[slatemean] Admin Application

slate

[slatemean] Admin Application

Post by slate »

BYOND ckey: I<3Vore
Character name: Scarlett Argentry
Discord username (+user id): slate#3061
How long have you played on Citadel?: 1-2 years.
How long have you played SS13?: 2-3 years.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: 2PM - 12PM~ EST
Previous SS13 related admin experience: None.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: Nothing notable.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: nicc
Reason for application: After being back from a bit of a recent hiatus, I’ve been getting more involved in the server and community. I want to help make it better through putting in time as an admin. Especially, there are sometimes late at night where not many admins are not present, and I think it would be beneficial to fill the gap. Additionally, I was egged on to make a staff app.

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
In OOC, said players would be told to disengage if the argument was getting too out of hand. If they didn’t stop, or more players were getting in on the argument, it may be a good idea to mute OOC for the time being. Gentle warnings are usually enough for this, but if it were to get out of hand an OOC mute may be a good idea. In discord, this would be much the same. Players would be warned to stop or take it to DMs. Usually this is enough from what I’ve seen, but mutes may be needed to be handed out if somebody is being particularly disruptive. Resolving the situation in a peaceful manner should always be the top priority.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
Admins should never moderate situations that they themselves are involved in. The appropriate action here would be to alert another admin to take over the situation and intervene. No matter how perfect somebody is, they’re always going to have a bias towards themselves, something that should be wholly avoided when it comes to adminship.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
Often times, a warning and a note would seem to be enough. Of course, this depends on the severity of the rule broken. If there’s something in the books that specify exactly how someone should be punished, then it should be followed. Unfortunately, this is a rare, if not non-happening occurrence. SS13 is a game with thousands and thousands of possibilities, and as a result, there are thousands and thousands of ways rules can be broken, each with their own context. Admins should always put themselves into the shoes of the player, and ask themselves if what the offending player did was reasonable given the situation they were put in. Previous notes/offenses should be accounted for, as this means a player is much more likely to repeat the same mistakes and break the same rules in the future. How players respond to admins in admin PMs is also a factor - while it is understandable that a player may be upset or angry with things not going their way in a round, or because they were contacted by an admin, the way a player communicates with an admin can provide insights into whether someone is really sincere in their promises, and if they will break the same rules again. In the end, players should be treated like humans, and dishing out an overly long ban or similarly harsh punishment will create a hateful atmosphere, and the point of the punishment will be missed.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
Any time an admin expects to have a considerable role in the current round, they should de-admin themselves. This can range from being a head, being an antagonist, or being any other role that can benefit from an increased amount of information relating to the round. Even as an assistant, if the admin plans to help fight against something like a cult or changeling, they should be de-admined as to keep a fair environment for all players. Keeping admin on while filling these important roles will only breed mistrust between the admin and player base - and an admin that does such things, and uses the information they gain to their advantage, shouldn’t be an admin at all. On the contrary, while playing roles of low-importance, an admin should definitely keep admin status on. This will allow them to better assist players, and will result in a smoother, more fun round for everyone.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
Admins should set a good example for the rest of the community. They should be expected to be fair with their judgement, putting their opinions to the side - nothing is worse than an admin who lets personal relations take priority over their real job. Of all people, admins should be approachable and understanding - especially with newer players, who they should do their best to help learn the game. In the end, admins should be there to make the server an enjoyable, drama-free environment. Some admins may do this by running events, but in my opinion it’s enough to be proficient in moderating the server in a fair and just way. As leaders of the community, administrators should be someone players are comfortable to be around and aren't hesitant to approach with any of their issues, both through their attitudes and keeping a trustworthy public face.
Last edited by slate on Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinz000

Re: [slatemean] Admin Application

Post by kevinz000 »

>not putting me on the list of supporters
:'(

yeah they're alright have my +1, my philosophy here is the rare security players who aren't garbage would be good as staff.

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

yes, soon

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

I can back this one. Answers seem good, player goes a little heavy on the memes occasionally, but they're overall good. +1 from me.

gypsyShark

Post by gypsyShark »

The real question is, would you be able to handle seeing me in achat all the time and not be traumatized by vore snakes?
In all honesty I think you're pretty good. Nothing bad sticks out to me and you play a fair bit from what i've seen. I think you'd do well.
+1

Fractious

Post by Fractious »

Hihi Scarlett, sorry took me a while to respond to this, irl got me busy lately.

I really think you'd be 100% a great addition to the team. You've been around for quite a while and are actually super active. You've got quite a nice personality to have around too and can come up with clear minded decisions, as you've shown both in game and out of character. I'm even down to give you a formation if you get accepted.

TL;DR : +1 them already, they've been waiting for long enough lmao. Vet player who's super trustworthy.

Have a nice one,
Fractious
Just try your best, and worse case scenario you will fail and learn.

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Literally who?

Sorry, I'm a lame RPmin who hasn't hopped on Main in ages. It seems though that everyone just has good things to say about you, which is definitely comforting. I'm willing to support this application so wholeheartedly because of the aforementioned positive reputation you have, but, also the eloquence in your answers to the questions. There is naught more than a reasonable shadow of a doubt in my mind that you are what we want and need in our staff team.

Trojan_Coyote

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

I like your answers, but due to recent irl obligations I haven't played in a few months and you never were noticed by me in the year and a half on citadel before then. Which could be good or bad, tbh. Your answers are good, hit the points we like to see while not being cookie cutter. I think you might make a decent trialmin and hopefully fullmin after that.