theknightofaura Diona whitelist

Auraknight

theknightofaura Diona whitelist

Post by Auraknight »

Discord name: Auraknight#5417

Byond ckey: theknightofaura

Characters you currently play: San Kun, Aura KNIGHT

Job/Races you are applying for: Diona

Name of the character you intend to be using: Starfall-into-KNIGHT (Nickname; Starfall)

Backstory summary: The KNIGHT family adopt many who come to them for help. Starfall wasn't exactly intending to come to them, but when falling in an escape pod out of orbit, one doesn't always have the luxury of choice. The family was more then happy to accept the Diona, disorientated as they where, and assisted them in returning to space to resume duties in their previous working. A few awkward shifts of being ordered around unhappily later, and the Diona found themselves back with the family, who officially adopted them, and used some of their political sway to get their new family member a new job at Citadel station, with just enough confidence to say 'hey, Please stop'. Which was a fair bit of improvement over what they had before. The addition of willing blood donors from the family likewise helping them grow more acceptance of others

Summarize the species. As evidence that you've looked into it: Intelligent hivemind plants, but slightly more recluse, or perhaps, introspective then an average person. Tend to the quieter side, not prone to random outbursts, but still capable of being pushed too far, as well as maintaining a conversation once it's been made clear they're expected to be talking back. Overall very friendly, patient, and willing to help where they can, as well as very wide-spread due to their very enduring nature later in their lifecycle, and capability for trade without unified governing.

What do you expect to happen if you use this race to violate any of the server rules?: The same as if I violated any of the server rules as any other race. A stern talking to, or warning. I don't expect to be doing anything that would violate rules, and definitely don't think I'd accidentally do anything ban-worthy

HarliChan

Re: theknightofaura Diona whitelist

Post by HarliChan »

As HLM I am going to request a freeze on this for now, Your backstory summary is really...odd for a Diona? It almost doesn't make very much sense to me at all for this species. Others can still give their feedback. Diona don't have government/society/relationships/family structure, not to be "that guy" but the idea of a Diona being adopted is quite out of their playbook, or even being a part of a "family" other then their...eventual cluster? Diona do not do tend to do anything like that. It's not that it couldn't happen per-say it just says to me you might not be familiar with the lore we are currently using for the species. I'd recommend reading through https://wiki.vore-station.net/Diona this page on the VORE wiki and making sure this is the character you'd like to build before proceeding as it could potentially effect results.

Auraknight

Post by Auraknight »

HarliChan wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:43 pm
As HLM I am going to request a freeze on this for now, Your backstory summary is really...odd for a Diona? It almost doesn't make very much sense to me at all for this species. Others can still give their feedback. Diona don't have government/society/relationships/family structure, not to be "that guy" but the idea of a Diona being adopted is quite out of their playbook, or even being a part of a "family" other then their...eventual cluster? Diona do not do tend to do anything like that. It's not that it couldn't happen per-say it just says to me you might not be familiar with the lore we are currently using for the species. I'd recommend reading through https://wiki.vore-station.net/Diona this page on the VORE wiki and making sure this is the character you'd like to build before proceeding as it could potentially effect results.
Hi! Yes, I did read that! Part of what it says about adopting habits from the people surrounding it is what I was basing off of: In this case, the KNIGHT family's tendancy to adopt and welcome allcomers who need their help like family. Some stick around more then others, and some are, shall we say, closer? family? I totally get where you're coming from, though! I know it's not exactly... standard, and I tried to represent me knowing what they where about in my species summery. The intent was that a friendly, and welcoming, 'help first' attitude, treating people who need assistance as if they where family, was a big thing they'd picked up. As a counterpoint: do you think a Diona would decline the offer of adoption if it was clear that it wouldn't hinder the end goal of merging and becoming a colony-sized mass? If so, sorry!

HarliChan

Post by HarliChan »

Yeah, The naming scheme is a bit off for Diona as they don't generally name themselves after anyone or anything in particular, nor do they have anything akin to surnames which is being used in this situation, Also The Diona are beings with no concept of society and very little concept of community, they are essentially nomadic plants wandering the galaxy in search of knowledge to take back to their gestalt at some point in their life, they operate very instinctively. The idea of being adopted I imagine, while not impossible is extremely unlikely and a Diona would normally look at a community/familial situation with great unfamiliarity.

In conclusion; The adoptive family bit is a bit of a stretch but as we are using Virgo lore right now and it doesn't say anything against that specifically, you could do it. But keep in mind we are writing our own lore for the Diona as well and this is likely to be subject to change in the future. All in all its very doable but I do discourage it.

The name however will definitely need to change, you'll have to abandon the KNIGHT name and go with something else, its just too much for a Diona name and too out of character for me to be comfortable stamping an approval on this. If you change this and understand that you might need to re-write your characters backstory later due to us developing our own lore then I will unfreeze this and let the application process continue, With my support in fact.

Auraknight

Post by Auraknight »

I'll be really sad to see it go, as the family relation between the characters is something that I really enjoy when making them. I had made the name as I personally would see it as categorized as a 'significant moment in their makeup', but perhaps I am misunderstanding that slightly. However, if you insist, I will default to a name you might find more preferable: 'Starlight-Over-Water'. It is a more generic name I use for Diona elsewhere. Likewise, I will prepare to shift the backstory to whatever lore you end up with, though I'd greatly prefer to be able to keep the themeing of a Diona who has 'taken a shine to' the concepts of family as a major part of it's learning influence, and will be trying to keep a similar theme in whatever the Diona end up as, unless it is totally out of the picture.

Captain277

Post by Captain277 »

Having read over the thread, I concur with Harli's analysis. With the name/behavior of the Diona updated to be more in line with the canon, I'm happy to approve this. Just keep in mind that Diona lore will eventually be changing and your character's backstory may be impacted. We generally try to keep the Lore impact on player agency low, but when it comes to essentially redefining a race, there's more risk of fallout than usual. Since I can tell you understand this though, I'm happy to go ahead and approve your Whitelist application at this time.