[Soulstolen] Administion Application

Soulstolen

[Soulstolen] Administion Application

Post by Soulstolen »

BYOND ckey: Soulstolen
Character name: Urinsu Miiruz, Ash Halbrader.
Discord username (+user id): SecretlySomeLizard#4448
How long have you played on Citadel?: About eight months give or take.
How long have you played SS13?: For over a year
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: UTC-6, Central Standard Time, Chicago Time. I am on whenever I'm not at work and I'm not busy, so there's no specific time I am on or not on.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Don't have any admin experience for SS13
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: Minecraft server moderator, g-mod head head admin, used to moderate on a few chat sites too but nothing much.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Kevinz supported me back a few months ago, and Nicc supports me now too.
Reason for application: I love the server, I love the people, even when they argue over sound emotes and discord fluff roles. A few people have said I'd make a good admin and I always wanted to try and give more to this community, no matter how small or large the amount. I've met some of my best friends from Citadel, even my significant other, and the reason it was all possible was because of the staff and overall community that had such a close bond all together. Coming home and playing a game with people I know and trust is what I want others to feel, I would love to provide that best I can. A friend in particular I helped from the day they joined the server in their character creation and IC'ly showing them around. They stuck around and they are liked and they are having fun, and that's what I want to see more of, just the little things. Keeping in the good and working out the kinks.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

If its flooding OOC chat in game, it's best to mute it and work from there, getting both sides of the story, checking logs, or even finding a way to settle it ICly if possible. It depends on the situation at hand, the altercation could be over nothing and minor, or something pretty messed up. The best course of action is never to assume or take sides, and only go off facts, not opinion.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

Be a player, you need to not see yourself as an admin if you are directly, or even indirectly involved in something. In the case of a mass murderer being an obvious troll, that may be different; However, even as an admin, you should ahelp if something happened to you that is against the rules.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

That depends heavily on what they did, but one really should always get a second hearing from another member of staff if available as being the sole decider can cause altercations in itself. If they are cooperative, apologetic, understanding, and they aren't hissing and screeching, and they have never done something like this in the past, then maybe you shouldn't ban them for being new and accidentally amputating a guys head off during surgery.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

For sure any time you are an antag or a head of staff, or security, depending in the importance of your role, such as a pathfinder or SAR who is busy dealing with other players and keeping their game going, maybe you should then too. You should always de-admin when you are apart of a situation that requires admin intervention. Admins should be ready to respond, meaning not taking important roles or planning on doing some long ERP with someone.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

An understanding of the players and the game so you can assist people and solve issues in the right way. Some people take words differently than others and you can't always give the same speech in the same tone to every person. Being friendly and kind to those around you, not trying to prove a point and talk over people. A citadel admin should be here to make both parties happy and come to an understanding if possible, the best case scenario is always the one that ends in forgiveness and resolve. Calling someone out as an admin or even implying they are in any way dumb for not following the rules is something that shouldn't be done. You have to stand by the rules and do your best to make sure everyone is enjoying their time and having fun. Keeping the community a safe place is key.

Nik707

Re: [Soulstolen] Administion Application

Post by Nik707 »

yes

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Heya Urinsu, despite our history, I never held any bad blood for you, as a matter of fact, my opinion of you has shifted towards a more positive one. You probably weren't expecting this, but, I fully and openly support your application to be a staff member. You clearly aren't the person I'd made you out to be in my mind when we had both first came to Citadel, and, for that you have my apologies. You're a down to earth person, with a good moral compass; underneath that scaly hide: you're compassionate, goal focused, determined and willing to work with others to achieve what must be done. I like that about you, and, those qualities are exactly what I'd like to see in our staff team. That's why you have my full support.

Edit: Do have one issue with your application though, that being your answer to question 4.
For sure any time you are an antag or a head of staff, or security, depending in the importance of your role, such as a pathfinder or SAR who is busy dealing with other players and keeping their game going, maybe you should then too. You should always de-admin when you are apart of a situation that requires admin intervention. Admins should be ready to respond, meaning not taking important roles or planning on doing some long ERP with someone.
De-adminning isn't necessary for anything past here, "For sure any time you are an antag or a head of staff, or security."
When it comes to administrating, the only times you'd really need to de-admin is when playing as an antag, head of staff or security. Any other time and you'd most likely be hindering your ability to fix ongoing issues with the round (especially if you're the only stafferino on, in some such event, you wouldn't de-admin.) The part about de-adminning when you are a part of a situation that requires admin intervention is just... no. The correct course of action is to get a third party Admin, obviously, and have them look over the situation, come to a conclusion, resolve the situation; your job during that time is to assist with providing crucial information as unbiased as possible, mayhaps even go log-diving midround to get to the bottom of the scenario. Point is, gimping yourself when say, someone welder bombs 4no raisin and then you go and de-admin yourself? It doesn't make much sense to me. However, holding off on pressing for any punishment, and, holding off on pressing any of your fancy admin buttons is a definite yes in that situation.

And, you'd never believe me, but, Admins are the most productive when they're ERPing :p
You type out your half of the role play, then you get a solid five to ten minutes to deal with tickets, a-ghost around and check the status of the round, bwoink some nerds who're about to welder bomb, etc.

Double Edit: Oh yeah, and, on RP? You never want to de-admin yourself. The only way to re-admin is by having a fellow staff member do it for you. VORE code sucks. That, and, there are no antags, so, playing Head of Staff while adminning is basically no big deal at all. Then you have the fact that if there are antags, they're Admin curated, so you want to stay adminned to make sure they're not going off and griefing/abusing the little bit of power they have.

Soulstolen

Post by Soulstolen »

In response to Avarice:
Thank you for your support, you are good cat and I've never had any bad blood towards you. I'm glad to hear such a postive and thoughtful response!

First off, for the issue you had about my number 4 there, I appreciate the information, obviously I've never done admin work on SS13 so I wasn't entirely sure on when to or not to, other than obviously being an antag or head of staff (Except to never do it on RP). However how I meant to phrase it was not necessarily to revoke your own powers, but to not be the sort of "Point of contact" per se. I'm sure as an SaR Kevinz answers ahelps all the time, however when he is in a situation that requires him to be there in game so other people can enjoy their game, it may be wise to hand off certain things to other admins if available. That was more or less what my intentions we're on that, my wording was just a bit shoddy. Also, I suppose during an ERP wouldn't be a bad time to admin around when you put it that way. Too bad I am a abstinence lizard :c

Oh and, thanks Nic, truly beautiful word.

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Awesome sauce. You'll learn on the job when to de-admin, and, when not to. :shrug:

I wasn't too worried.

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

+1 great guy, level headed.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

Friendly, level headed, nice player. +1 from me without a doubt.