Dynamic Rounds Discussion and what needs to be tuned for it to run.

GrayRachnid

Dynamic Rounds Discussion and what needs to be tuned for it to run.

Post by GrayRachnid »

So it's been a recurring topic that Dynamic needs to be enabled but isn't because everytime it turns into a cesspit shorter and more hellish than rev rounds. While I do agree, and i've seen those rounds myself, Dynamic rounds is an extremely customizable piece of code that can be finetuned for the servers' likes. I'm going to give a rough paraphrased explanation of how it works, feel free to correct me.

At every roundstart, based on voting and the server pop, Dynamic rounds rolls a number between 0-100. Depending on this number, certain modes are allowed and certain modes are not. Some modes are also locked by population, and their point price rises depending on the population.

As an example, assume the server rolls 80 points. The currently most expensive round-start antagonists are nukeops, at 40 points. The dynamic rounds then randomly rolls for nuke ops, using up 40 of the 80 points. Dynamic rounds now has 40 points leftover to spawn late-join or mid-round antagonists with. These are currently spawned 5-25 minutes after roundstart for latejoin antagonists, and 15-35 minutes after roundstart for mid-round antagonists. Putnam will be adding options in the config to change those timers, I personally suggest 20-40 minutes for latejoin and 30-55 minutes for mid-round antags.

Once all the 80 points are used up, the server reverts to simply calling random events everytime the event controller saves up enough points to run an event. Keep in mind, the random event controller is also running the whole time alongside dynamic mode. Dynamic rounds simply focuses on spawning antagonists while the event controller continues to focus on other random events that could affect the station.

Here is the .txt I was linked that contains a lot of the numbers that make Dynamic rounds what they are right now. Putnam will be making a few changes to it to make it more customizable, but the controls of it will remain in the hands of the headmins. I think this thread will be a good place to start discussion on how Dynamic mode can be finetuned better for the Citadel-main server. Feel free to ask questions or leave comments/concerns about dynamic. I probably won't be the only one to answer them!

AvaricePleonexia

Re: Dynamic Rounds Discussion and what needs to be tuned for it to run.

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Cool.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

The question is, why isn't it enabled yet

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

Dynamic rounds are now being testmerged, post any concerns here for discussion.

Here is the current config file for dynamic. Pick it apart, I can also explain how it works.

AWingedHussar

Post by AWingedHussar »

If everyone is going to be forced to have the chance to be involved with antags now via the midround stuff I think there should be a way for people to atleast decrease their chance of becoming a target for said antags. Perhaps halfing the chance for people who voted extended's chance of being a target and doubling those that voted chaotic? I think that would be fair to both parties.
People who want chaos get a better chance of getting that chaos and people who want a bit of peace have a better chance of that.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

I like Removesilicon's suggestion of people with antag enabled having a higher chance of being targeted as well.

AWingedHussar

Post by AWingedHussar »

I like the idea too! But I think people who have it disabled should have a lower chance of targeting too.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

I don't think that'd quite work well, if you have it enabled then you have a higher chance of being targeted but it should remain RNG. Having to kill the same people over and over again because they have antag enabled is annoying not to mention most people who have antag enabled are robust players and they'd just meta-prepare themselves being a target if they know about this system. It should remain RNG with a slight curve to antag-enabled players if it is ever implemented.

Nethaufer

Post by Nethaufer »

The problem I have with it is trying to salvage a round when an antag type that is supposed to be the sole focus, such as bcult, wizard, and nukies (nukies to a lesser extent), where they can have a massive negative effect on the station. Cult and their bases, and stuff wizards summon causing continual issues, primarily the fact magic events would keep cycling causing interruptions (floor is lava and the most disruptive; mind swapping) leaving not much chance for things to ever calm down.

I'm not against the idea of dynamic, but that's one of the primary reasons why I dislike it.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

Summon events, guns, and magic have all been tweaked to only work when the threat generated is on the higher spectrum. The wizard otherwise would not be allowed to use them. They also have a cost associated with them so if previous antags and the wizard spawn use up all the cost, then the wizard also won't be able to use them. That point was brought up and Putnam made a work-around for it.

Not much can be said about cults though, that's just the way cults is. Cult bases aren't that much of a station destroyer though, unless they get an artificer that decides to destroy every wall because for some reason artificers can just 1 hit destroy walls.