[IzzyInBox] cafaling - Note Appeal

Cafaling

[IzzyInBox] cafaling - Note Appeal

Post by Cafaling »

BYOND account and character name: cafaling - Cheri Rifler

Noting admin: IzzyInBox

Note severity: Minor Severity, but listed as secret for some reason

Note: Was a component in overescalation jumping to lethal guns immediately from talking, in killing a borg that was following its orders. The player's partner killing someone trying to intrude in their decidedly "claimed" area (deep space bunker) who was ordering the borg. I asked them to bring up things that throw red flags to being OOC levels of being a dick, or repeated harassment.

Appeal:

This is tied to a round where I went into space with another Assistant, claiming the bunker for ourselves. We used it as a base to loot some nearby ruins, with the plan to make ourselves a chill hideout. One of us would guard the bunker, the other would do salvage. When I returned from one such looting run I found a borg (Doggo) with a Cargo Tech (Leska Dreskat) inside them, in the bunker for some inexplicable reason. The other Assistant, Luna, was already clearly on edge and threatening to shoot, as per the warning she had written in the foyer of the bunker.

After a moment, I law 2'd the borg to leave, which they seemed more than happy to do, but were prevented from doing so by the Cargo Tech's own law 2s. Thinking she might be injured due to a stutter, I asked and was told she just had anxiety. Since she had no injuries and was already intruding, I said she should leave. One of her comments made was "I do not cooperate with people who are mean." to 2 armed people, who were threatening to shoot her and the borg. We spent 30 minutes trying to get them to leave, at one point I even ahelped asking for an OOC intervention over the mess that was occurring. Finally, fed up with the total waste of time and lack of admin intervention, we crowbarred Leska out of Doggo and killed her on the spot.

It was only AFTER she died that Izzy finally arrived on the scene, taking no time at all to first berate me for the phrasing I used in my ahelp (where I was already getting frustrated OOC, hence WHY I ahelped at all) and then also claiming that I should have ahelped sooner, before she was killed. I pointed out that I did, and while Izzy relented and admitted I had in fact done so, I still got this note, it would seem.

Considering that I did ahelp long before killing the person, did NOT kill the borg involved (merely threatened to in frustration), and spent 30 minutes trying to do everything BUT kill Leska before I finally said fuck it and killed her, I think this note is not only unfair but also misinformation. If anything, the player behind Leska should have been noted for A: Behaving in a manner that is anything but sane and reasonable: Purposely endangering a borg with Law 2s because they wanted someone to apologize to them for being mean and disregarding the fact that not only was the person in question armed, but also threatening to shoot them. All because Luna was 'mean' to them. In what reality would this be remotely sane? Even after being killed they declared their intent to come back out into space to extract an apology from the people who had killed them.

HazelBailey

Re: [IzzyInBox] cafaling - Note Appeal

Post by HazelBailey »

Ill dig through logs once I have a free moment, but unless those logs dig something up that isnt mentioned here, I'd be in favor of lifting this note.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

Sooo, looked at the logs. Your ahelp was sent at 03:12:05. Your first attack log after this was at 03:13:29, and shows you firing the gun mentioned in the note at the floor, then in same second hitting Doggo. There are multiple other attack logs showing you firing the gun at various objects (for those not aware, the attack log mentions the object that your mouse was hovering over when you actually click), and then at 03:14:24 is when the first attack log after your ahelp shows you directly interacting with the other player, who was already in crit. You gave admins exactly 1 minute and 24 seconds, during which time they were trying to figure out the context of what was going on, before opening up with your guns, which is what got you the note. I am not in favor of removing this one, as a result.

Cafaling

Post by Cafaling »

The ahelp was sent late into the situation, however the entire thing had been going on for what must have been 20+ minutes. Moments after the ahelp went out, after I had dragged the Borg into space and away from the bunker, making sure they could get back to the station, they somehow managed to barge back in- I started shooting reflexively. In the ahelp itself Izzy even admits I ahelped before it all happened.

Small edit, both for a typo and further clarification: Understand that we had said multiple times we would shoot to kill if they continued to harass us, we had a very clear warning in the bunker foyer, and had tried asking them to leave, telling them to leave, and firing warning shots, some of which hit the borg. And they continued to harass us.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

After a bit of discussion in admin chat, I'm gonna deny this appeal, with another headmin also believing the note shouldn't be removed. I understand that you did ahelp, and I greatly appreciate that you did so, but I also do not believe you gave admins enough time to step in and handle the situation before pulling ballistics and open firing. If they started out being dangerously hostile, I'd be much more on board for removing the note, but as it stands at this time, I do not personally believe the note was placed in error, or should otherwise be removed.