[IDEA] RP Server - On Aeromorph Synth Parts

Unified DevForums for Citadel Station RP
AlphaMach

[IDEA] RP Server - On Aeromorph Synth Parts

Post by AlphaMach »

So this has been a thing in the last few days, and i've been (un?)fortunate enough to miss a lot of the discussions on it, but i figured i'd make a post so this can be talked about here, where there aren't parallel conversations, even if it's a bit out of the way.
I'm personally in favor, and what i've seen is that the reason against it is usually either that it's "fetish content" or that it's "meme content". While for the former it's dependent on taste (It's no more fetish content than prometheans, if that, and we have those. Including chocolate flavored ones, and there isn't anything inherently wrong about that. The thing being, not everyone chooses to play them for the fetish value.), it should also be said that if there is any SS13 server where one would expect slightly more unusual things to be okay, it'd certainly be us. (We do have vore mechanics, taur people and other niche things just fine, but some synth parts that *look* like aeromorphs is now too much?).
As for the meme reason, i don't put it beyond someone out there to meme with it, but it's not like the kind of person that would make helicopter jokes on a (supposedly) HRP server wouldn't find something else to meme with. This reasoning in particular i find very out of tune with everything since it just tells the majority of folk that would be serious about it that it won't happen because either there's going to be some fearmonger-y meme apocalypse or that a very small group of people that ought to be controlled or removed anyways is reason enough to not add something. If someone breaks the rules, they should be moderated, not the content under the excuse of tantalizing them into rulebreaking when it's something as harmless as a customization option. I'd imagine the staff know this too, since it's only the already memey players who've said anything along those lines and have been called such, yet it's treated as being the content's fault? (I've actually only counted two people so far, everyone else has been reasonable about it.)
Finally, i agree that sometimes it may be valid to discard reasoning as too subjective, and "No, because it's fucking stupid." is the most subjective of all.

Kerbal22

Re: RP Server - On Aeromorph Synth Parts

Post by Kerbal22 »

1. They're fucking stupid.

2. Apache memes.

3. They're fetish material.

No.
It's bad enough we have vore mechanics.

Keekenox

Re: [IDEA] RP Server - On Aeromorph Synth Parts

Post by Keekenox »

Kerbal22 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:06 am
3. They're fetish material.
I mean to be fair that's not the best arguement in this regard tbh. Not crazy enthusiastic about them but I mean :P

Snowfield

Post by Snowfield »

I respectfully ask that we not add aeromorph parts to the server.

My reasoning is that the server is based on a science-fiction environment that makes some efforts towards plausibility. It's not perfect, and there's some handwaving going on that you might find in any science-fiction story. But Citadel is still generally (vore excepted) the sort of environment that you'd expect to find in most science-fiction movies, and this environment allows players some degree of immersion to roleplay people in a plausible fictional world.

I have no problem with Aeromorph parts themselves. They would fit right in to any kind of fantasy server built around worlds like Thomas the Tank Engine or Transformers or Jay Jay the Jet Plane. But Tether Station is not one of those worlds, and the inclusion of Aeromorph parts would introduce a 'living toy' element that would break this server's environment of reasonable plausibility as a science-fiction space station, even if that's not the intention of the well-meaning suggesters of this idea.

It's true that we have some unusual creatures on Tether, like taurs, but each one of those creatures is a carefully considered addition, an we need not be compelled to add all possible creatures just because we've added some.

In changing the character of Citadel this way, Aeromorph parts break the server's immersibility for players who come here for that SF experience. Because I'm one of those players, I ask that no aeromorph parts are added to Citadel. Thank you very much for your considered reading.

AlphaMach

Post by AlphaMach »

Snowfield wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:01 am
I respectfully ask that we not add aeromorph parts to the server.

My reasoning is that the server is based on a science-fiction environment that makes some efforts towards plausibility. It's not perfect, and there's some handwaving going on that you might find in any science-fiction story. But Citadel is still generally (vore excepted) the sort of environment that you'd expect to find in most science-fiction movies, and this environment allows players some degree of immersion to roleplay people in a plausible fictional world.

I have no problem with Aeromorph parts themselves. They would fit right in to any kind of fantasy server built around worlds like Thomas the Tank Engine or Transformers or Jay Jay the Jet Plane. But Tether Station is not one of those worlds, and the inclusion of Aeromorph parts would introduce a 'living toy' element that would break this server's environment of reasonable plausibility as a science-fiction space station, even if that's not the intention of the well-meaning suggesters of this idea.

It's true that we have some unusual creatures on Tether, like taurs, but each one of those creatures is a carefully considered addition, an we need not be compelled to add all possible creatures just because we've added some.

In changing the character of Citadel this way, Aeromorph parts break the server's immersibility for players who come here for that SF experience. Because I'm one of those players, I ask that no aeromorph parts are added to Citadel. Thank you very much for your considered reading.
Thank you as well for your reply! I do in fact share your concern in this regard and would wish it not to inflict on the tone of the server as well.

However, that need not necessarily be the case for them. Were they a race in itself, i'd have to agree to the 'living toy' element, but in their current proposal as simple synthparts one would choose due to taste, they are much more similar to a synth who could choose to have a large retro monitor for a head instead, for example. That allows them to have a groundwork of already established elements for lore to be built (which has been mentioned to accompany them) that wouldn't have to infringe on the immersibility of the server.

Such aspects definitely shouldn't be any less carefully considered, but under these standards i believe it to be possible (and should be the intention, as it seems to be already) to have an outcome that would be acceptable for most, if not all parties involved, given that there is a fair ammount of expectation for them.

HenryAdags

IDEA RP Server On Aeromorph Synth Parts

Post by HenryAdags »

If thats possible, then the idea seems flawless.
I think well need to actually see it in game to test for flaws or add-ons from here on, so I think its best if its put on server anytime soon, something to look up to.

Some more tasks that can be added:
1. Kill 6 players in one round
2. Beat a player in a duel.