Ban Appeal - Chefferz

raiq

Ban Appeal - Chefferz

Post by raiq »

BYOND Name: Chefferz

Reason Banned: After already being given one last chance to show improvement, continued to instead display poor and unwanted behaviour both IC and OOC - including recent cases of; Excessive toxic behavior & meta grudging, powergaming and lashing out at staff merely voicing their thoughts on your ban appeal. Enough's enough, time to look elsewhere to play..

Admin who banned: Worgilisk

Length Banned: Perma

Appeal Reason:

I'm gonna take the time to write this out in length, and quite detailed. This permaban was unjustified and I'd like to explain why, exactly, I feel that it is such. I'd like to address each of these points.

Excessive toxic behavior & meta grudging

I've admitted that I get a bit upset when I have to deal with behavior on a consistent, and constant basis from a very small number of regular players, along with getting into arguments OOC with Jade which I am sure most of the admin team is well aware. The biggest reason why is due to the aggressive behavior that occurs with Jade whenever events do not go to their exact whim, which I have acknowledged is something that makes me just as upset and have been taking it upon myself to completely leave the rounds whenever I am notified of this happening. The arguing on the discord is typically done with a large number of people, so just because I'm talking about a topic that's salty in the discord doesn't mean I'm actively trying to shit stur or make the game miserable for people, because I am not. Most of my complaints have been regarding particular players who are the type who go out of their way to ruin rounds, which brings me to the 2nd point of this.

Metagrudging. I do not keep tabs of who plays who unless it's a static named character of whom I develop a relationship with IC, beit negative or positive. If things get too out of hand IC, I have discussed this stuff OOC with people in order to prevent issues from occurring. However, there are certain individuals whom I have attempted to smooth things over with and it's typically ended up quite disastrous. While I do my best to avoid these players IC, whenever it comes to an incident where I am playing security and they're doing something that is against the law, I am going to apply said law to them without any bias. I do not go out of my way to mess with rounds of players, I do not go out of my way to salt all over people's IM boxes and ruin their shifts. I do, however, notice a trend with certain individuals (of which I -DO- ahelp and get it documented) in which they're of a particular personality, and treat them accordingly. This occurs with every regular whom plays on the RP server, as most of the people who play (50% of the population) are quite regular.

The incidents in question that I know were brought up were the interactions with me and Prax. Now, anytime someone messes with Arvedki, they'll go off on death threat tangents. Numerous people can attest to this if you search in the discord, as this is a REGULAR occurance with Prax. There's been multiple incidents where they beat the shit out of people for things as simple as a headpat, and BlackMajor can attest that the security record of them was vile, enough to warrant them as being a unreasonable character. They have accused me of metagrudging on discord, and have lashed out at me violently when I follow orders as security against them. (Note, this ONLY happens when I am a security member).  Here's a sample of one of said lashing outs at me on discord. Note the only IN CHARACTER issue I had with Arvedki was them up and getting married/engaged. I only bugged them about how I thought this was a silly idea because of their known lewd behavior.

The last accusation of metagrudging against me was Kurushee, who ended up being a permaban evader, and was well documented (and banned) for grudging -me- shift start and various other times, despite zero IC interaction.

powergaming and lashing out at staff merely voicing their thoughts on your ban appeal.

I've got a single powergaming note, one in which I broke into security in order to patch up a scientist who was quickly bleeding out and needed surgery, as an anomaly was harming a number of people. The current surgeon whom was playing was going unreasonably slow, and I took it upon myself to try and fix the issue. Was that wrong? Absolutely, and my judgement was clouded in the heat of the moment and I apologized when pinged for it. I've done nothing else that would be deemed powergaming, nor have I been pinged for any incident that's similar to that.

Lashing out was hardly that. I asked someone, Zero, whom I have on my friends list and has been quite friendly with me, if they could clarify on what they meant. I was asking them for advice so I could know how, in their eyes, improve myself, because I have been attempting to improve my behavior considerably.

Summing this up.

