Kneesox Security Job-ban.

kneesox

Kneesox Security Job-ban.

Post by kneesox »

BYOND Name: Kneesox

Reason Banned: Using welder-tanks to cause an exposion in order to kill a xenomorph hunter.

Admin who banned: Airinnann

Length Banned: January I think, I would have immediately appealed but have not bothered to do so until now.

Appeal Reason: I believe the decision made at the time was very hastily made with poor judgement of the situation, additionally it has been over seven months since the incident in question. As the round started, an Adminstrator (Zelda I believe) had decided to include Admin-mod himself as a Xenomorph hunter and pranked the crew with "Friendly larks.". These pranks eventually escalated to attacking security officers, stealing our gear and weapons or tackle-locking us and dragging us around the station for a significant time. Eventually the HoS wanted us to kill the Xeno so we made moves to.

Xenomorphs are incredibly vulnerable to fire, and an explosion will likely stun so I moved a welder-tank into a good position and used it as an ambush to shoot it when the Xeno ran past, a slightly reckless, but tactical move for killing xenomorphs effectively. Airinnann disagreed and made the decision that this was over the line putting crew members and station property at risk to take down a "Friendly Xenomorph" despite the fact that it had attacked security and stolen weaponry and was causing massive trouble for us.

Not that it mattered, as I got access to the server logs for that round our"Friendly Xeno" was also packing var-edited movement speeds, massively increased health and durability as well as fine manipulation and language edits so it was a fruitless endeavor anyway.

I stand by my decision on what I did, and that admin-abuse or not, using welder-tanks as improvised weapons is a tactical maneuver that against some threats is sufficiently justified if they are effective, such as they are against Xenomophs (Assuming they don't have 5,000hp and who knows what else). I am experienced and familiar with the game, I understand the role and requirements very clearly and even that aside, this happened over seven months ago anyway so I'd like the job ban to be removed.

On that topic, most of the tickets on my account are several months old and I never bothered to contest them officially on the forum so removing them would also be nice, but I don't have a copy of the specifics to contest any individually.

Edit: A big sorry to Kenzie, I must have got my names muddled up when writing this first and called out "LM40" as the player of the Xeno, looking at old chat logs when I was getting information from the rounds server logs it looks like it was Zelda but that isn't the important part.
Last edited by kneesox on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenzie

RE: Kneesox Security Job-ban.

Post by Kenzie »

kneesox wrote:As the round started, LM40 had decided to include Admin-mod himself as a Xenomorph hunter and pranked the crew with "Friendly larks.".
i would appreciate it if you could not make objectively wrong statements in your appeal tia
ex-headmin

kneesox

Post by kneesox »

Kenzie wrote: i would appreciate it if you could not make objectively wrong statements in your appeal tia
It has been a while so I could have made a mistaken the small details, did someone else Var-Edit LM40 into the Xenomorph? Or did he Var-Edit someone else? Either way you were the one who provided me with the information in the first place, and the who-what-where is unimportant, a Xenomorph hunter with var-edited near invincibility and other bonuses due to admin-buttons was the core of the situation.

Sylas

Post by Sylas »

I mean. He used a tool to his advantage, regardless of if it killed him or not. If he was trying to kill the xeno, I dont find it hard to believe it was going to kill him back.
I personally would rather die quick in an explosion rather than being torn to shreds by a xeno, or worst case, being facehugger'd.
So the roleplay reasoning is right there.

I wasnt around for this, so I dont think my opinion will really have any depth. That's just my two cents.

kneesox

Post by kneesox »

Sylas wrote: I mean. He used a tool to his advantage, regardless of if it killed him or not. If he was trying to kill the xeno, I dont find it hard to believe it was going to kill him back.
I personally would rather die quick in an explosion rather than being torn  to shreds by a xeno, or worst case, being facehugger'd.
It wasn't a "Real" Xenomorph, it was an Admin who spawned himself as one, gave himself universal-languages and fine-manipulation and started harrassing security, knocking people down with tackle and dragging them around station, stealing our guns and gear and the like. Not directly attacking to kill but still causing huge amounts of grief and hassle for the team. Eventually the HoS gave an order to try to kill it so I shoved a Welder-tank in its path and shot to blow it up as an improvised bomb to try and stun it or set it aflame, because the Xeno was moving too fast to get more than one or two laser hits in, it's a great tool for dealing with Xenomorphs in game.

