Temp-Ban Appeal

SawbonesArtellier

Temp-Ban Appeal

Post by SawbonesArtellier »

BYOND Name: SawbonesArtellier

Reason Banned: "Powergaming" - broke into the Captain's office and 'secured' the spare ID and Nuke Disk with assistance from the Quartermaster to establish an 'acting head of personnel' role.

Admin who banned: Worgilisk [Edited: Realized the name of the admin who banned is right in the message when you try to login! Sorry for forgetting it.]

Length Banned: 1 day

Appeal Reason: Lesson learned? Can't we just... like... make this a stern warning? What I did, I considered to be an IC course of action, with an IC understanding of how the system usually works. Even OOCly, I'm not entirely sure how the whole 'acting heads' thing works when there are no heads at all, but apparently what I've done the last couple of times wasn't the appropriate way to go about it and that's frankly fine with me. I didn't give myself all-access (I don't like it, and I try to avoid doing it even when I'm the HoP because of the temptation to abuse it.), it was given to me... and then immediately taken. Everything else taken from the Bridge was turned over immediately to the CMO... and while ideally I would have liked it to have been treated as an IC issue... with whatever punishment there may be doled out by the Head in charge, if I absolutely have to sit around for a day twiddling my thumbs waiting to get back onto the server, I mean I'm gonna just suck it up and do it... but I feel like my lack of repeat offenses, the turning-over of all sensitive items to the CMO, and the fact that I didn't actually DO anything harmful with the access (I wasn't given a chance, but I was only trying to get into engineering and security to restore power and borrow a stun-prod) could at least qualify as mitigating factors.

Last edited by SawbonesArtellier on Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tekoro

RE: Temp-Ban Appeal

Post by Tekoro »

The reason you were given a day ban was probably because this is not the first scenario where you went ahead and decided to take on a head role while joining as a normal crewmember, in this instance as an Assistant. You aren't a shitter at all, but I feel like you could use this 1day ban to reflect on why what you did was wrong, so this does not happen again. After all it's just one day, and if you think about it thoroughly, you won't make that mistake again and all will be fine.
Last edited by Tekoro on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raeschen

Post by Raeschen »

As someone who's seen a few limit-pushing behaviours tekoro mentions, i have to agree with him. It's not really a thing that's harming many people, but it does potentially fuck up antags.

rules are rules.

EpigraphZero

Post by EpigraphZero »

As the Quartermaster in question during this particular event, I can attest that SawbonesArtellier only wanted to get the engine up and running. I feel like the whole thing with Illot going berserk with a syringe gun made the situation just a tad more complicated than it had to be. At any rate, I think a day ban is more than a tad harsh, they are not a problem player by any definition of the term, and are generally quick to adapt to criticism.
From where I stood, their intentions were not anything but benign. Not to mention that as soon as the CMO came aboard the shuttle was called because there was nobody to power the engine in the end, anyway.
It seems to me like a warning probably would've been more appropriate here, but that's just my two cents as a player.

SawbonesArtellier

Post by SawbonesArtellier »

I don't think it's an unreasonable ban, per se... I just... think it's an unnecessary one. This isn't a situation which is going to happen again. The fact that it has been previously witnessed and this is the first I'm hearing about it being against the rules kinda sucks, but if I'd known I was doing something that could be construed as bannable I wouldn't have done it in the first place. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, fair enough, but it's important to me that I make it clear I wasn't just out on some mad quest for glory or anything. I was just trying to keep the round going in as ICly a way as possible

I'm the same person who accidentally signed on as HoP and got special dispensation to turn it over and become the bartender. I'm really not here for the powertrips or anything.

Like I said... I'll take it if I have to. Rules are rules, and all that. But... it really isn't necessary. And I just hope y'all know that I wasn't trying to be a shit or anything.
Last edited by SawbonesArtellier on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

tbh while I agree with this ban, i can also see the argument that it was a little bit excessive. that being said, it's only a day and i guess we should discourage people breaking the rules, so i'm probably not going to lift this.
ex-headmin