[Snow n chrysanthemums] - Admin Application

snow n' chrysanthemums

[Snow n chrysanthemums] - Admin Application

Post by snow n' chrysanthemums »

BYOND ckey:Snow n chrysanthemums
Character name: Premysl
Discord username (+user id):Scarlet Chrysanthemum#5971 Usually known as Need heart of the oasis/ Phoenix Wrong:Logic Break.
How long have you played on Citadel?: Since December ish of 2018
How long have you played SS13?: Since 2008
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: GMT -6, I have very odd hours until this December, so its mainly "TBD" for my coverage times
Previous SS13 related admin experience: N/A
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: N/A
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Soulstolen
Reason for application:
I thought I'd be useful instead of complaining about issues at times. Try to help out at times with teaching engineering since its kind of hard to explain without breaking character at times (especially to completely new players).

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

First try to defuse it, then I will warn them both twice, kick, and then ban for a day for OOC/LOOC/Discord. Repeated issues gain progressively longer bans. If they take it to Dms in discord I am not involving myself as that is a person to person issue. There is a line between arguing in server sponsored channel and embarrassment in private dms.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

Get another admin, don't talk about anything except what you could tell without admin powers. If no other admins are active take the route that requires the least interaction, (eg: File a complaint on forums). Interject in issues you are involved with if there is no other method of recourse, but keep logs to prove your logic.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

Previous history, severity, and intent. The hardest one is intent, but previous history is usually but no always an indicator, and requires usage of judgement that cannot be put down in logical terms at times and rely on intuition. Unless the person in question committing a major violation and disconnected, where a permaban will be applied and information forwarded to the head administrators. Being underage is also a permaban and informing the head administrators.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

1) When they play command or security.
2) When they are not of sound mind.
3) When there are multiple admins on.
4) When there is a lack of partiality.
If there are no other administrators on, do not play command or security.

I am not touching silicons or AI with a ten foot pole unless they are actively venting the station or murdering crew due to my different viewpoint with synths compared to other people.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
To be professional when on duty. In addition, remain impartial during issues and attempt to resolve issues without banning people. Recurse themselves when they cannot be impartial. Solve faxed IC issues. Otherwise watch from the shadows and occasionally run an opt-in event. Use logs and logic to backup punishments, notes, and warnings while assisting in players who require assistance in the game, be it mechanics or bug wise.

I'm also willing to learn main to a greater degree than currently since I'm not to familiar with main and it causes some latency issues for me.
Last edited by snow n' chrysanthemums on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trojan_Coyote

Re: [Snow n chrysanthemums] - Admin Application

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

Your answers seem fairly solid but I don't know you and worry slightly about the total time you've played citadel.

Soulstolen

Post by Soulstolen »

I'll jump right in and pose a few suggestions and criticisms to your answers, then talk about you in general.

Firstly, your number one.
If they take it to Dms in discord I am not involving myself as that is a person to person issue. There is a line between arguing in server sponsored channel and embarrassment in private dms.
While this is true in most cases, it's not true in all cases. There is time when someone from the server is blatantly harassing a member of the community in their DM's, and while blocking them is the correct course of action, this behavior is toxic and unacceptable and should be reported to an Admin if not a Head Admin.

Now your number two, feels slightly flawed but is headed in the right direction, (do remember this is me looking at it from the RP server perspective) if an admin is involved in a situation that needs intervention, they should know usually if they are in the right or wrong, and usually most cases where an admin is the issue for something rather big is rare. If other admins are on, let them handle it, chat with them to let them know your story. If no admin is on, remain unbiased and try to solve it in a white peace fashion, being the only admin on however you shouldn't be getting into crazy things but you never know.

Your number three and five are fine, number four I can only really say that on RP you're literally never de-admin unless you happen to be security during a hostile event, which is basically never.

Now onto you as a person in general? A bit on the "Politically Incorrect" scale, but regardless of your terrible sense of humor, (That I can relate with honestly I'm just as bad) sometimes somewhat lack of empathy, and overall cockiness, you are very headstrong and logical. What I see alot with admins now is a lack of drive to actually commit to doing something, even myself, however I have been trying to work on mapping gateway maps. Point is, you have a direction you wanna move towards and that's a good attitude, just work on your empathy and you'll be more than fine. I feel honestly you may be shot down however because of past experience within a game, but I would be willing to see how you do at work. That is afterall, the point of it being a trial. +1

snow n' chrysanthemums

Trojan_Coyote wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:07 pm
Your answers seem fairly solid but I don't know you and worry slightly about the total time you've played citadel.
Dully noted, although I think there might be admins who have been around for less so time play that might not be truly indicative. Thanks for taking time to write this even if you don't know me.
While this is true in most cases, it's not true in all cases. There is time when someone from the server is blatantly harassing a member of the community in their DM's, and while blocking them is the correct course of action, this behavior is toxic and unacceptable and should be reported to an Admin if not a Head Admin.
My issue with this is that we cannot independently verify those claims. What is to stop the accused from pulling out DM logs that prove that the accuser was the actual one guilty (or both were combative at the time)? It is not something that one can be decisive on without review - something I would much rather have another admin to glance over before making such a heavy handed decision.
if an admin is involved in a situation that needs intervention, they should know usually if they are in the right or wrong, and usually most cases where an admin is the issue for something rather big is rare.
The goal is to prevent the possible accusation/appearence that an admin involved in an issue is deliberately interfering with the issue. The best cure is prevention.
Your number three and five are fine, number four I can only really say that on RP you're literally never de-admin unless you happen to be security during a hostile event, which is basically never.
I wrote those to be specifically restrictive to myself. I am well aware that there are issues with command/security being regarded as terrible at times. The goal is to avoid placing myself in a situation where I could paint the staff team in a bad light. Deadmining with multiple admins on is more of a "If I play command/sec I'm not admining."
Now onto you as a person in general? A bit on the "Politically Incorrect" scale, but regardless of your terrible sense of humor, (That I can relate with honestly I'm just as bad) sometimes somewhat lack of empathy, and overall cockiness (I have committed, a shameful display.) , you are very headstrong and logical.
Empathy, what's that? I write so in complete jest, but I am aware of the lack of skill I have in such a department.

