Do you trust me as a staff

Total votes: 0

areebur

Staff App - Ariever

Post by areebur »

BYOND ckey: ariever
Character name: Misaan Caelum
Discord username (+user id): ariever the Hallowed#4037
How long have you played on Citadel?: I think since March.
How long have you played SS13?: Since January.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: whenever I can, I have a college schedule. Available in EST evenings, and weekends when the homework load is light.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Mentor for the Alien Isolation 13 server. (server doesn't exist anymore, they couldn't pay for the server anymore and tried to change the project before it got scrapped) If you remember it it'd be Eris station
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: None
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application:
Reason for application: Well, it always helps to start your portfolio. I've noticed a spike in graytide/greif-like behavior on the server, and I don't really like that too much. It's not fun for others if you constantly have to keep your stuff under watch incase someone happens to want to break something. I've been a victim of that too, having finished RnD about to sync when someone screwdrivers the console, or assistants walking into open doors when you're about to close them, just to spray all your botany plants with pesticide.

Below you will be required to describe how you would handle a handful of scenarios that may or may not require admin intervention.
For every scenario, describe your personal opinion of the intentions of the player(s), whether you think you should intervene, and how you would initiate an intervention with the player(s) if you decide to.

There are technically no "correct" answers for this, but you will be judged on how you respond to these questions.

You observe two players having a fist-fight in the bar. Player 1 puts Player 2 into critical condition, and then Player 1 quickly leaves the bar to go heal them-self. Checking their attack logs, you find that neither of them had any interaction before they started fighting. Checking their say logs however, you discover that both of them got in a verbal confrontation that got very heated, and that Player 2 both initiated the confrontation and threw the first punch. How do you proceed?
First, I'd ask player 1 for their side of the story. I know I just went log diving and found the reason, but it's still nice to ask. Then I'd ask player 2. I understand that he just got his ass handed to him, and for all intents and purposes, it was solved ICly. If I see that player 2 had done the proper escalation technique, I would then just write it off as a resolved IC issue. If not, I'd give player 2 a warning not to try and cause shit again. Because, well. Look where it landed him. I would go back to player 1 and tell him that it was handled ICly, and the guy wasn't killed so it was sort of alright. And I would tell both of them to try and prevent fighting between eachother as a non-antag. I would give them both a warning, but if either had several tickets saying that they were a trouble maker, I would have to give them a more stern talking to.

You observe one player acting suspiciously and decide to watch them. While watching, you discover that they are a new player with less than a day of time on the server. You also discover that they haven't said anything for the entire round. Their contents include a full set of tools, and not much else. While watching they spend their time breaking into unsecure areas like the bar back room, hydroponics, the chapel office, EVA. How do you proceed?
First, I'd check the round type, their antag status, and their job. It's one thing if they're an assistant just breaking open backrooms, and if it's an engineer that instantly went and started breaking into shit. But, from the way the question is worded, it looks like they're just breaking into service job areas without stealing anything. I'd bwoink them, asking what they were doing, with no intent at that time to dole out a punishment. I mean, they're a new person, and probably learning how a mechanic works. If they aren't an assistant, I'd then try to coax them to stop breaking into areas, and would say that if they got caught, they'd be arrested. If they needed help learning their job, I would then provide them with help and the link to the wiki to assist them on going the right path. I've seen what new players can do when they're testing things out, and what 'new' players that are trying to self antag do. This scenario is the most ideal one, where the person is new, and is cooperative. If they start getting hostile, I would try to calm them down, and if that doesn't work, an hour ban telling them to read the rules and job requirements (if there were any), since breaking into places can lead to powergaming.

