IC in OOC rules suggestion

Anything related to new features, changes, or icons should be posted here.
j'Taji

IC in OOC rules suggestion

Post by j'Taji »

Current rules is avoid discussing in-character events in out of character chat, no exceptions however I think there should be some reasonable exceptions.

It should be fine to give/comment on information in OOC/LOOC if those receiving the information cannot receive the information without breaking OOC in IC, like a game bug or a character who was banned for griefing.
I've noticed that different player/admins have different reactions to this. Some player was complaining about how he was stuck for no good reason after climbing a table, some people complained despite it being a game issue and not a character issue. I pointed out that the admin-spawned car on extended driving around the hallways was running over people in other rooms and some people complained despite it being a game issue and not a character issue. Of course if that information contains vital IC information like "Hey the game lags when I fight clockwork cultists" should obviously not be said.

It should be fine to give/comment on information in OOC/LOOC if those receiving the information should already know the information.
I'll use surgery as an example. CMOs in-character should know how to perform surgery, however some new CMO players might not know how to perform surgery or /tg/station surgery. The same could be applied to all jobs where the player does not know how to do something while the character should know how to do that something. A lot of players I notice get called out when they ask for help like that and I don't think it's fair to new players.

There should be some leniency if the information given in OOC/LOOC wouldn't benefit/harm anyone.
For example someone was complaining that Bubblegum instagibbed them an hour ago due to the lowered tickrate in the current round. This is a little tricky as it now tells the players that bubblegum is now a one hit kill as opposed to the common knowledge of it being how many hit kills, but it is an unintended feature caused by the server and not the game. It also tells the players that someone has died, but that information is ultimately useless given how that person is now alive and bubblegum has been dealt with. A better example would be the blob saying "well I tried" in OOC when he failed to take over the escape shuttle while it was in flight. While it is discussing an in-character event, there is no useful information to be gained by reading "well I tried" when it is clear that the blob was defeated.

While I don't think people ever get banned from IC in OOC, its still something that people complain or admins warn about. I'm hoping to get a discussion on this.

Sylas

RE: IC in OOC rules suggestion

Post by Sylas »

I once got insane guff, when I first joined, when I commented about seeing a bunch of afk people in the arrivals shuttle.

This doesnt seem like it should matter, this sort of instance, considering arrivals shuttle people are no touchy

Raeschen

RE: IC in OOC rules suggestion

Post by Raeschen »

the general way out of this is if it's a bug or something's broken, ahelp to avoid ic in ooc. If you don't know what to do, click the wiki button.