Potential objective rework [Extremely Hot!] [Gone Sexual!!]

Anything related to new features, changes, or icons should be posted here.
Nik707

Potential objective rework [Extremely Hot!] [Gone Sexual!!]

Post by Nik707 »

Alright, kids. Gather round while Papa Drinks-Too-Much discusses the issues with the current objectives. This may be a text wall depending how much I can bother to format it.

THE PROBLEM.
As it currently stands, the objective system is extremely binary and is rather un-engaging. It's essentially a list of "Steal X (where X is a usually hard to obtain item)" or "Assassinate Y (Where Y is literally a random crewmember." This means most antags are generally an RNG roll and if you get an easy objective like stealing plasma, and an easy target like an un-robust ERP target, you get easy greentext. Furthermore, the binary state of 'Green/Red' gives an extreme issue with people who *only* care for said greentext. This leads to things like someone completing their easy objectives, and then forcing a shuttle call because hiding in maint for an hour sucks. This also leads to a lot of un-needed murderboning which is "allowed" but opens you up to admin memes, which rarely ever happen. So, hardly worth note. Murderboning is fun! For the person doing it. For everyone else, it sucks.

THE (possible) SOLUTION.
Make objectives less binary. No longer is it 'steal X,' instead, you might get 'Steal any object from X department.' The more valuable your item is, the better your rating. So if you get the RDs tele-armor, that's worth more than a cyborg limb. Then, to add to it, you throw in sub-objectives. These are all modular, and can be attached to other main objectives. Such may be, No Violence, Fast Completion, Stealth and the like, limited only by imagination and ability to track it. You will be assigned objectives and sub-objectives possibly based on rating, so the higher your rating the harder your objectives get on average, and on top of this, bonuses can be earned. Do a no kill run while it's not assigned? You get a bonus. You are only penalized bu failing to complete assigned Sub objectives, but can get bonuses for completing ones not assigned. Not only can you work on a difficulty curve to give the more robust antags a harder challenge, but you can also rework the antag rep system to curve chances for those with higher ratings. Now better antags get it more often, and get harder objectives, while the less able ones get slightly easier tasks. To avoid abuse, lower population times have your ratings diminished slightly when accounted for in things like difficulty and chance to get antag, so you can't get on at off hours with 5 other people and farm rating. After time to gauge the numbers and see where things fall, ranks can be shown on the end screen rather than the simple 'Green/Red'text. This is a system that would allow players to decide what they do, and how they do it. I'm toying with the idea of a 'objective prefs' section so you can have some impact on the objectives you get allowing you to reduce chances of getting objectives you don't enjoy, at a cost of rating. This all can tie quite well into Bhijn's teased storyteller system, as it allows for a much larger variance of chaos between antags. This will also come with some game-mode changes, and new objectives entirely.

FEEDBACK.
I have the creative ability of a limp sock, please, if you have ideas for new objectives, ways to incorporate current game-modes, or anything you think could make this a better system, drop it here. Forums are massively disused but this is the best way to make sure your suggestion isn't lost. So drop it in here, and have fun. 

Existing plans.

I currently have plans to make a syndicate version of revs. It will be called 'TakeOver' and will involve these modular objectives. It will begin like traitors, and play out much like revs in the attempt to remove heads. It will have various bonuses however, tied to sub objectives. You might get HOSTILE Takeover, where you have to kill all heads, or COVERT takeover, where you have to convert them. On top of this, you might get a sub bonus for not being too violent, or being EXTRA violent. This also has even further possibility to invoke a deathsquad-esque syndicate raid on the hostile takeover in which the traitors need to get to the bridge with the Captain's ID or something to call in the Syndicate raiding party.
Last edited by Nik707 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Improvedname

RE: Potential objective rework [Extremely Hot!] [Gone Sexual!!]

Post by Improvedname »

Give antags a freedom of objectives choice with antags assisting them with their gimmick

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Coding something like that sounds awful, the idea sounds wonderful and I'm in full support of it, just being real.
Anyways, your other plans about the take-overs also sound interesting, wouldn't mind some robust conversation on how such a thing could possibly implemented.
c:
The bigger your shoes, the bigger your dick. The bigger your car, the smaller your dick.

No wonder people are so afraid of clowns.

StellarWolf

Post by StellarWolf »

Most of the time it's either kill this specific person or steal this specific hard to obtain item. Half the time I do neither due to the difficulty it is to do either. If this was moved into the server, it would easily make it more enjoyable. Something much better than whether you get a simple 'greentext' or not. As for if everyone would like it? I sure hope so. It would be much more rewarding to see how well you do at thieving high end items than just running to the vault to get a piece of paper, or stilling the captains gun. As for the killing part? I honestly don't know what to do for that other than un-change that specific objective type or remove it entirely (Not a good idea since most enjoy the thrill of hunting another player.). So yeah. My opinion on this. Will it be added anytime soon? Probably unlikely. But it is something to hope for!

fattypenguin

Post by fattypenguin »

I wouldn't want to be the one coding that, honestly it sound awful to code. Idea is great but your main point is that people complete their objectives fast and rush a shuttle call. I think it will just be worst if they just have to steal a cyborg arm but yeah, I see where you're going. Also, the "stealth" sub-objective wouldn't be like, really hard to code? I'm just speaking as someone that doesn't know very much about Dreammaker language but for that objective you would need a listener that would always check if there is someone in range that can see you and then triggers it, failing the objective? Or would it need to be in that department to be triggered? So if a scientist need to steal something from Science, he's done for. Fast completion would also make people rush for the shuttle call, since they need to win ASAP.

Also, wouldn't the ranking system makes people salty? If someone completes his objectives by murderboning all the peeps and get first in ranking,people might be mad about that.

But yeah, I personally enjoy the idea. It would be even better if the number of security was accounted in the difficulty level. But there would be more thing to take account of like what happen if securities join mid game and what if the Hop give a security job to someone.

Welp, that was my thinking hue.
If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

Stealth would work by checking visibility with certain objects, but it's probably the one I see as most unfeasible. As far as fast completion, that just means *getting* the objective, so killing the person, or getting hands on the item. Not completing the round. Ranking always makes people salty, that's half the fun. Population and people in departments will definitely matter to rating.

fattypenguin

Post by fattypenguin »

Yeah but for the *getting* the objective, if the security beat the crap out of you and recover it, does it still count or does the timer start again?

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

As long as you succeed by round end, it will still retain the original time. I think security touching the item may possibly null your time, but that's something I'd have to think on.

fattypenguin

Post by fattypenguin »

One last thing, for the steal X item from the department: Wouldn't it need to have all those items from all the department to have a tag added like rdCyborgArm, qmTagger, etc. And what happen if you make a cyborg arm from a maintenance manufactor? Does it still count?

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

Still working out how to track it, but yes it would still count as it is still an item under the research umbrella. Where it is taken from doesn't have any effect.