You observe Player 1 who is a scientist building a combat mech. When they're finished, they allow Player 2 who is their friend and an assistant to come and take the combat mech out of the department. Later, Player 2 gets into a fight with security over the possession of the combat mech, and decides to try killing the security players but fails and is killed by security instead. How do you proceed?
Whoo. One. Player 1 did a bad by making an unauthorized mech, and giving it to an assistant. That's not good on any account, and kinda ties into other problems with metabuddying. Player 2, who ICly is a Nanotrasen employee and should've asked if he was allowed to have it by atleast the scientist giving it to him. Durands and Phazons need to be authorized by heads of staff because they can cause a lot of problems in the wrong hands, as seen here. It's okay to have your assistant friend there with you while you work, but it's not okay to give them massive death machines just because you can. I mean, what was he going to do with it? I'm assuming it's an extended round with no current threat so there was no reason to even make the mech in the first place. It was handled ICly, but it was poor escalation to attack security for doing their job. One, they can't let an assistant run around in a combat mech, and two, they shouldn't be attacked for asking the person to step out of the mech peacefully. Depending on how many tickets this player has, I would either put it down as a ticket, seeing as he's dead and probably not getting cloned, or a day ban for self antagonization. As for the scientist, probably a temporary science ban for one, making a combat mech for no good reason, not clearing it with a head of staff, and then giving it to their friend, causing needless chaos. It's not fun for people to have to baby people because they did what they wanted to do, then have to kill someone when they wanted to talk peacefully. It's not cool, it's not fun, and I sure hope neither of them end up doing it again.
im going fuck kill mode

Ragolution

RE: Staff App - Ariever

Post by Ragolution »

I don't really feel as if you have the personality for this. That is my foremost, and perhaps greatest concern.

Do you think you can stand up for yourself when it comes to enforcing decisions?

Something I consider important is being able to keep other admins from clouding your judgement, and my greatest fear here, is that you'll become someone who follows the crowd.

Furthermore, and in that same vein, I'm left to wonder at whether or not you will be able to enforce the rules in an adequate manner- all bwoinks or tickets will come into conflict. Ten times out of nine, people will insist they did nothing wrong and when push comes to shove, one needs to be both willing to accept fault and refuse to back down when the person they're dealing with has done something wrong.

I feel, and fear, that you are someone who will always back down.

So. Here's your chance to sate my fears with some flowery words.
Last edited by Ragolution on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

areebur

Post by areebur »

I...holy shit rag you're right

I mean, as a babymin I'd hate to fuck up and end up getting de-minned for banning someone who didn't need to be banned, but if I see someone fucking up, and I know they're intentionally making things shitty for everyone, then I'll have to ban them. No matter how much they beg, or plead, or cry, I'll have to put my foot down and say 'naw fam, now sit in the time out corner'. I'm a lenient person, and it's hard to make me mad. But I'll have to put on a cold exterior and show no mercy, even if they're my friend. I'll have to bury the few emotions and feelings I don't have bottled up in order to be a successful authority figure.

People often come to me, and tell me things like 'This person is begging for x' or 'My ex[whatever] wants to get back together' and I'm usually the person that tells them not to do through with it. I realized a while back that I have to take my own advice, turn what I had said to others and use it myself. It's a little silly, really. I'm silly for not going through with it and today (or whenever i wake up again, it's kinda late here), I'll start taking my advice. No matter how much they beg, threaten, cry, or plead, I'll have to put my foot down. It kind of hurts to make people upset at me, but sometimes it has to be done. And as staff, it always has to be done.

I know my performance isn't always spectacular, but I'm working on becoming better. I've seen shit that players on citadel do, and it's a wake-up call, that I shouldn't be conforming to the main server player base's standards. I'll catch myself before I fuck up now, and possibly become more of a role model to everyone else.
im going fuck kill mode

areebur

Post by areebur »

can I, uh, get a response on this? it's been 14 days.
im going fuck kill mode

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

to be honest i have next to no idea who you are because i rarely play, so i was kinda hoping some more people would comment on this
ex-headmin

Raeschen

Post by Raeschen »

well i see you like around and stuff a fair bit, but similar to other staff concerns here, i don't really see you stand out all that much

Maybe that's a good thing, since i tend to more often than not notice people that are bad, but i dunno
Last edited by Raeschen on Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cw3040

Post by cw3040 »

I was told to comment on this application.

areebur

Post by areebur »

i hate you so much
im going fuck kill mode

katnep

Post by katnep »

They wanted a comment so my opinion is let them trial as mod, throw enough liquid shit at a wall and at least one of the chunks will stick

Tekoro

Post by Tekoro »

I've seen a fair bit of Ariever in game, and I think they wouldn't be terrible. My only concern is I don't know if they'd be able to handle it. Making them trial to see wouldn't cost much, I guess.