[Putnam] - Admin Application

Putnam

[Putnam] - Admin Application

Post by Putnam »

BYOND ckey: Putnam
Character name: Haley Reade, Amaryllis, Jamie Reade, IO, GANYMEDE
Discord username (+user id): Putnam#0852
How long have you played on Citadel?: 8 months, of which 4 have been active
How long have you played SS13?: Two years, four months.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: PST, completely random. Right now I get up at 7 AM and sleep at 10 PM, but more often I'm on a 4 AM sleep to 2 PM wake schedule, or thereabouts.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Approx. 4 months as a head admin/head coder on a smaller semi-public niche server.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: None.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Dapnee, Redtail.
Reason for application: I've been asked if I wanted to be an admin and the more I thought about it, the more I think it might be a good idea. Staff is wanted, and I butt myself into conversations in attempt to mediate regularly anyway, and people seem to actually respond to that positively rather often. Plus, far too often am I observing a game because... I enjoy observing, and no other admin is online due to my sleep schedule. I have access to every ahelp due to the maintainer role but just sort of have to watch.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

Tell them to step away for a bit, then personally talk to each of them, independent of the other, in an attempt to see what the end goal of the altercation is for each of them. In general, people are highly receptive to personal attention and redressing of grievances, so I prefer to go that avenue when possible. The single most important thing here is the "cool down" bit; if they don't step away after asked, temporary bans are in order. If this is a repeat occurrence, then further shape-up-or-ship-out style action may be required.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

Deadmin if admined. If someone else ahelped, depending on the situation, it may be prudent to inform them that you're getting someone else to handle it. Otherwise, ahelp yourself and, in general, conduct yourself as if you were an ordinary player. Admins being treated differently in-character is not good.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

Consistency and consideration. Anchor yourself to previous punishments for similar situations, then take context into account; anchoring is usually bad, but wildly differing punishments for the same situation will inevitably lead to unhappiness. Of course, doing the exact same thing every time will likely lead to gaming the rules, thus taking context into account. However, even context should be consistent; check how previous repeat offenders were handled if they're a repeat offender for a single rule, for example.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

Any role that one would ahelp before cryoing or any role that interacts with antag play in any major regard. Heads of staff, security in general, antagonists especially. If there are no other admins online at all, an admin should not play a role that might obligate them to deadmin; in fact, I would recommend always simply observing in those circumstances. This is probably an extreme position, really, and I don't particularly expect people to live up to it, but I tend to think that way.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

A sort of preference utilitarianism focused on cultivating the sort of gameplay experience implied by both "MRP 18+ server with a mix of roleplay and action" and by the rules themselves; in other words, an admin on Citadel should make sure that people are having fun playing in a particularly Citadel way. They should communicate openly and liberally, especially between each other but also with the playerbase. No action can be taken without sufficient information. In other words: admin should know how to use the tools available to them to improve the quality of gameplay and minimize unhappiness. Minimax and should have the social wherewithal to address grievances.

Tupina

Re: [Putnam] - Admin Application

Post by Tupina »

I'm clearly not an admin, but I will say I respect Putnam as a maintainer a lot, and they seem to have a really good grasp at least from the code side, on what an MRP server should be. I've seen them be helpful with the code of other developer's and they are overall pretty chill. I think they have the right mindset and good goals for the server and I'd love to see them as an admin.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

Good sense of the rules and a very good sense of how to handle other players. Has my support without a doubt

Dapnee

Post by Dapnee »

Has my name right there and reaffirming. Putnam was one of the people that got me into SS13, and I have seen her administrate on 413 a few times, each were pleasant with adequate communication that made dealing with tickets easier. Just make sure you don’t give yourself Kevin-syndrome. +1

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

+1

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Putnam-girl-good. I don't always agree with them, but that doesn't mean I don't understand their point of view and the argument they're putting forth in regards to specific administrative scenarios. Aside from that, if they're willing to shoulder extra work, then I'm more than happy to support Putnam becoming an admeme-tainer.

MrJWhit

Post by MrJWhit »

Absolutely speedmerge putnam, they have a good heart and can articulate their thoughts incredibly well, plus having previous admin experience means yes bring her in.

Fractious

Post by Fractious »

Sup' Putnam,

Glad you applied for min, considering your overall behavior as Maintainer I can clearly tell that you'd be a great addition to the team.

Speedminning this app.

Have fun.
Fractious
Just try your best, and worse case scenario you will fail and learn.