RealDonaldTrump - Staff Application 2.0

ChayseRamsay

RealDonaldTrump - Staff Application 2.0

Post by ChayseRamsay »

BYOND ckey: RealDonaldTrump
Character name: Jalen Grey, Chayse Ramsay, Andrew Reinhardt
Discord username (+user id): ChayseRamsay#7729, Chayse (RDT) on the Citadel Discord.
How long have you played on Citadel?: Three years now
How long have you played SS13?: Since 2008
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: GMT +0
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Freedom Station, Hypatia Station, NEV Soteria
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: Multiple SA:MP servers, Garry's Mod HRP/NS servers. I'm also a mdoerator for a popular twitch channel, if that counts.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Kevinz000, Ragolution
Reason for application:
With the higher playercounts, staff are getting increasingly swamped by players who either have ill intentions and want to grief, or players who consistently toe the line with the rules. I've decided to apply to try and alleviate some of the stress by applying my knowledge of administration from previous servers (Freedom, Hypatia, Soteria), of which I was a staff member and administrator. For those who remember Hypatia, they'll understand the sort of pain we went through with having been a public Heavy Roleplay server. Currently I'm a Mentor for the server, which I guess can sort of show that I can be trusted to be able to talk to players from an OOC standpoint. I understand that at points, I can get a little heated and salty but I am capable of noticing this and standing back for a while. My notes, as I'm aware, aren't bad and are spread out over the course of a year or so.

As an additional note, I'll be trying to my hardest to reduce the massive amount of validhunting that goes on by players on the Main server, where I play.

Below you will be required to describe how you would handle a handful of scenarios that may or may not require admin intervention. 
For every scenario, describe your personal opinion of the intentions of the player(s), whether you think you should intervene, and how you would initiate an intervention with the player(s) if you decide to.

There are technically no "correct" answers for this, but you will be judged on how you respond to these questions.
You observe two players having a fist-fight in the bar. Player 1 puts Player 2 into critical condition, and then Player 1 quickly leaves the bar to go heal them-self. Checking their attack logs, you find that neither of them had any interaction before they started fighting. Checking their say logs however, you discover that both of them got in a verbal confrontation that got very heated, and that Player 2 both initiated the confrontation and threw the first punch. How do you proceed?
Player intentions: Seems like they just got heated and started a fistfight, with completely valid IC escalation.
Should I intervene?: Unless it starts becoming metagrudging and a constant seeking of vengeance? Probably not.
How would I initiate an intervention?: If it started getting to the point of metagrudging and/or constant vengeance seeking, I'd send them an adminPM asking for a little context, and why they're continuing it. If it's still valid escalation, then by all means I can step back. If not, I can just give them a warning to stop the fighting. No need for any other administrative action unless they continue.

You observe one player acting suspiciously and decide to watch them. While watching, you discover that they are a new player with less than a day of time on the server. You also discover that they haven't said anything for the entire round. Their contents include a full set of tools, and not much else. While watching they spend their time breaking into unsecure areas like the bar back room, hydroponics, the chapel office, EVA. How do you proceed?
Player intentions: Looks like it's your standard greytider, probably just wanting to break into places for the fun of it.
Should I intervene?: Unless it starts affecting the round, or they start stealing/breaking into secure areas? Not really, to be honest. They're giving security something to do and they aren't breaking any rules.
How would I initiate an intevention?: If they do start stealing equipment or breaking into secure areas, I'd adminPM them asking them why they're doing such, and continue from there. To be honest this really should just warrant a warning if necessary, and if they continue just an hour ban.

