Tether Improvement Project

Unified DevForums for Citadel Station RP
VARKA & Selyn

Tether Improvement Project

Post by VARKA & Selyn »

With the Tether Overhaul on hold and no new maps forthcoming I think its about time to try to make the best of the situation. With that in mind I'm working on some updates and improvements to the existing Tether layouts.

First up; Surface 1 + Tram:

My goal was to make the tram and its stations make a bit more sense and reduce congestion getting on/off the tram itself, so I went for a slightly more modern/hightech look, with the emergency lockers readily accessible by everyone at each table. The main station is actually taken from Virgo's current layout, though I pulled the tracks in together for safety since its easier to get close to them. The entrance on Central's side meanwhile has been pushed back in so there's more space there too. I initially had windoors as well, but they can't be locked and auto-opened/closed so that's a no-go for now maybe.

A few seats were lost but it's rarely filled to capacity anyway. I plan to port handrails for safe standing spaces as well.

Other improvements include the unfinished maint dorms + vacant bar being fully cleaned up and furnished. The bar now has a pre-hacked booze-vendor, privacy shutters, a front door lock, and secret fakewall exits in case of security raids. The backroom has a shaker and condimaster. Trashpit access from the station has proper zoning + an emergency shutter and walls instead of near-rock, so it's not stupidly easy to flood the station with phoron any more.

Mining has also been issued with a set of GPS trackers (1 per locker) for miners to carry in case of emergencies.

Suggestions for further adjustments either to Surface 1 or other floors are welcome.

Nethaufer

Re: Tether Improvement Project

Post by Nethaufer »

What keeps people from running into the tram area by where the doors are?

You're also doing a downgrade from the work done on the Tram area, with the security cell now missing.

VARKA & Selyn

Post by VARKA & Selyn »

Nethaufer wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:20 am
What keeps people from running into the tram area by where the doors are?
What keeps them from doing it now? Pretty much nothing. If someone wants to throw themselves on the rails, they can open a windoor, smash a window, or jump a railing. Except people don't, because it's either suicide or EORG which will net you a PK or (temp)ban.

Is this layout a bit less "safe" than the current one? Yes. But it's still safer than any modern train station, most of which have no safeguards whatsoever! Risk of accidents can be minimized by just not standing too close to the edge/opening, as with any real station.

People don't need their hands holding that badly. I have some ideas on how to tweak windoors so I might test those out and readd them, which would make the setup a little safer. What I would really really like to do here is have locked windoors that open with the tram doors, but I do not think that windoors support such functions at this time as they lack the necessary frequency/id_tag vars -- need to test things here.

--
Nethaufer wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:20 am
You're also doing a downgrade from the work done on the Tram area, with the security cell now missing.
Which security cell, exactly? I've removed the small glass enclosure, but there's still a little space just behind the red security door;

I don't think that top-left space on the platform was intended as a holding cell as a single standard windoor is not very secure. A prisoner could very easily slip into maintenance from there.

Overall the platform is a touch bigger than it was before, but most of it is a different flow for entering and leaving + a slightly different internal layout.

Nethaufer

Post by Nethaufer »

That maint door isn't an all access door. Requires mining access I believe. Either on the entrance or further in when it connects to mining maints. Which have a cargo and mining restricted door at the pit and into mining proper.

Te.name

Post by Te.name »

i'm working on a lot of tether stuff already ill be done by like the end of the month depending on stuff, ive already rebuilt like 5 areas and 2 departments

Te.name

Post by Te.name »

Like the only thing I am not touching is the tram itself because last time I tried I couldn't get it to not bug out and no one could figure out why it fucked up so eh.

VARKA & Selyn

Post by VARKA & Selyn »

I've done transition tests and my tweaks all work fine. I'm putting this on hold until your own stuff is done though, since even mapmerge isn't perfect (and my own stuff was getting a bit scope-creep-y so I want to start over fresh and experiment with some other stuff in the process).