In Regards to breaking into areas having OOC consequences.

GrayRachnid

In Regards to breaking into areas having OOC consequences.

Post by GrayRachnid »

So, as of late there has been a flurry of complaints towards people who break in to areas to steal items. ICly this ranges from petty theft to theft depending on what is stolen. I'm not talking about high tech items or items that are specifically antag items. I'm talking about items that are semi-rare such as Mesons, insulated gloves, toolbelts, biosuits, etc. I feel like the admin team needs to reach a conclusion whether it is okay or if it is not okay to steal such items from an OOC standpoint.

In my opinion, enforcing OOC rules on Petty theft is ruining RP more than it is encouraging it. This encourages people to immediately hit that F1 button everytime someone does something they don't like and spread the community further apart that it is already is. This is one of the first few steps pushing us to old HRP servers like Hypathia where you need to ask permission from an admin to even breath. This is obviously me taking it to the extreme but it honestly is starting to feel like that to some of us.

If the admin team is adamant on enforcing OOC rules on IC petty theft then that should be make loud and clear in the discord or forum announcement sections.

A few examples of recent complaints/punishments.
viewtopic.php?f=24&p=12498
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3245

As you can see, the responses from the different admins vary in both of these threads. For the note appeal, the admins chastise the player despite asking for permission and close the appeal. In the complaint, kevinz immediately asks Forrest 'if he does the same' calling him out for his hypocrisy. Which i'll also do here since i'm not allowed to 'peanut' on complaints.

Yes, this threat is slightly salt-flavored since I just got a maximum severity note for breaking into places and taking things. This is also in part, being made due to the note I received today because i'd like a verdict to be made by the admin team in regards to it.

Here's my note appeal for reference.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3252
Last edited by GrayRachnid on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ForrestWick

Re: In Regards to breaking into areas having OOC consequences.

Post by ForrestWick »

That round in particular I was hacking the vendor for the extended cap air tank, but I didnt break into engi. I got access because I asked the captain for it so I could remodel the library into a lounge.

This was discussed on staff forum on the discord with sectoiddan/shahmin

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

yeah, i'll edit that out. The rest of the threat still has a point though.

superHB

Post by superHB »

It's a few days late but yeah I totally agree with the points made here and points made on the Discord. A LOT of people, including some Admins, feel like my note is ridiculous. This is something that could've been handled in IC... and actually was handled in IC the entire time until I got bwoinked.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

It's never too late to reply to a forum thread, they're there so that people can reply to them at their own time.

ForrestWick

Post by ForrestWick »

I'd like to belatedly add that whenever Gray would tide into engi to steal things, he would do so via external airlock and cause areas to partially vent roundstart.