Moderator re-application: Auris456852

auris456852

Moderator re-application: Auris456852

Post by auris456852 »

BYOND ckey: Auris456852
Character name: Marshall Bash; Lux
Discord username (+user id): Shieldbearer#1675
Reason for application: Well, I've been around for quite some time now. Back when I first applied to be staff, I was told to give it a few more months. Then I applied again a long while later near the end of the app period, getting denied again. It is now nearing 2 years or so since the time I first joined Citadel, I still can no longer spare the time I used to have back then. The place doesn't feel as chaotic as it was in some times back in the past. However, if you are accepting applications, that means, you need some extra staff members. There are still some rare times no one is available, some people having a hard time here and there, among the staff and not. So, just like the other times, I'd like to try to lend a hand to the admins and players all the same, when I can.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

Generally, if things are getting heated, one should try to see if there is something they can do to resolve the conflict. That means first figuring out what the altercation is about. When that's done...

If one can end a proper argument by pointing out a fact about game mechanics, they likely should consider doing so. If it's not a proper argument and more just raw emotion and salt, as it often is... They should likely be told to take it elsewhere so they can figure out what to do to work out their differences, possibly with an admin arbitrating the exchange. Or to just break it up and take a time out, if it gets that bad and incoherent. Force them to take a break, if it comes to it.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

The typical answer would be to let another admin handle it, an impartial third party... As impartial as one can get among staff, anyway. And such would likely be best, if at all possible. Whether they can or are forced to either deal with it themselves or let it slide... What they should undoubtedly do, is try to keep a level head and view the situation objectively first - maybe see it from their point of view, then act. 

Also, common sense thing, but never tell misinformation to your fellow staff members when they come in to back you up. Lies from either side just complicate things. If you fucked up, man up and take it.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

The whole purpose of the rules, like in-game Space Law, is to keep order. It's rather easy to just apply a punishment that seems appropriate when someone breaks a rule or misbehaves - many low RP sec mains can attest to that. Writing a guideline that is set in stone is hard.

I might make some erroneous statements here still, since I can't think of anything new to add to these this time, either... Hence why this app is almost identical to my previous one. But bear with me here.

If some rule is broken, but it was done accidentally or it turns out for the better in the round (for instance, Ash Walkers boarding the station with a miner's help for some reason that does not involve murderboning everyone, which leads to some good roleplay), it'd actually be kind of frustrating to everyone involved, someone getting punished over fun things they may not have known were against the rules (because I have considered that not everyone will be able to memorize the rules to the last letter) and accidents. However, if someone keeps doing it frequently, some may complain about the blatant rule breaking and others may start trying to do the same, with varying results. So, a warning on the first offense. Otherwise, a change of rules or a punishment may be in order.

Aside from that... Metagaming, powergaming, unwanted ERP, so on, so forth. An admin should apply warnings and/or punishments depending on the severity of the offense and the number of times that same rule or other rules have been broken relatively recently. Sure, with all the time one may have to get to a point that they're infamous among admins, they have no excuse not to be familiar with the way things are and as such, should be judged strictly... But it's kind of hard to try to change, if you get permabanned for some slight thing because of all the offenses you've done a year ago. It's also not good if someone starts getting some sort of chronic rule-breaking syndrome.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

Where it would grant them some metaknowledge that could alter the flow of the game. I won't say it's impossible, but it can be difficult to separate IC and OOC knowledge sometimes. Someone might find themselves subconsciously trying to find reasons how they could ICly figure it out.

Also, consider it when they're starting to get salty about something that might be happening in the game. Strong emotions frequently lead to illogical decisions, which can cause quite the shitstorm after the fact.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

To be respectful to the players, approachable and not to abuse their powers, to put it simply. Oh, and let us not forget patience, you need a lot of it.

EDIT: Is this color better?
Last edited by auris456852 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nethaufer

RE: Moderator re-application: Auris456852

Post by Nethaufer »

Just about every experience I've had with you has been pleasant, both IC and the few time OOC. You're levelheaded and don't seem to let emotions get to you. You've got my +1

geemiesif

Post by geemiesif »

Ill give you a +1

madamheichou

Post by madamheichou »

I don't recall having many or any interactions with you but all of your responses are very nice! +1

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

Yeah ok. +1

CawingCrow

Post by CawingCrow »

Answers are alright, but your choice of colour gives me eye cancer. +1

auris456852

Post by auris456852 »

Hey, the color seems fine to me!
...But that might be because I use Discord Light theme and stare at the sun. Praise it, until it gets uncomfortably hot. Then fuck it.

CawingCrow

Post by CawingCrow »

> Discord Light theme
(((That's it. I will change the +1 to a minus. You done it, kiddo.)))

Soranayo

Post by Soranayo »

Haven't seen you in a while on main, but i doubt much has changed. I remember you as a good guy, you get my approval, +1.

Dem colors though, my eyes.

Useroth

Post by Useroth »

Solid player who's been around for a long long time now. +1