[auris456852][RP] Mirukihoshi - Banned for logging out to avoid "punishment"

mirukihoshi

Re: [auris456852][RP] Mirukihoshi - Banned for logging out to avoid "punishment"

Post by mirukihoshi »

HazelBailey wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:36 am
So let me lay out some facts. You, in an earlier round, got into a fight with Cassie and killed them. Your character now has a reputation for killing someone. In this round, you threaten Cassie and it eventually gets reported. Because of the threat, (which is illegal on it's own, but your history with Cassie causes people to take it more seriously) you are arrested and taken to processing, at which time you DC'd. Disconnecting is what landed you with a ban.

The reason we're now unwilling to lift your current ban is because so far you've shown your character to be very unstable, unfitting for a roleplay environment, and your history on our main server weighs heavily against you, given your previous interactions with admins.

We are allowed to bring up past issues if we feel they are relevant to an appeal. Most of the admins talking to you right now feel that these should weigh against you because of your attitude in this appeal. I know you said in the original post they you havent taken your meds, but that doesnt excuse anything, and the point you bring up about disconnecting so you dont break any more rules leaves admins wary about lifting your ban, because it feels like you could easily fly off the rails and cause further issue.
This is my first offense on RP, and the first time I've begun to regularly play on it since about a couple of years ago. Given how I've been restraining myself here, I like to think it's clear that I've changed, especially given the amount of time I have waited to even start playing on a Citadel server again. I find it extremely unfair that events from over two years ago are being weighed against me, when I'm sure all of you have changed in some way in that timespan. Me DC'ing because I was too irritable is directly related to my meds, as I wouldn't have been that irritable had I remembered to take them, so you don't have to be wary about me "flying off the rails" at all, and I find that a little offensive that you'd assume that.

Also, having a slightly unstable character shouldn't be grounds for the player to be banned from the server, as the only rule I have broken was an OOC one. This is a roleplay server, and I have been roleplaying a character.

auris456852

Re: [auris456852][RP] Mirukihoshi - Banned for logging out to avoid "punishment"

Post by auris456852 »

Indeed you were, but unfortunately. the past does affect the future. It has, in fact, been almost a year since then, and had I not been made aware of any of this, I'd have likely just reduced it to a 3 day ban... But, you haven't really done much around here in your time off Main. While there's a possibility that you may have changed for the better in the time you were gone, your actions in the past few days don't provide us a lot of credibility in that. If you stuck around for like a week or two without any incident, making something of a name for yourself? Maybe. But as it stands, we have little reason to believe such.

And a personal suggestion... Set two, maybe three alarms to make sure you take your meds. Docs don't prescribe it just so it would be ignored. If you need it, you need it.

mirukihoshi

Post by mirukihoshi »

auris456852 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:53 am
Indeed you were, but unfortunately. the past does affect the future. It has, in fact, been almost a year since then, and had I not been made aware of any of this, I'd have likely just reduced it to a 3 day ban... But, you haven't really done much around here in your time off Main. While there's a possibility that you may have changed for the better in the time you were gone, your actions in the past few days don't provide us a lot of credibility in that. If you stuck around for like a week or two without any incident, making something of a name for yourself? Maybe. But as it stands, we have little reason to believe such.

And a personal suggestion... Set two, maybe three alarms to make sure you take your meds. Docs don't prescribe it just so it would be ignored. If you need it, you need it.
I appreciate your response, but why are the actions of a character I am playing reflecting on me? Buddy is a character. I have not broken any rules on the server besides DC'ing, and if I have, I have not been made aware of them by any admins. I am confused as to why roleplay is having any effect on an OOC issue.

Also, yeah. You'd think this quarantine stuff would make it easier to keep track of that, but APPARENTLY not.

auris456852

Post by auris456852 »

I won't say much about your character, even if they've been stirring the pot a fair deal. They're not entirely why we're here.
We have the "no self-antagging" rule for a reason. While it states that it will mostly be left to in-character solutions, it also states that a caveat is doubly as applicable for it, and it goes as follows:
  • Repeatedly coming close to breaking a rule (i.e., "toeing the line") will be counted as breaking the rule.
This should likely be used more, and if I could get myself to keep track of everything people do on Main, it likely would be used a lot. Thing is, a little bit is fine, doing it repeatedly isn't.

But back on the more immediate topic. The biggest issue is that we have something like this happen what would seem like less than a week after your return.
Imagine, if you will, a criminal, who gets arrested for... Let's say, robbing someone. Then they come back out a while later and forge some documents immediately after, which are found out within a week. While I feel it should be otherwise, in some jurisdictions, while committing the same kind of crime is an aggravating circumstance which tends to get them a worse punishment, committing a different kind isn't, so looking at it from that angle, they would get the same punishment as a first offender unless any of the other things apply.
However, if they keep doing things, they could suspect that the mitigating factor of regret is false and it is done for selfish or hooligan incentives. When someone comes in, gets banned, then has a breakdown that gets them banned again not long after they get another chance... I think you can see how it'd make us a little uneasy.

mirukihoshi

Post by mirukihoshi »

auris456852 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:56 am
I won't say much about your character, even if they've been stirring the pot a fair deal. They're not entirely why we're here.
We have the "no self-antagging" rule for a reason. While it states that it will mostly be left to in-character solutions, it also states that a caveat is doubly as applicable for it, and it goes as follows:
  • Repeatedly coming close to breaking a rule (i.e., "toeing the line") will be counted as breaking the rule.
This should likely be used more, and if I could get myself to keep track of everything people do on Main, it likely would be used a lot. Thing is, a little bit is fine, doing it repeatedly isn't.

