[SectoidDan] Note Appeal - GrayRachnid

GrayRachnid

[SectoidDan] Note Appeal - GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

BYOND account and character name: GrayRachnid - Exo

Noting admin: SectoidDan

Note:Harmed two crew by welderbombing an abductor as crewsimov engiborg. Warned.

Your side of the story: This is all true

Why you think you should be unnoted: I don't think I should be unnoted, but I think the severity of the note should be adjusted to mirror the severity of my actions. Neither of the crewmembers dipped anywhere near crit and where immediately healed. I even went and apologized to them both in medbay. The reason they were hit is because my welderbomb explosion set off a second fueltank in the area that I didn't notice.

Please lower the severity of the note.

MrJWhit

Re: [SectoidDan] Note Appeal - GrayRachnid

Post by MrJWhit »

For the record, the severity of the note is Extreme, it's a red circle with "!!!" in the middle.

SectoidDan

Post by SectoidDan »

This is a completely inane quibble, which unfortunately I've come to expect from you, Gray. The note is marked extreme for three reasons:

First, because you broke your Laws a borg in the pursuit of validhunting, and validhunting an antag that isn't particularly dangerous to boot. Intentionally doing something that breaks Law one, with the knowledge that it could very well break that Law, is bad. I'm not sure how else I can explain that to you. The fact that you feel the need to come and make an appeal because "Well, it wasn't that bad" kind of reinforces that you've missed the message, which is that you shouldn't break your Laws as a borg, especially if it's in the pursuit of validhunting.

Second, you've picked up a handful of notes for your silicon play in the past few months, and so the they have escalated in severity since you keep getting notes as silicon. Making one mistake once is one thing; make similar mistakes several times is obviously worse.

Finally, when I wrote this note the round was almost over and restart was imminent. I didn't want to delay the round over what should have been a very quick and very simple ahelp.

I don't know if any other admins will care to weigh in on this, so I'm going to leave it open for 48 hours then move it to denied unless you can make some extremely persuasive arguments.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

SectoidDan wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:35 pm
This is a completely inane quibble, which unfortunately I've come to expect from you, Gray. The note is marked extreme for three reasons:

First, because you broke your Laws a borg in the pursuit of validhunting, and validhunting an antag that isn't particularly dangerous to boot. Intentionally doing something that breaks Law one, with the knowledge that it could very well break that Law, is bad. I'm not sure how else I can explain that to you. The fact that you feel the need to come and make an appeal because "Well, it wasn't that bad" kind of reinforces that you've missed the message, which is that you shouldn't break your Laws as a borg, especially if it's in the pursuit of validhunting.
This was at best, very mild 'validhunting'. Abductors were harming crew whether miniscule or large. The crew harm was a complete accident because I did not notice the second fuel tank. I am bound by laws to prevent harm.
My first instinct after flooring the abductor was to get the crew to safety, to the point where I could've killed the abductor but followed my laws instead. If I was truly valid hunting I would have continued to attack him until he was dead while ignoring crew.
SectoidDan wrote:
Second, you've picked up a handful of notes for your silicon play in the past few months, and so the they have escalated in severity since you keep getting notes as silicon. Making one mistake once is one thing; make similar mistakes several times is obviously worse.
I only have one other Silicon note, one of which was me misunderstanding the guidelines in regards to Silicons. Black can confirm that what I did that round can be considered much worse than the validhunting I performed in regards to this note, yet it was not a severe note. Part of it can be attributed to the fact that it was my first Silicon Offense, and part of it can contribute to the fact that it was a misunderstanding of the silicons policy rather than a blatant rule break.
SectoidDan wrote:
Finally, when I wrote this note the round was almost over and restart was imminent. I didn't want to delay the round over what should have been a very quick and very simple ahelp.
I do not blame you for wanting to make it quick, I wasn't going to argue any further either. My whole issue is that you're blowing this out of proportion.

Edit: The only other silicon note I have

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

Ill be honest I've never actually paid attention to note severity anyway. When I'm digging through notes, I read them and form my own opinions on how bad they are. The existance of that marker is more or less ignored, and really I see very little point in making an appeal because of a stamp that means very little. Even then, I kinda agree with the severity put in place because welder bombing as a borg is really dumb, because not only does it create potential for crew harm due to people accidentally getting caught in the blast, or possible harm from the station venting, it also goes against law 3, since you're harming yourself for a very minor gain.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

HazelBailey wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:40 pm
Ill be honest I've never actually paid attention to note severity anyway. When I'm digging through notes, I read them and form my own opinions on how bad they are. The existance of that marker is more or less ignored, and really I see very little point in making an appeal because of a stamp that means very little. Even then, I kinda agree with the severity put in place because welder bombing as a borg is really dumb, because not only does it create potential for crew harm due to people accidentally getting caught in the blast, or possible harm from the station venting, it also goes against law 3, since you're harming yourself for a very minor gain.
Law 1 is higher priority than law 3. Harm is harm whether small or big. I was preventing harm by getting rid of the abductors.

Trojan_Coyote

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

Harm is harm whether minor or big but earlier in this appeal you go against this by saying they were nowhere near crit. I think appealing over the severity marker is asinine either way.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

Trojan_Coyote wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:44 am
Harm is harm whether minor or big but earlier in this appeal you go against this by saying they were nowhere near crit. I think appealing over the severity marker is asinine either way.
I was justifying my 'validhunting' by saying that harm is harm that needs to be stopped and that was done by killing the aliens as compared to law 3. I admit I underestimated the power of the welder fuel tank. This is the first time i've used it and I was simply blown away by it only to later realize there was a second fuel tank that blew up along with it. The moment I realized my mistake, I helped rescue both crewmembers and patched up the two hull holes. They were both taken to medbay and healed. I even went and apologized to them. I realized at that point that I should not have blow it up anywhere near that and that I should keep fuel-tank bombing away from other people.

As I have said, I do not disagree with this note. However, I disagree with the maximum severity it brings a long which blows the note out of proportion. This wasn't some deliberate attempt of me griefing. I wasn't out there aiming to ruin anyone's game. I committed a mistake, I acknowledge it, I don't think it needs to be blown out of proportion.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

Could've sworn I moved this earlier.

At SectoidDan's request, this is being moved to denied because not agreeing with any part of the note (including the severity) isnt a reason for an appeal.