From random ghost role, to static-namer, the Meena-Sheer story

MimicFaux

From random ghost role, to static-namer, the Meena-Sheer story

Post by MimicFaux »

Formatting slightly wonky due to being written on my phone, but some may enjoy the read.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the many charms of SS13 is how a narrative can develop from multiple points of view and the chain of events that lead up to it.

One particularly memorable round was when I became an Ash Walker, one of the reptilian natives of the planet Nanotrasen is mining from.
I carved out an existence for myself, slowly building myself up weapons and armour harvested from the ferocious fauna. I felt and looked like a proper monster hunter! The key to my success and a point of pride was the Dark Blessing I looted, a parasitical bone blade that replaces the arm you pick it up with.

Looking sufficiently savage, and emboldened by my successes, so started venturing farther and farther from the nest. Tunneling slowly through the rock in the vague direction of the mining outpost. Here's where my story began to get interesting. As I begin to find signs of station-side miners; spent healing pens, clean-cut tunnels, bloody footprints, etc. I find the corpse of another Ash Walker. Now, out of character, I can deduce that it -probably- is just an NPC corpse dropped by a legion, but that's neither fun nor interesting.

Finally coming across the mining outpost I'm surprised to see the place had been overrun with xenomorphs. Broken eggs and weeds everywhere. Even an alien corpse! Like any good scavenger I set about breaking into the ruined outpost for supplies, tools, and possibly weapons I can bring back to the nest. Using my bone claw I smash through the suit storage window, and pick my way through the glass. I'm snout deep into a toolbox when a voice calls out from the shadows of the outpost, "Hey".
Standing safely on the other side of the door was Durgit, another miner presumably and wearing a syndicate soft suit.

We make small chat, and I tell him of my travels to make it this far and of the great Hunts I had taken part in along the way. Just as I begin to feel comfortable, Murphy's Law throws a curve ball in the form of Jush-Tehat, a miner fresh from exploring the wastes and entering in from the main entrance. They are immediately angry with me for breaking and entering. Shouting at me to leave immediately. In particular he takes offense for me venting 'the last good room'. Durgit tries to reassure them it wasn't that big a deal since the entire outpost had already been gutted by the xenomorphs. The miner isn't having any of that, he brandished a fully kitted out KA-gun, complete with the cosmetic hyper chassis. I notice that he's also wearing a bag of holding. Fully geared, and pissed off; with me wearing bones and leather and one arm bound to melee weapon. I take a bit of inspiration at the moment and rise to his aggression with threats of my own. Laying the death of the Ash Walker corpse I found on him, naming him trespasser and kin slayer. Durgit, ever the intermediary, tries to keep things from escalating by saying it was probably the xenomorphs that killed them. Nope. It's come to blows and Jush-Tehat shoots first.

The space is confined and I only get one hit in on him and before he pulls out a second gun, a plasma cutter and lets me have it with both barrels. RNG is against me on this and on the second shot with the cutter he severs my left arm, my blade arm! Injured, and slowly losing ground to my ranged opponent I think about how bad ass it was for my Walker to be suddenly disarmed, scrabble forward and in an act of desperation give up their remaining arm to the Dark Blessing to keep fighting. Against the odds, I close the distance and put in three more solid hits and drop him. Wasting no time, I quickly grab and toss him out the window into a pool of lava to finish him. I give a triumphant screech and am left with Durgit congratulating me on the fight and fishing his friend, if not co-worker out of the lava.

Once the miner is stabilized, Durgit offers to sew my arm back on. I'd be soon dead without it, and hastily agree. To my surprise he leads me not deeper into the outpost or even back to the station, but to the south landing site where the white ship was parked! Once inside I saw it was fully decked out as a mobile station. RnD, robotics, cloner, botany, etc. Outside a mining cyborg was fighting a drake, so we take off for deep space!

Now that the adrenaline of battle has worn off, both ICily and OOCily, I realize I'm badly hurt and bleeding. Durgit starts to patch me up and prepares the surgery when lo and behold, the angry miner kicks in the door for round two! His first shot goes wide, giving me a chance to get up and take cover. Durgit is pleading for peace and my Ash Walker is not turning down the challenge. We yakkity sax around the shuttle, but I'm taking a lot of hits since he has the tables to keep us apart. I take shelter inside a sleeper between shots, darting out and slashing him between shots or whenever he gets too close. Eventually, all my ducking and weaving pays off and he goes down a second time, and after he's put firmly into crit, does Durgit stabilize the miner, this time heavily sedating them.

Thoroughly impressed at my ability to put down an angry, miner with one arm not once, but twice, Durgit invites me back to his 'Nest'. We dock at arrivals and I poke curiously at the windows where I'm warned not to break them as it's 'very cold outside'. I make a cliche joke about not understanding I'm in space. We start chatting out front of cargo, discussing the possibilities of getting me an ID and making me a part of the crew.
Then something amazing happens. The miner wakes up from their morphine coma, thoroughly pissed, and comes running and gunning for me. At the same time however, I spotted the Head of Security come around the corner, with a cyborg in tow. Rather than fight back, I take refuge in a locker, bunkered down under a hail of gunfire. You might guess who the HoS thought was the bigger threat. Arrested and carted away, the miner would trouble me no more. I then rode the escape shuttle and re-created Meena-Sheer as a regular member of the crew.

As the cherry on the cake, the very next round I was a traitor with the target objective for Jush-Tehat!
Perfect.

Girdo

RE: From random ghost role, to static-namer, the Meena-Sheer story

Post by Girdo »

MimicFaux wrote: Formatting slightly wonky due to being written on my phone, but some may enjoy the read.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A beautiful, beautiful story here.

My possibly favorite part of this was the fact that you got a traitor assassinate objective for Urist McMiner the round after this all happened. I've seen Meena around the station, and in mining, but never talked to them enough to actually get their story. I'm impressed :)

kfive

RE: From random ghost role, to static-namer, the Meena-Sheer story

Post by kfive »

Which just goes to show how amazingly neglected the concept of "hiring standards" is in NT. Hired one day, turncoat the next.

Strictly speaking, though, Ash Walkers are guardians of the Necropolis, and shouldn't have any interest in being corporate puppets. Sucks the colossus will still shoot at them, though.

~Dane