You observe Player 1 who is a scientist building a combat mech. When they're finished, they allow Player 2 who is their friend and an assistant to come and take the combat mech out of the department. Later, Player 2 gets into a fight with security over the possession of the combat mech, and decides to try killing the security players but fails and is killed by security instead. How do you proceed?
Player intentions: Seems like a little bit of metacomming/metagaming going on, making a mech for an assistant.
Should I intervene?: In this situation? Unless someone adminhelps I should just keep an eye on Player 1 and Player 2. Maybe put a note in their admin notes that these two are potentially breaking meta rules but at this point it seems like it was handled IC without the need for admin intervention.
How would I initiate an intervention?: Once again, an adminPM asking what's going on and why the scientist provided a combat mech to an assistant. Depending on their response, it'd warrant either just a harsh warning or protentially a jobban from science roles if they don't understand that it's not okay. The assistant seems to have had at least some semblance of escalation, so it wasn't straight up attempting to murder security but it could probably do with a checking up on, asking the assistant and security team for their sides of the conflict.
Last edited by ChayseRamsay on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

cebutris

RE: RealDonaldTrump - Staff Application 2.0

Post by cebutris »

I'm a little aprehensive about people with "RealDonaldTrump" in their username after the last time it happened but that has nothing to do with you.

Anyways, I don't recall you being exceptionally or memorably bad and the appeal looks good, so I've nothing against giving you a shot. Let's see what others have to say
Awoo

AmatsuDF

Post by AmatsuDF »

I think RDT would make a fine admin: they've shown extensive knowledge of the game and its rules during the time I've known them, as well as a general willingness to help out when possible and try to make changes for the better. The provided examples also show me a admin that is willing to look into all aspects of a situation to come to a proper ruling. I support this app.

deathride58

Post by deathride58 »

Your specific focus on validhunting in your side note leaves a pretty sour taste in the app.

Validhunting is far, *far* from being an actual problem on main. As a matter of fact, you're a lot more likely to see people simply standing around, doing literally nothing in the face of a loud antag rather than actually trying to do something about loud antags. This is a giant problem with gamemodes like Wizard, where staff have to *constantly* remind players that the Wizard is valid and can be killed on the spot, and that playing a friendly Wizard is a bannable offense. If validhunting really were a big of a problem as you claimed in your app, then friendly wizards wouldn't be anywhere near as stressful to admins as they are currently, and certain folks wouldn't be complaining about antags like nukeops being a thing. Your focus on and exaggeration of validhunting on main shows a lack of awareness for the actual problems on main, such as the constant self-antagging and powergaming.

Also, ERP as important roles is something that's been popping up time and time again in your note history, your old account included.

Your almost-pure HRP history also brings a couple of worries. HRP servers are moderated *completely* differently from LRP servers, and Citadel's main server happens to be pretty low on the RP scale due to the playerbase. Something that's most commonly seen from staff on HRP servers is micromanaging of players, and dishing out punishments for the tiniest of rule breaking. I'm pretty worried you might end up exhibiting those traits, as it's pretty hard to break those commonly-exhibited habits after getting used to the administrative expectations of HRP servers. I learned this myself after trying to go from moderating a realism-focused milsim group to trying to moderate a TTT server a couple years back.

All-in-all, unless you're able to address my complaints, I'm gonna have to give a solid -1 on this app.

ChayseRamsay

Post by ChayseRamsay »

"Your specific focus on validhunting in your side note leaves a pretty sour taste in the app.

Validhunting is far, *far* from being an actual problem on main. As a matter of fact, you're a lot more likely to see people simply standing around, doing literally nothing in the face of a loud antag rather than actually trying to do something about loud antags. This is a giant problem with gamemodes like Wizard, where staff have to *constantly* remind players that the Wizard is valid and can be killed on the spot, and that playing a friendly Wizard is a bannable offense. If validhunting really were a big of a problem as you claimed in your app, then friendly wizards wouldn't be anywhere near as stressful to admins as they are currently, and certain folks wouldn't be complaining about antags like nukeops being a thing. Your focus on and exaggeration of validhunting on main shows a lack of awareness for the actual problems on main, such as the constant self-antagging and powergaming."

So, acknowledging this firstly; validhunting in my opinion is one of the root problems, and it contributes to the other issues of self-antagging and powergaming. I don't refer to validhunting as assisting security in taking down a loud antag such as a wizard, blob, nuke ops etc. I refer to validhunting as players who immediately abandon their important roles such as Engineering or Medical to immediately get armed and go hunting down the antag of the round. This is an issue, as in the long term it causes players to get frustrated by the lack of medics getting players back into the round, or engineers who immediately abandon setting up the power (be that the main engine or solars, both can power the station) to hunt the antag causing the station to effectively grind to a halt. This isn't dismissing self-antagging or powergaming as issues that exist as well, however in my own observations those who powergame are also those who validhunt.