Evidently it was a null point, as the "Friendly" Xeno had 3,000hp.

Even though, it was nearly 7 or 8 months ago at this point but I wasn't huge on playing security that much anyway so only posted the appeal now.

Vincent Airin

Post by Vincent Airin »

The reason the ban was applied in the first place was the gross negligence as a security officer, including: firing shotguns down a crowded hallway, firing lethal lasers down said crowded hallway and detonating welder tanks in said hallway. This was all done while the xenomorph was riding around on a skateboard and talking, showing no threat to the crew in any way. Instead as an officer of the station you showed far more danger to the crew with a callus disregard for the most basic of safety protocols in trying to handle the situation.

As a semi related note. I personally am tired of people always going at permanent ban appeals with the defense of "It's been so long." It is a PERMANENT ban. They do not expire.
Last edited by Vincent Airin on Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kneesox

Post by kneesox »

Vincent Airin wrote: The reason the ban was applied in the first place was the gross negligence as a security officer, including: firing shotguns down a crowded hallway, firing lethal lasers down said crowded hallway and detonating welder tanks in said hallway. This was all done while the xenomorph was riding around on a skateboard and talking, showing no threat to the crew in any way. Instead as an officer of the station you showed far more danger to the crew with a callus disregard for the most basic of safety protocols in trying to handle the situation.

As a semi related note. I personally am tired of people always going at permanent ban appeals with the defense of "It's been so long." It is a PERMANENT ban. They do not expire.
The Xenomorph was attacking security members and destorying security gear. An order to take it out was called by Command Staff. "Friendly Xeno Adminbus" does not get a free pass to cause grief and cause significant negative impact to the station round, if they wanted to play a "Friendly Xeno." then join the round as a clown and put on a suit, editing variables to make themselves an unstunnable behemoth with the express purpose of hassling players is not acceptable but this isn't about my issues with administrative button pushing.

The situation was escalated by the Xeno to the extent that we were treating it like a live threat, it was attacking security members and trapping them in maintanence, it was attacking command staff members and dragging them around station endlessly for several minutes at a time, it was taking security weapons and hiding or destorying them, it was not a harmless "Friendly" sitting in the bar playing larks, it was actively harming the station and crew members.

Yes I can see and agree that there is a moral issue with trying to stop a creature when there is a risk of collatoral damage to crew members, but the act of making that choice is not one that is severe enough to merit this degree of administrative action especially at the behest of station command. There are many points in the server rules that can apply to similar situations; Friendly Antags, Crew supporting Antags, Grey-tides, but the core of it comes down to the awnser to this question.

We have an Adminstrator who has spawned themselves as an enchanted, immortal xenomorph.
Should we both as players and as characters supposed treat them as:
A) A Xenomorph, a dangerous threat to human life, albiet an unsual one.
B) A Crewmember or visitor, a prankster akin to the clown.
C) An Untouchable god, whom we should let do as they whim even when it is at the detriment of other players.

I'm not here to plead for forgiveness and promise never to do it again, as self-damning as it may be I earnestly feel that my decision while distasteful, unwelcome and unwholesome was at the very least a valid and suitable response for a security officer of the station in that situation, calling out warnings to avoid the alien and manuvering against it while preparing to handle the collatoral damage with repairs and handle any who were unfortunately injured. Due a warning against such actions? Yes perhaps, but a complete ban from the role regardless of any other facet of the security job role, hardly, which is why I'm writing this appeal.

Looking back on it, the only thing I would have done differently to handle the situation would to have AHELPED a complaint against the admin in control of the Xenomorph and made it clear that they were causing significant issues with their "Friendly Xenomorph" shenanigans and hope that it could be resolved and stopped through administrator intervention, whether by reigning in the xenomorph on it's aggressive pranks or suspending the self indulgent ride on the admin bus for the round.

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

to be honestly i mostly agree with this line of argumentation so long as you've accurately depicted what transpired
ex-headmin

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

i will lift this i guess, mostly because i don't agree with admins making themselves snowflake 'friendly' hostiles and then fucking with people for assuming them hostile
ex-headmin