being transported to the colony under heavy guard, all of them were given nanite-compatible software disks, containing total knowledge of Galactic Common.

With this knowledge, all six of the survivors went on to lead their own separate lives, with Endless Reflections choosing to head into the frontier, hoping that they'll help discover new civilizations and prevent their own's fate on them, even if it's not directly.

Funny, isn't it? The several thousand year old mass of nanomachines working most likely in vain to save other civilizations.

Summarize the species. As evidence that you've looked into it: Proteans are bodies made of a swarm of nanomachines with very few solid organs, which are used to replenish, control and organize the nanomachines. They're extremely advanced and are only found in highly advanced civilizations or expensive and often secret research laboratories.

In the case of applying for Mime/Clown, what are you intending to do to make them distinct and enjoyable: Honk (N/A)

What do you expect to happen if you use this race/job to violate any of the server rules?: Depends on what violations I make. In the case of race-specific violations, e.g. ability abuse and such, I can expect my whitelist to be removed. If I make any violations not related to the species, I can expect sufficient punishment for the violation, be it a stern talking to or a ban.

I'm fully prepared for this to be judged mercilessly and promptly denied.

AvaricePleonexia

Re: Ashet - Protean

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Sorry for the super late response, Isora. I meant to comment on this but forgot, and, it got pushed to the back burner of my life - anyways, I have a few free minutes to read over this, and, I'm very happy with the amount of effort you've put into the backstory of your character here. You put in effort, and, as I've said countless times in the past, it means something when it shows. The only gripe I have with this is that it's yet another Protean app, but, hey, I'm not gonna turn you down when you so clearly want it - and, could possibly liven up the RP atmosphere with this character's mere existence. In short, but no less in effect, this application has my support. Thank you for writing it.

Soulstolen

Re: Ashet - Protean

Post by Soulstolen »

I actually really like the backstory on this one to be very honest with you, I demand you make a book on it or something. Now while I really do like it, a few iffy points come up with the fact that these machines are basically thousands of years old well before the modern era of most species, if not well farther back. A fair point to remember that proteans are extremely rare on the scale and should not be as common, I wouldn't let that be a reason to deny a perfectly good story though that actually had time and effort put into it, considering the fact of what Ava said, it's a character who seems built on the purpose of RP and not someone who just wants to make an old character become a blob of nanites. I personally don't think your backstory however would prove to be breaking to RP or anything, that is all in my opinion and I like this app, you get a gold sticker from me.