You can ask any administrator who is actually around at the times that I play the RP server that my behavior is reasonable minus a few minor slip ups here and there. Considering I've not played on the main server regularly for nearly 9 months, and my note history has been slim on the RP server, I feel that a permaban is completely unjustified. I understand that I try to articulate what happened, but I've not denied my past behavior, and have been trying to improve myself. The incident that led to me being banned was approved of by an admin, I did everything by the book and was told by a security commander to detain someone whom had made threats on open comms. I even tried to stop the arguing in Discord after the fact.

If there is a particular incident in question that I feel is a detriment to the server, I have been messaging appropriate admins about it. BlackMajor can attest that anytime there's something I've got a problem with, as far as someone whom is being a pain, that they've been made aware of it, along with the discussions regarding Jade's incidents, and the huge impact it's had on how I am portrayed because of it.
Last edited by raiq on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Polymorph

RE: Ban Appeal - Chefferz

Post by Polymorph »

I think that while Ana can be abrasive, I think most of her comments here are correct. She occasionally is salty in discord, but no worse than many others. I think she plays on the server a lot, and for the amount of time she plays on the server she isn't any worse than many others. Her notes on the RP server are relatively light, and personally I enjoy playing with her. I don't think she's a determent to the server overall, and I'd like some of the other RP admins to chime in as well, not withstanding her history from main.

The incident that ultimately caused this was a poor final note, as well. A perhaps dickish IC conversation escalated to to the HoS ordering an arrest of someone in the dorms, and Ana ahelped before entering the dorms properly and was given permission from the admin (me) to enter after discussing with both her and the person being arrested (Prax). If there is going to be a final straw, I don't think it's fair for this to be it, at all.

I feel she tries to be a good person, and has improved considerably compared to her notes from main. Her behavior could change a little regarding who she comments on over the radios, but I don't feel that's permabannable.

Overall, I think Ana is a member of the Citadel community, especially the RP one, and has been for many months. I'm not a fan of exiling someone from it, especially given how much they play here. There were a fair number of people in discord talking about her ban, mostly in support of Ana. That's my perception, at least.

I personally feel the appeal should be granted.

Nyny

Post by Nyny »

I want to make this clear as this from my perspective. Not doing this just as a friend but a responsibility to ensure the quality of administration with players and proper communication with staff. From my own investigation, this could use a second evaluation. I have good relations with ana while noting some traits that would make her loud but not many people have much of a fuss. Talking most of the majority of RP and not a few people who have strong dissociation with her.

I remember her promising to be better, as discussed before. Has she improved? yes, shaky but better than before. I have played multiple rounds with her and during an instance where I thought she would get mad, no thankfully.

From what I conclude, this requires an evaluation.

AmatsuDF

Post by AmatsuDF »

My interactions with Raiq have not always been the best. I have been frustrated with their behavior in the past...however, that is more on my sometimes easy to provoke anger at a situation. Are they a bit of an ass, ICly, and OOCly? Yes. Is there salt? Yes. But is this a violation of the rules, though? Likely not, and even more so at the IC part, as there should be a wall between judging IC behavior, and judging OOC behavior.

I will also note, like those commenting above, that I too have seen a change from their days on main. It's rough, still, but I do not feel even in the worst case scenario of yesterday's round, that a permaban was warranted. Improvement is not instant, nor is it always a steady climb towards being better. Backslides can and will happen, but as long as a true return to undesirable behaviors doesn't happen, then they should be permitted to play, not booted out because of a bad day.

Zeldazackman

Post by Zeldazackman »

Legit the ban feels like it was baited all in all so yeah, it needs to be evaluated and all that fun bullshit

Past that they're not going insane as they used to act from more than three months ago, maybe it's due to the RP environment, maybe it's due to the codebase not letting folks go crazy as much as on /tg/, who the fuck knows really
Point is there has been improvement and I suggest that folks observe them if they've got the time on RP and compare it to just a year ago.

