[AnalWerewolf] Admin Application

AnalWerewolf

[AnalWerewolf] Admin Application

Post by AnalWerewolf »

BYOND ckey: AnalWerewolf
Character name: Fritz Kruger
Discord username (+user id): Anal Werewolf#4010
How long have you played on Citadel?: About five months now. I joined on December 12th, 2018.
How long have you played SS13?: Going back about one and a half almost two years now? I first started playing on TG.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: GMT +10, often getting on at about 8pm local time, deep into 'lowpop' hours.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: None, aside from messing around in test servers and codediving. I do know a bit about how to manage a server using the verbs available. I'd be eager learn how to do some of the advanced stuff, like var editing, using build mode, messing with shuttles, all of that.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: I've been an admin on a few minecraft servers many, many years ago, though most notably I have been a Moderator for the Rimworld Discord server for over two and a half years now, and while I am rarely active there anymore I do still pop in to discuss rulings and discord policy with other admins from time to time.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Kevinz, Chase Redtail.

Reason for application: I've been a part of the Citadel community for quite some time now and have gotten along well with the admins and players across the RP and Main servers, I really enjoy the community here and would like to contribute in my own way. I've thought about getting into mapping and coding but I didn't really have the time to learn either while still playing and dealing with real life responsibilities. I've joked around a few times over discord and in game that I should apply as an Admin so that I could contribute to the community and play semi-seriously, and to my surprise it's been met with support. I've been putting off this application off for quite a while now, but after a recent conversation over discord about the topic I thought, hey, why not?

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
I would advise them to take the altercation elsewhere and, depending on the context, be it an in game altercation, I'd warn them to take it elsewhere and remind them that it is just a game before following up with an OOC/discord mute if need be. However, if the altercation in question isn't to do with the game, I would warn them to take it to DMs and mute if necessary, though if the case is more severe, say for example, targeted harassment of a player, a kick or ban would be more appropriate.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
If an admin is involved in a situation requiring admin intervention, the admin involved should not be the one handling said situation in the interest of fairness, though information should be gathered and supplied by the admin involved to assist with dealing with the issue. Admins should stay as unbiased and objective as possible, this cannot realistically be achieved or proven if the admin that handled the situation was themselves involved. However it may be necessary that one day an admin may have to attempt to resolve an issue they were involved with, should this occur, the admin should look at the situation from an outside view and try their very best to remain unbiased.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
By referring to the rules, understanding the context behind the infringement, be it through notes, asking players who witnessed the incident, observing, or otherwise, and by guaging the involved parties reactions, such as whether the rule breaker feels apologetic or unsympathetic, and how badly the victim or players are affected by the former's actions. Failing a confident and informed decision, an admin should seek the aid and advice of another admin who may be better able to assist with the issue should time permit.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
When there are other admins online capable of handling the volume of players, who will very likely be around to handle any issues that come up during your time playing, it would be best to de-admin oneself to prevent risks of accidental meta-communications and to prevent yourself being log spammed. Should no other capable admins be online at the time you wish to play, you may do so, so long as you will still be capable of handling any ahelps that come through, (so no playing head roles or antags.) though at that point it'd honestly be far easier to just observe, I find it quite fun and relaxing.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
It is expected that administrators be fair and objective in their judgements, be willing to help and assist, not to exploit their positions, their access to logs, or administrative capabilities. An admin should strive to be a beneficial impact on the gaming experience for the community, whether that be through measured restraint, or just the right amount of spice to liven up the game and make it that much more interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part of the reason for the application is to renew my interest in the game, playing, while it is fun for me is unfortunately not something I can actively participate in, as I rarely have the time to sink two to five hours into a full length game, however! What I really do enjoy is observing rounds, it's something I can do without needing to dedicate time I unfortunately no longer have, and it allows me to assist and give back to the community by responding to and helping players as a mentor. The main reason for this application is that I want to be able to do more with that time spent observing rounds than just answering the, unfortunately rare, mhelps. As an admin I want to put that time and interest to better use, through actively improving the game for others, and to be there in the lowpop hours when everyone else on the team may be busy or asleep.

Zellular

Re: [AnalWerewolf] Admin Application

Post by Zellular »

Righto!
Your answers were on point in my opinion. It’s admirable that you want to help moderate the server due to lacking the time for full rounds. I think you’re worth a trial at the very least.
+🦈

buffalowing

Post by buffalowing »

I think your answers the application questions are great, and I also regularly see you online without incident. However, I am unable to support your application due simply to your ckey being 'anal werewolf'. Again, I think you're great, but it's the ckey. -1

gypsyShark

Post by gypsyShark »

Hey Analwerewolf, thanks for applying!
I think you are a pretty good fit for citadel as far as staff goes, though I admit slight concerns about the nature of you answering ahelps. Are you able to give admins a heads-up if you are handling a ticket and have to suddenly leave? Also, there will be times where investigations will take up a good deal of time, especially while you're learning the ropes.
Other than that, from my experiences I think you'd be worth having as a trial min and see how it works out for us.
+1

AnalWerewolf

Post by AnalWerewolf »

buffalowing wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:38 pm
I think your answers the application questions are great, and I also regularly see you online without incident. However, I am unable to support your application due simply to your ckey being 'anal werewolf'. Again, I think you're great, but it's the ckey. -1
No worries, I can see how some could see the ckey as crude, I originally created the username I now go by as a bit of crude humor and some wordplay. Contrary to popular belief, the name can be interpreted as meaning an anal retentive werewolf where 'anal' implies an obsessive level of attention to detail. You can find more information about the term here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentiveness

Thank you for your feedback! I hope the username won't too heavily affect my application, I've grown a bit attached to it since I've started using it. Besides that, the Citadel Community is an adult community, I'm sure that the name is fitting given the content regularly encountered.

AnalWerewolf

Post by AnalWerewolf »

gypsyShark wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:49 pm
Hey Analwerewolf, thanks for applying!
I think you are a pretty good fit for citadel as far as staff goes, though I admit slight concerns about the nature of you answering ahelps. Are you able to give admins a heads-up if you are handling a ticket and have to suddenly leave? Also, there will be times where investigations will take up a good deal of time, especially while you're learning the ropes.
Other than that, from my experiences I think you'd be worth having as a trial min and see how it works out for us.
+1
Hey, thanks for the feedback!

I do believe I will have ample time to provide a heads-up to admins if I am handling a ticket and suddenly need to leave, my issue with time is not so much that I am interrupted, more that as of late I have been very busy and haven't had the time to commit to full game rounds where my attention cannot be split.

I understand too that investigations can take up quite a bit of time, depending on the length of one I very well may need to leave and request another admin look into it while I am gone, though that being said I should have ample time in advance to do so.

Thanks again.

MrJWhit

Post by MrJWhit »

When you played on Main, you were a great player, a great security officer, and whenever I talked to you in discord over voice chat or text you were helpful and seemed to enjoy the game and wanted to make citadel better. I was mostly worried because I only really play on Main, so I have no idea how often you were on RP when you moved, but those concerns were mitigated. Plus with the people who support you, I'm willing to give this a +1.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

My interactions with you, both in server and on Discord have been very good overall. I fully believe you would be a good choice for an admin position. +1 from me.