[R3dtaile] Admin Application

Redtail

[R3dtaile] Admin Application

Post by Redtail »

BYOND ckey: R3dtaile
Character name: Chase Redtail
Discord username (+user id): ~Redtail~#9463 (Chase Redtail)
How long have you played on Citadel?: 5-6 months
How long have you played SS13?: 5-6 months
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: Central US. [Weekdays: 9-11PM] [Weekends: 3-11PM] With some wiggle room all around depending on class-workload
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Meatstation 13 [A small server for some friends]
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: Discord servers, mostly.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Derkuleen, Geemiesif
Reason for application: I’ve contributed to Citadel before (Carpets and medals), and would like to be able to do more.

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
a. It depends on if the incident is occurring in the Discord, or in OOC chat in-game. For the former, it’d start with warning the two players to take it to DMs if the argument had gone on long enough. If the argument continued even after being told to stop (Or the altercation consisted of the two just harassing each other with nothing of substance being said), I’d institute a temporary chat ban on the two to prevent the argument from continuing. If the incident occurred in OOC chat in-game, it’d start with OOC muting the two (Which could be escalated into temporarily disabling OOC for everyone, if there’s a lot of people crying about IC OOC). I’d follow up the OOC mute by messaging the two and telling them to chill. Should they go right back to squabbling, a temporary game-ban would be the next option.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
a. An admin should focus on gathering as much information as possible before coming to a final decision. Otherwise, they can’t realistically make an informed, and fair, decision. If the situation is an in-game situation that the admin is also involved in, the admin should probably seek the thoughts of an admin who wasn’t directly involved in the situation. This is to avoid bias, and applies if they are friends with the parties involved in the situation requiring admin intervention. If asking another admin isn’t an available option, then an admin should be as focused on just being as objective as humanly possible. An admin should strive to remain calm and collected to remain as rational as can be.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
a. An admin should consider the context of the rule break, the offender’s past notes if they’re recent and relevant to the issue at hand, and whatever justification the offender comes up with to excuse themselves of guilt. An admin should also be distinctly self-aware of their own emotions and any potential bias they possess. Past history and behavior of the offending individual should be considered, and the severity of the infraction should be considered. After all, the goal is to be as fair as possible. Not every incident should be handled with a 30 day ban, and if someone has a history of being a trouble maker this might very well be the straw that breaks the camel’s back if they’ve not shown any evidence of learning from their past mistakes. Not incident can be handled the exact same way, and the context behind the incident should be an important factor in coming to a solution.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
a. An admin should de-admin themselves if they’re going to play an important role such as a head of staff or a major antag. It can be difficult to mentally filter out admin logs of folks dying, and various incidents spawning in, and even more difficult to not act on the pop-ups. However, I believe with practice and due diligence, an admin can properly play most roles without letting the extra-text they see as an admin affect their actions. That just requires the admin to practice disciplining themselves. On the other side, “better safe than sorry” also applies, and if an admin doesn’t believe they can properly filter out the information, they should stick to lower-ranking jobs. Plus, that makes it easier for them to dip out of the action to handle admin business.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
a. An admin exists to make the playerbase’s experience as great as possible. An admin should strive to be as fair and just in their handling of cases as possible. This even applies to when an admin decides to bus in various events to spice things up. Admins should be as careful as possible to keep players’ experiences a positive one. After all, Citadel is a community-driven server, and fair handling of ahelps and other incidents needing admin intervention leads to a better, healthier community with more trust between the admins and playerbase.

Additional Information
1. I know I’m lacking in mechanical knowledge, and am more than willing (wanting, even) to learn more to be a better player, and hopefully future admin.
2. For proof of initiative and ability to follow up: There was an incident recently with folks in the main discord discussing a recently banned minor. Said folks mentioned that they had seen the minor’s F-list. Through some investigating, I managed to track down their F-list and make sure that they were properly taken off of known adult communities.
3. If I am given further consideration as a potential admin, I would like to be given trial scenarios to be tested on how I would handle specific incidents, whether here on forums or via Discord.

derkuleen

Re: [R3dtaile] Admin Application

Post by derkuleen »

As above, Yes full support from me. I've gotten to know Chase pretty well and I can say they're level headed, dedicated, and have an excellent sense of humor. They will mesh well with the current admin team and I believe they will be able to contribute quite a lot back to the citadel community. Their account was first connected 2018-10-14 (about 240 hours to date as of this reply) and they have NO notes. That’s the type of outstanding behavior id look for in some one wanting to become part of the admin team. They have well rounded game knowledge and certainly room to improve on that and I trust they will be able to learn the admin tools quickly given the support any fledgling admin should receive.
full +1 hope to see you soon.

Soranayo

Post by Soranayo »

Chase's an active player with a warm personality that proved times and times again that they were a good candidate for the moderator/admin role and i would like to see you in such a position, Derkuleen already pointed out your lack of notes. Most if not all of my personal interactions with you have been positive be it on discord or in game, and your answers are on point. Also i'd like to point out that i think you're downplaying yourself mechanically-wise, i do think you're a good player. I give them my full support.

Drewfus

Post by Drewfus »

Even though I'm only a player rep, gushing about how much I adore this precious panda would be the best thing. I've known Chase for the entire time they've been on the server; they have always had goodhearted intentions both in-game and on discord. Chase is a great fit for staff in my mind, they have a knack for handling responsibility and without a doubt would communicate with players calm and professionally. Very good wah!

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

yeah this is a good person I'm pretty sure I've asked them to apply before but I might be wrong so whatever.
They're one of the people who makes main good.
+1

Nethaufer

Post by Nethaufer »

Just from the few interactions I've had with you, I think you're a great person and are the sort of person who would do well in a staff position.
Furthermore, your responses are quite well thought out and you clearly put some effort into them. I don't think there's a thing I disagree about what you've said.
You've got a +1 from me

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Moving this to Accepted.