But back on the more immediate topic. The biggest issue is that we have something like this happen what would seem like less than a week after your return.
Imagine, if you will, a criminal, who gets arrested for... Let's say, robbing someone. Then they come back out a while later and forge some documents immediately after, which are found out within a week. While I feel it should be otherwise, in some jurisdictions, while committing the same kind of crime is an aggravating circumstance which tends to get them a worse punishment, committing a different kind isn't, so looking at it from that angle, they would get the same punishment as a first offender unless any of the other things apply.
However, if they keep doing things, they could suspect that the mitigating factor of regret is false and it is done for selfish or hooligan incentives. When someone comes in, gets banned, then has a breakdown that gets them banned again not long after they get another chance... I think you can see how it'd make us a little uneasy.
Uneasy, I totally understand. However, it definitely does not help having things I have done in the distant past shoved in my face, when this isn't the same server, and a long period has gone by. I also, personally don't remember coming close to breaking rules, except for the manhunt the other day. The Cassie thing was self-defense, and her murder was unintentional, so that is an IC thing, and not a rulebreak. I also forgot to mention, I actually have played on RP consistently before I started playing again recently, under the character Jade (can't remember her surname at the moment), a deer, and I never did anything rule-breaky, and did a fair amount of roleplay. Granted, that was almost a year ago now, it proves that I am capable of doing so, and that you shouldn't have to "worry", as you claim you would have to.

This has been my first offense on RP, which I specifically did to avoid causing further problems and it developing into this kind of discussion, but now, I see, that this would've happened either way, and that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. This is me trying, but having everything I've done years before thrown in my face makes it seem like that doesn't matter, even if that isn't true.

mirukihoshi

Post by mirukihoshi »

mirukihoshi wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:05 am
auris456852 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:56 am

Uneasy, I totally understand. However, it definitely does not help having things I have done in the distant past shoved in my face, when this isn't the same server, and a long period has gone by. I also, personally don't remember coming close to breaking rules, except for the manhunt the other day. The Cassie thing was self-defense, and her murder was unintentional, so that is an IC thing, and not a rulebreak. I also forgot to mention, I actually have played on RP consistently before I started playing again recently, under the character Jade (can't remember her surname at the moment), a deer, and I never did anything rule-breaky, and did a fair amount of roleplay. Granted, that was almost a year ago now, it proves that I am capable of doing so, and that you shouldn't have to "worry", as you claim you would have to.

This has been my first offense on RP, which I specifically did to avoid causing further problems and it developing into this kind of discussion, but now, I see, that this would've happened either way, and that doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. This is me trying, but having everything I've done years before thrown in my face makes it seem like that doesn't matter, even if that isn't true.
Also, adding onto this, I don't mind if you simply reduce the ban. I understand a full on unban might be a little much, but I'm totally okay with just a reduction. Whether that's 3 days or less, as auris has said, or even longer, if that's what you want. I'd just like another chance, given I haven't done anything besides this on RP at all, and like I said, and as everyone is, I'm a bit different than how I was 2 years ago.

Captain277

Post by Captain277 »

Hey all. Just wanted to comment really quick without peanut posting. Miru asked me to check the appeal when it was first published, and I've been checking on it throughout. I know I've only been here about two weeks now, but I told Miru how this would probably go. I advised her to request a reduction from Perma to a Month or Weekban, with a probationary period afterwards to be determined by the Administration. Since she's a little emotional about it at the moment, I'd like to recommend that on her behalf. If Miru's behavior really has changed in the year since the last incident, a probationary period after some time to cool off would be the ideal way to determine her sincerity, in my opinion.

Vincent Airin

Post by Vincent Airin »

Since we were asked to render some judgement, there's one particular aspect here I want to make abundantly, adamantly clear in this affair: Blaming actions on a character is the worst of excuses in my book. Your character doesn't act on it's own whims or impulses, YOU in your chair types words and emotes, YOU in your chair press inputs and make actions. Blaming your character for what you do is NEVER a viable excuse for behavior. Period.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

Alright, after discussions in admin chat, and given the fact that the banning admin is against lifting your ban at this time, I'll be moving your appeal to denied. You will be more than free to appeal this ban in the future, once you can get an admin from another server to vouch for your improved behavior. The reason this consensus was reached on the ban is because of the lengthy history you have on main, as well as the short amount of time you were noticed playing on the RP server before issues regarding your character's actions began to crop up, which leaves admins, (myself included) unwilling to lift this ban at the current moment. That being said, if you do get this vouch, I will be more than happy to lift the ban, myself. Until that time, I wish you the best of luck in your future servers.