"Also, ERP as important roles is something that's been popping up time and time again in your note history, your old account included."

Twice over the course of three years, the most recent being one that I still dispute as I don't believe 'trying to ERP' encompasses being tased, cuffed and forced into a scene (which couldn't be taken as someone performing unconsented ERP either, as my flavour text specifically says any and all ERP towards my character is fine.)

"Your almost-pure HRP history also brings a couple of worries. HRP servers are moderated *completely* differently from LRP servers, and Citadel's main server happens to be pretty low on the RP scale due to the playerbase. Something that's most commonly seen from staff on HRP servers is micromanaging of players, and dishing out punishments for the tiniest of rule breaking. I'm pretty worried you might end up exhibiting those traits, as it's pretty hard to break those commonly-exhibited habits after getting used to the administrative expectations of HRP servers. I learned this myself after trying to go from moderating a realism-focused milsim group to trying to moderate a TTT server a couple years back."

My administrative history is mostly Heavy Roleplay servers with Hypatia and Soteria, however my actual playing history is a wide range of all roleplay levels. I started on Goonstation when I first started playing SS13, I have also played on Baystation, /tg/, Colonial Marines and now Citadel, so I'm well aware of the different styles of playing and administration. I've also got administration experience from a few DarkRP servers, but I didn't see it as relevant to put into the application.

All in all, I hope these points address your complaints. If you've got any more, don't hesitate to mention them and I'll try and alleviate your worries.
Last edited by ChayseRamsay on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trojan_Coyote

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

I'm going to have to give a firm 'no' on this. Recently they've been way too hotheaded in ahelps. I'm not sure that they could maintain a rational mindset when dealing with some of the more abrasive personalities being a moderator/admin puts you in contact with when investigating matters.

Kersakof

Post by Kersakof »

I've never seen you at your good, and honestly the "RealDonaldTrump" tag is all kinds of bad vibes. Especially with your explosive behavior and questionable choices that landed your notes. I'm giving a no on this until you can demonstrate for a lengthy period of time you don't get upset. Because if you get upset this easily in round for your actions, I'm betting the complaints for how you deal with ahelps aren't going to be much better.

No.

ChayseRamsay

Post by ChayseRamsay »

Kersakof wrote: I've never seen you at your good, and honestly the "RealDonaldTrump" tag is all kinds of bad vibes. Especially with your explosive behavior and questionable choices that landed your notes. I'm giving a no on this until you can demonstrate for a lengthy period of time you don't get upset. Because if you get upset this easily in round for your actions, I'm betting the complaints for how you deal with ahelps aren't going to be much better.

No.
So, first of all, let's just get this out of the way. "explosive behaviour"? What? - Every single time I've gotten mad it's because something incredibly stupid has happened in game (almost always during extended) that shouldn't have occured in the first place, like a HoS and Captain immediately demoting me for not hearing a single order of reporting to the brig, or somebody getting murderous.

Second of all, "questionable choices that landed your notes." - As mentioned already, these notes aren't over the course of a couple of months, they're over the course of the three years I've been playing on Citadel. 

Third of all, There is a massive difference between how someone makes an adminhelp in a heated situation and how somebody outside the situation answers the adminhelp. Getting mad over something happening in game doesn't immediately condemn a person from being able to reply to an adminhelp without being mad.

And finally, what exactly does my ckey have to do with anything, at all? I made it as a meme long before the election campaign and stuck with it because it's memorable, people recognise me easily as either RDT or the full ckey.

BetaWolf

Post by BetaWolf »

I personally will say that a lot of the things the admins are bringing up are from the five minutes you guys are on, I've played with him on the server and he has a point on the LRP side, and he generally keeps his cool in the OOC chat.
Your friendly neighborhood mentor

LeonDuvall

Post by LeonDuvall »

I've played a fair bit with Chayse, they've got a good grip on the mechanics of the game, and are plenty qualified for mentor status. They've also got a tendency to keep a level head that I think is something that should be required in an administrator. I also have seen them tend not to take things personally which would indicate a more objective perspective which I also think is a good quality.