Blep-Lep

Post by Blep-Lep »

On the off chance that my two cents matter much at all, I'd like to just put down my thoughts on all this right here for people to see. I've interacted with Raiq both In character, with their character Ana Bowchief, as well as out of character on discord. Although I have not seen what their behavior was like on main (or at least, I don't quite remember interacting with them at that point in time) I don't think that her actions from back then should warp how we view her current behavior. As you can likely see from some of the others commenting on this thread, Raiq's behavior has indeed since those days, Is she completely perfect? Of course not, nobody is, they can be somewhat impulsive at times, as well as rough towards people that act rough towards her. But overall, I think with their improvements, they've been an overall net gain in terms of quality for the player base, which is why I think this should be appealed.

Vincent Airin

Post by Vincent Airin »

What people fail to realize here is that this wasn't about the last incident, but rather that this incident brought up a lengthy discussion about Ana's behavior over the past few months, which in turn lead to the agreement on this ban. I can name two separate occasions of powergaming on the RP server myself that I was in game for: One being a cargo tech printing off a full set of tools then going to turn the solar panels on while the engineering team was learning the engine. To which Ana then said 'fuck it' and cryoed out of the round once they learned that Solace was occupied. The second being when they were yelling at a surgeon over making chemicals instead of doing surgery to help them. Both of these were on the RP server. As for meta grudging, this is over the examples given, Ana has shown to be needlessly aggressive to anyone in disagreement and harasses particular players they do not like when they do something they do not like, regardless of the time between rounds. The example being two players that tended to erp with each other, in which ana would call for dereliction and demotion even when just passing by. When this was discussed it was found that not only was this NOT an isolated incident, but was indeed discussed and told to cease by admin Bluesnake previously.

And for those who can't read: Not about last incident, about cumulative whole and the fact that the 'last warning to behave' has not been adhered to, and so the perma has been reapplied.

James D Mcintyre 8/20/2018 2:52 pm

raiq

Post by raiq »

Vincent, multiple people set up the engines when it's late night, and the engineering team is either incompetent or unable to get power working in time. So if you consider that powergaming, when even a head admin does this as their medical character, is a bit overkill.

You jumped the gun entirely with the incident I reported to you as far as with Solace, and bashed my relationship with him in the discord message. Yes, I've always quit the round when I learn Jade is running around as a shade kin or there's an event because it derails most things and it's unfun to be around. I also had special plans that round with Solace which were broken because an admin ate them as a shade kin, which was quite irritating.

Leon_Leonardo

Post by Leon_Leonardo »

With your cumulative history of harassing other admins to "reevaluate" every decision ever made against you; your attempts to rally sympathetic support from the general population of the server against the staff any and every time an action has been taken against you; your flagrant disregard for the judgement of the staff here; and, for the almost obsessive amount of disrespect you show towards anyone who crosses you, I'm sorely tempted to simply deny this appeal outright and be done with you. Instead, I'm going to allow a few more people to reply to this, especially Gorgilisk since he's the admin who binned you; and then I'll move this to the denied section.

raiq

Post by raiq »

Leon_Leonardo wrote: With your cumulative history of harassing other admins to "reevaluate" every decision ever made against you; your attempts to rally sympathetic support from the general population of the server against the staff any and every time an action has been taken against you; your flagrant disregard for the judgement of the staff here; and, for the almost obsessive amount of disrespect you show towards anyone who crosses you, I'm sorely tempted to simply deny this appeal outright and be done with you. Instead, I'm going to allow a few more people to reply to this, especially Gorgilisk since he's the admin who binned you; and then I'll move this to the denied section.
I've had no issues bar with a single member of staff on the rp server the entire time I've been playing. Again  I've acknowledged and understood my poor behavior. Also, I've brought up every issue regarding the actual server with admins, and if you look at my notes, the only time I've argued about a issue over the top was with jade, which I was noted for,. 

I've got multiple admins who frequent the rp server who will attest to my behavior improving. These are admins who actually see how the rp server operates, and it's unfair for admins who've not seen the amount of time I've played recently without incident to judge based off the issues bright up.

I don't rally up support, people on the rp server are far closer knit than the main server, something I deeply appreciated and enjoyed having a large pool of people whom I'd regularly interact with and were fun to be around. 

Instantly denying me is outright harsh, considering this entire issue thst sparked this drama was ahelped and cleared entirely. How this isn't being addressed, despite the admins stating on this application that it feels baited, is also unfair on my behalf.