ZeroNetAlpha

ZeroNetAlpha's Staff Application

Post by ZeroNetAlpha »

BYOND ckey:ZeroNetAlpha
Character name:Mic Kulkan, Tom Lytmon, Phoebe Coldsmith
Discord username (+user id): ZeroNetAlpha#3625
How long have you played on Citadel?:October 2017
How long have you played SS13?: April 2017
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: Kinda weird. I'm in US/Central Standard yet I work nightshifts. So I guess. Might as well live in Israel or Moscow with how friggin weird my time is.

Previous SS13 related admin experience: I know my way around the admin panel of the game, having used it during code testing more than once. Not much super formal for a ss13 server.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: Ho boy. Minecraft, G-Mod, man. There's a buncha shit that I could go through here. Worked up the ranks from a builder to a moderator to an admin of a couple minecraft rp servers. G-Mod i did a bit of work with a Halo-RP server. Lost the contacts I had on the G-mod shit but if you want me to put you in contact with the minecraft server owners, that's easily doable.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: I guess anyone who gives me a thumbs up here.
Reason for application:

Below you will be required to describe how you would handle a handful of scenarios that may or may not require admin intervention.
For every scenario, describe your personal opinion of the intentions of the player(s), whether you think you should intervene, and how you would initiate an intervention with the player(s) if you decide to.

There are technically no "correct" answers for this, but you will be judged on how you respond to these questions.

You observe two players having a fist-fight in the bar. Player 1 puts Player 2 into critical condition, and then Player 1 quickly leaves the bar to go heal them-self. Checking their attack logs, you find that neither of them had any interaction before they started fighting. Checking their say logs however, you discover that both of them got in a verbal confrontation that got very heated, and that Player 2 both initiated the confrontation and threw the first punch. How do you proceed?

Did the second player A-help about being beaten into crit? If they did, the contents of the ahelp might serve to determine if they're just trying to banbait someone else for shits and giggles. Does the second player have a history (Documented or not) of doing similar shit? In the end though, unless something goes terribly wrong that fight seems pretty valid. Hell, the rules even have something like that as an example of something that's okay to do.

You observe one player acting suspiciously and decide to watch them. While watching, you discover that they are a new player with less than a day of time on the server. You also discover that they haven't said anything for the entire round. Their contents include a full set of tools, and not much else. While watching they spend their time breaking into unsecure areas like the bar back room, hydroponics, the chapel office, EVA. How do you proceed?
Honestly, they might just be exploring our map, seeing what's the same on our station compared to others. If they're not hurting anyone, leaving shocked doors left and right, and keeping to themselves I'd probably just keep an eye on them for a bit longer. Might subtlemessage them something along the lines of "People aren't too fond of others letting themselves into their departments." but until they start actually breaking rules? They're cool to break space law in terms of breaking and entering.

You observe Player 1 who is a scientist building a combat mech. When they're finished, they allow Player 2 who is their friend and an assistant to come and take the combat mech out of the department. Later, Player 2 gets into a fight with security over the possession of the combat mech, and decides to try killing the security players but fails and is killed by security instead. How do you proceed?
First, there are a few questions or things I would look at.
0:Check notes. Antag panel. Are they antags working together? Are they known for metabuddying/metacomming?
1: Why did the roboticist make the mech in the first place? Gygax's, Durand's, and Phazon's fall under the "Taking as many weapons and powers as possible because "there might be an antagonist on the station and you want to be ready for them”" Example under powergaming. Outside of a confirmed threat to the station, there's little need for a combat mech.
2: Why did the roboticist give the assistant the mecha? Was there sufficient communication IC between the two when the mecha was given? (For the record, even a "Hey can I joyride in that for a bit" would be nice to see.) Yes? Okay, then that will fall under metabuddying. Not really okay but I digress. If there was no dialogue between the two I would definitely treat it more of a metacomming situatuion. Also on a side note, why was the mecha given WITH it's armaments intact?
3: How did security react to the threat. Did they shoot first? Did the mech? A reasonable time to be worried is when an assistant is running around in a kitted out combat mech but did security use an Ion rifle as an opening shot or did the mech open up with a LMG?
Honestly depending on the responses I get when I investigate via bwoink, I would likely add a note to the roboticist and the assistant for metabuddying, ban the assistant based on what the answers to the questions are, and job-ban the robotocist for a few rounds in the worst case scenario.

cebutris

RE: ZeroNetAlpha's Staff Application

Post by cebutris »

I haven't really seen you ingame but from what I can tell you're a good person from the discord conversations. Your answers aren't terribly detailed but they are to the point, and they follow a thought proccess that makes sense. I'd be willing to give you a shot. We'll see what others have to say.
Awoo

Trojan_Coyote

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

My only problem with your answers is to the third question. PERSONALLY, the max ban sentence you can think of on the roboticist is very lenient in my opinion, for what happened, and what could have been going on after a full investigation. Otherwise,solid answers, I'm up for giving you a shot.

ZeroNetAlpha

Post by ZeroNetAlpha »

Honestly I prefer to be light handed for offenses the first time and progressively become more heavy handed if my good faith is abused.

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

Hmmmmm.......

cebutris

Post by cebutris »

Thank you kevinz for the excellent feedback
Awoo

Ruby Flamewing

Post by Ruby Flamewing »

.......mmmmmH
I feel the answers are like the questions: open, loose but not too loose, and flexible. We've had worse answers, if nothing else. Heckin' nerd.

I got one - ONE - issue with this application, though.

The fuck you want to get into this hell for? You never mentioned the reason for putting in the application. =V
It is only waffer thin.

ZeroNetAlpha

Post by ZeroNetAlpha »

I'd say it was for a bet, but that'd be lying. Honestly? I think my pal Sheev Palpatine said it best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_DqV1xdf-Y
Jokes aside, this was kinda a "Let's see if I have what it takes." I'm on at odd, lowpop times and other assorted reasons that made me think I could be in a position to help.
Last edited by ZeroNetAlpha on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trojan_Coyote

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

I'm not gonna lie, your reason being what it is doesn't really inspire confidence.

areebur

Post by areebur »

you know i'll say that citadel is a waste of time, and that you shouldn't be stepping your foot in this shithole but good on you for trying to make this place a little better

he's a good boy and I like him, he's active in the community and is p good mod material
im going fuck kill mode