[Drewfus] Admin Application

Drewfus

[Drewfus] Admin Application

Post by Drewfus »

BYOND ckey: drewfus
Character name: Drew Mint, Amber Reena
Discord username (+user id): Drewfus#4297
How long have you played on Citadel?: 1½ years, since May of 2018.
How long have you played SS13?: Two years.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: CST -0600, 8:00 AM - 12 PM most weekdays.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Fluent in Citadel admin expectations from six months as player representative. (Since Feb. 2019)
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: An Arma 3 milsim group.
Reason for application: Giving back to this community is the best thing!
Citadel has been such a positive part of my life, I’m motivated to help create an equally positive experience for others. After pouring an immense amount of time into both main and RP servers (800-ish hours), suffice to say, I’ve gained sufficient experience both from a player and game master perspective, enough that I’d feel confident in my abilities to meet the expectations of an admin. My personality is naturally cool-headed and collected, but don’t fret - I’m prepared to bring the hammer down and make decisions which enforce rules with consistency.
Admins on Citadel are leaders of the community, a position which my skills and demeanor are well suited for, in my experience!

Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Kevinz000, MrJWhit, ~Redtail~, Vincent Airin, DigitalSquirrel, Avarice
drewmin.png
drewmin.png (221.45 KiB) Viewed 5616 times

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

Similarly to how I’ve resolved player conflict in the past, with the key difference of having final say.

Here’s a recent example from a week ago:
player altercation 1.jpg
player altercation 1.jpg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 5616 times

And here’s an example from four months ago:
player altercation 2.png
player altercation 2.png (23.22 KiB) Viewed 5616 times

An admin dealing with two players having an OOC issue is expected to reply in a professional, impartial, and practical way. Admins also have the final decision about ending or compromising with an issue; if an admin says drop it, drop it. In both of these cases, as player rep, my role was devil’s advocate, and had to defer the decision to an admin. With responsibility of adminship, I would work with players not as a mediator, but as a true staff member, making decisions which fit the expectations of admins, solves issues, and ultimately helps make Citadel better.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

Context and intention are key! Observe the situation for long enough until you have a substantial reason for intervening. For example, in the case of a potential problem player, determine what the player intends to do, what they have done in the past, and any circumstantial evidence that may lead an admin to the conclusion that intervention is necessary - typically in the form of an admin PM (bwoink). There are an uncountable set of circumstances not listed explicitly by the rules which may require an admin to step in. However, if the admin is directly involved in a situation, they are expected to ask for assistance from another admin, as resolving tickets which include yourself is bad form, and may seem disingenuous.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

A: Gather as much context as possible - who, what, when?
B: Assess determining factors, such as intentions, relevant past history, and rule-break severity.
C: Determine severity of punishment and length if applicable.

Admins are expected to approach punishments calm and fairly, being surgically precise in their investigation, confrontation, and verdict. Caveats include increasing punishment severity for extenuating circumstances such as what rules were broken, note history, or reply attitude. Individual server elements can be barred, such as head/job roles, OOC, pray, emote, etc. Punishments related to these are either only pertinent for offenses using that server element, or can be mirrored from other bans, for example someone getting an OOC mute for spamming, or a simultaneous headban and tempban for over-escalation while head of staff. In short, offenses, minor or extreme, are given equally light or harsh punishments - which worsen based on context such as repeat offenses or toeing-the-line. No two cases are alike, always get a second opinion.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

Admins are typically expected to de-admin as head of staff, antagonist, or any similar position where the all-seeing eye of admin logs is inappropriate. Metagaming rules still apply despite any meta-knowledge you might inadvertently gain, which means being admin’d fundamentally changes how they behave, being in two frames of mind, constantly asking, “what would my character know?” to avoid acting on meta info from the in-game logs. Sometimes, being admin’d also inadvertently restricts you from doing certain things, to avoid appearing to use admin log meta info. Admins willingly deadmin, typically during rounds where their presence isn’t urgent like green shifts, to circumvent gaining metainfo and act as a normal player without the double-mindedness. Avoiding metagaming is also true for why admins deadmin as heads or antags; it’s a lot easier to focus on your in-character role when not under the stress of managing out-of-character knowledge!

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
Admins are not solely game masters, they are leaders in the community - being an exemplar of positive behavior, providing fair authority, and having a vested interest in the bigger picture of Citadel with the goal of enhancing player experiences. Admins are expected to be polite and professional, to think hard before acting, and to handle problems appropriately.
Last edited by Drewfus on Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nethaufer

Re: [Drewfus] Admin Application

Post by Nethaufer »

Holy hell this is a quality app. +1

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

I'd be doing the community a disservice if I were to say no. Just don't let your feelings get hurt by stupid players playing stupid games. It took a monumental shift of will to set aside my emotions and work with people who wanted to use me cause of my position of power. Some of the more bloodthirsty players will try and play on your heartstrings. No matter how tired you may be, check the logs. The logs don't lie. While the picture they paint may be blurry at times, it's not tinted with whatever falsehoods someone may try to spread.

https://gyazo.com/adad993eb86105521df3fa090f20be0d

Also, you might as well edit your application post and add me to one of the people who're supporting it. You asked me when I was snoozing; I'll support you, feline.

SectoidDan

Post by SectoidDan »

+1 but only if you stop saying gosh

MrJWhit

Post by MrJWhit »

I said I would give a +1, and I'm a man of my word, so I'm giving that +1.
If you say "gosh" in a ticket though, I'm bapping you.

I should explain more so it doesn't feel like favoritism.
Drew is hardworking, caring, thoughtful, and understands the playerbase like no tomorrow.

Trojan_Coyote

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

Your answers are pretty good, I won't lie, and you seem to have good rapport with the playerbase. My only problem is your behavior as of late in some ways seems to sometimes leave a bad taste in my mouth when you're discussing punishments or otherwise poking staff. Not sure if you have the thick skin to deal with some of the playerbase either. Tentative neutral on this.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

Speedmerge nerd kitty please. +1

deathride58

Post by deathride58 »

I can't believe I never gave you my stamp of approval. Here's my +1 of approval. You're not the first one I've supported that looks like a softie on the surface, but after your work as player rep, I've gained the confidence that you'll be able to do more than fine in a full staff position. You're one of those stands-out-as-staff-material folks, but the only thing that stopped me from telling you to make an admin app months ago was that I thought you were too soft for the tasks it involves. Even though you didn't do a whole lot as player rep, what you did do ended up painting a pretty good picture.

tl;dr: drew man good, +1

LittleRiolu

Post by LittleRiolu »

Drew, get on the team already so you can give me pats in admin chat.

On a more serious note, I think you have what it takes to be an admin. While I think your attitude is soft (kinda like me), I'm pretty sure a trial can show how stern you can be when it comes to dealing with other people. Just don't let them drag you down or affect your judgment and you should be fine. You have my full support.

Redtail

Post by Redtail »

Your heart's in the right place. But, I've noticed you have a habbit, at least from my personal experience, of butting into situations without necessary information. You mentioned earlier today that 'this is what happens when I try to be assertive' . There's a difference in being assertive and making a butt of yourself. You mean well, and I still endorse you, but you need to not jump to assumptions so quickly.