Keisani Minor Race Lore

shirumic

Keisani Minor Race Lore

Post by shirumic »

Thought I'd expand on my lore for the Keisani to provide a framework for more alien synth characters and an actual backstory that can be used for precursor artifacts.
Pretty rough, but if people like it enough I can polish it and provide even more details. Let me know what you think.

Summary:
The Keisani are an extinct race of ancient humanoids that once inhabited the Dioscuri system, secluded on the frontier of galactic civilization. Originating from the arid world of Keisa of which they take their name, the nuclear ruins of Keisani civilization was discovered in 2554.
They are best known for the intricate and utilitarian marble designs of their artifacts, some of which still rival the high-end products of modern megacorporations. Among their artifacts however, none are more prized than their designs incorporating their advanced molecular nanotechnology. Shimmering orange and black masses, Keisan nanites are used for anything from art pieces to replicating endless stores of starship missiles. Although almost impossible to instruct without Keisani equipment, they lack in-built regulations and functioning kill-switches that modern nanites are required to have.
The KN-Mass trade is loosely controlled by independent scavengers and pirate warlords. Legitimate possession is unheard of outside of archeologists and wealthy collectors, due to the lengthy process required to acquire a permit.
Other than their artifacts, Keisani ruins are also inhabited by the husks of their synthetic servants that range from automated turret guns to supercomputers the size of capital ships.
Ahiram Intelligence Constructs are difficult to restore and functioning shells discovered in the ruins of the Dioscuri system are often confused and hostile to visitors. There exists a documented case of an AIC working in modern society, but any other survivors, if any, aren't known to the public.

Biology:
Not much is known about Keisan biology, though skeletal remains indicate an eerie similarity to lithe humans, averaging about half an inch taller than them.
Historical sources claim that they also had elongated ears that tapered to a point as an adaption to the heat and predatory fauna of their homeworld.
AICs on the other hand do not use positronic technology, instead they use bulky "cores" that are physically plugged into the machine they are designed to enhance. The personality and non-essential memory is kept in the core, but knowledge, data, and functions are a part of the exterior subsystems.
Shells used by AICs vary, but their cores can be made compatible with standard galactic synthetic platforms, AI cores, or subsumed by Keisan nanites to form a sapient nanomachine swarm.

History/Culture:
In 2554, the ISV Flying Comet came across a desertified planet with evidence of prior habitation. After a short survey of the ruined metropolises, the Comet returned with a report of a dead civilization, and the Dioscuri system was marked as nothing more than a desolate wasteland, until down on their luck scavengers decided to search the ruins for anything useful.
Still functioning weapons, fauna, and deadly security drones in the better-preserved parts of Keisa threw off the prior assertion that the planet was completely worthless, and the wastelands are now often visited by prospectors looking to make their fortune discovering an undiscovered ancient relic.
The Keisani themselves were once based around competing clans or "Houses" that would fight each other for claim over resources. Several wars are evident within the Dioscuri system, not the least of which the one that wiped out Keisan civilization.
Among these houses, the most well-known past the collapse is House Ahiram who held a monopoly on the construction of advanced robotics and the sought after Keisan nanites.
Another is House Aziru, known for constructing the best coilguns and conventional armaments one could find among the ruins of Dioscuri.

Drofoljaelisglis

Re: Keisani Minor Race Lore

Post by Drofoljaelisglis »

Hello, apologies for the multi-month delay in an official reply.

Speaking as both a Lore Maintainer as well as Event Manager, precursor lore can be a delicate topic, especially on how much we want to reveal (initially) before in-game storylines can give players the opportunity to experience and uncover it firsthand. That said, I don't take issue with anything you've posted in regards to that. I don't see a reason why there can't be multiple precursor civilizations, and a new source can be interesting. What you've posted is sparse enough for future writers to expand on, but detailed enough to give an inkling of an idea of what the civilization is about to those writers and readers, so you've done well there.

Now for the questions and concerns related to the topic.

On a broad level, I get the sense that there are two races contained, one unplayable and intended to worldbuild, and the other intended to be a potential Protean background to select, the "Ahiram Intelligence Construct". Could you clarify if that is in fact the case?

For two specific concerns:
Although almost impossible to instruct without Keisani equipment, they [nanites] lack in-built regulations and functioning kill-switches that modern nanites are required to have.
I am assuming you mean here that the nanites will (almost always) remain inactive without authentic Keisani equipment to issue orders, which is good if so. (If I'm misinterpreting, feel free to correct me.) What I'm confused on is what you mean by a lack of in-built regulations; if you could give me an example, I would appreciate it. To assuage fears and proactively counter accusations of powergaming/godmoding, I would also appreciate if you clarify after the sentence mentioning the lack of a kill switch that AIC/Nanites can still be killed by the usual sources harmful to Proteans.
Ahiram Intelligence Constructs are difficult to restore and functioning shells discovered in the ruins of the Dioscuri system are often confused and hostile to visitors. There exists a documented case of an AIC working in modern society, but any other survivors, if any, aren't known to the public.
Is your character, Ivelia, the documented case of an AIC working in modern society? If not, there are a few more questions related to them that I have, such as where they work, what researchers have learned from them, what they do, etc.