Neinbox

Post by Neinbox »

Hey, so. I'm not going to vote on this, but I will give it my two cents if it's worth anything, and Snow, I hope you don't take any offense as I do not mean any.

ICly (and I know that this is ironic coming from me to a lot of people due to a character that I play who has a depth that people don't know and only a small handful have discovered due to figuring it out ICly) their characters can be REALLY questionable, rather one in particular that was involved with mine. A CMO that somehow managed to slip through the cracks of psych checks and stayed in their position despite the heavy and serious mental disorders such as what generally presents itself as diagnose-able psychopathy, and going very far in what their character does, and is more or less unacceptable for what one should find in a character that's in a head of staff position and has OOCly admitted as much to me. I'm not sure if such is the case anymore and I haven't been seeing them play the character as often anymore, but being staff and having a character that borderline breaks the character believe-ability seems a little funky. I do NOT mean to bring up something that might be intended to be hidden and/or no longer applicable, but due to the situation I thought it was worth mentioning.

OOCly, Snow can be fun. But I've had more than my fair share of them heckling me, and even if they might mean it for fun, it very much so did not read that way to me and was actually quite upsetting for me to deal with. Name-calling, taunting, jeering. OOC, Dsay, Discord. And it's persistent, too. Snow seems to get excited (not sexually mind you, more like pack-mentality in a way) and riled up in certain situations, and makes sure to join in on the "fun", sometimes instigating a situation themselves because they get a kick out of it, somewhat like a school bully. An admin should really try to be helpful and supportive, and not make a player feel like utter shit. If there's any proof that it's been changed and the change seems to be consistently long-term I could see myself nodding in approval, but right now I am uncomfortable with what's being offered.

Again, I apologize if anything sounds harsh, but this is my being honest and presenting what I know from past interactions. Either or, and not to be facetious, I wish best of luck.
Last edited by Neinbox on Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~N E I N B O X~

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Hah, good one Chrys. I'll pass on giving this application my support.

snow n' chrysanthemums

AvaricePleonexia wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:35 am
Hah, good one Chrys. I'll pass on giving this application my support.
It's okay Avarice, still love you for how much you hate me :).

The only thing I have to say to Neinbox, is that the character was reworked when he approached me about it when it first came up. Otherwise, there's not much I can say to give undue attention to that post the fact Neinbox doesn't really play anymore. But since admins are held to a higher standard I'll respond to any admin team inquiries regarding that.

AnalWerewolf

Post by AnalWerewolf »

Hey, hey, I've read through what you've got here and I'm afraid I can't really say with a whole lot of confidence that you'd be a very good fit for the role of Admin. While you're certainly active within the community and have a pretty good attitude if a bit hard to read at times, I am not sure you'd be a good fit for this role. I haven't really been looking at you too closely so perhaps this is just me not having enough info, either way I feel that a Moderator application will get you much further and may be a nice stepping stone to a full blown game admin position.

As for your answers,
Question one could use a bit of revision, while DMs are obviously private, if we have evidence that someone is straight out harassing a player, sending them unwanted, unwarranted imagery, or using the server as a vector to mass mail or find people to target, we'd obviously punish just as harshly if not moreso for that kind of thing.

Question two isn't quite up to par either but it is also headed in the right direction, I don't know why you wouldn't want to send as much info to the investigating admins as possible, you could argue the information you provide may be biased, but so long as it is sufficiently backed up and properly investigated that shouldn't be an issue.

Question three is good, should note that no matter the intent one should go about noting an individual in almost all cases, notes are used as a record and conversation receipt and as proof something happened.

Question four irks me a bit because I do not know what you mean by "different viewpoints with synths compared to other people", otherwise your other answers for this question are alright.

Question five is good.

Regardless, thank you for applying.

snow n' chrysanthemums

I will address your issues here Analwerewolf.

First point:
Discord has a block function for DMs. If they circumvent the block and use it to harass people it is discord and server issue. I am willing to ban for that theoretically but that assumes that discord also takes action. Mass vector pinging is just regular discord ban or warning since it is using the discord server to harass people. The reason I am hesitant about discord actions is that screenshots can be taken out of context, and thus until more information is given you cannot really justify a decision like you can in game logs since you can see the conversations.

Second point:
Please note I said that without admin tools. Both sides are likely to be biased in such a situation and it is the job of the rest of the staff team to read through the text.

Fourth point:
I was once command banned because I ordered a borg to be deconstructed over what I saw to be a silicon law issue. I said I would recurse myself because I do not believe that I can impartially weigh issues regarding silicons outside of an AI plasmaflooding/general greytide giefing. Specifically, I have always held the viewpoint that silicon law needs to be updated or needs to have priority in order of the laws. I am willing to concede this is not the staff viewpoint, but I would not trust myself to possible rule on a such an issue to avoid a conflict of interest.
See this for further context: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2257

Edit: I'm not saying I won't act on these issues, but that I know that I would likely be biased towards them and hence if there were other admins I would ask them to handle it. I know my weaknesses and I'm not shying away from them.

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

Needs to be more emotionally detached from issues in my opinion but I have severe doubts this one has the right mindset for administration. Sorry fam.