[HarliChan] - Adminstrator Application [RP]

HarliChan

[HarliChan] - Adminstrator Application [RP]

Post by HarliChan »

BYOND ckey: Harlichan
Character name: Kodiak Jackson/CAIA/SANSA

Discord username (+user id): Vance#7649
How long have you played on Citadel?: I've played off and on with a couple of my Ckey's for a while, I've been skulking about off and on since 12/01/2017 (initial discord join message for verification https://gyazo.com/67c923eaf41792019978719271f384e7) But I've been on as a daily regular for about two weeks now and the foreseeable future says I will be staying, probably permanently considering the state of my return is that- I'm forever-injured and am all but barred from working anymore so I have all the time in the world to game now and am doing so!

How long have you played SS13?: I've been around since 2008, so twelve years. The Earliest thing I can pull off the top of my head is NOX station, but I know it's been longer than that, Well before The birth of Hypatia from their split and yadda yadda.

What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: PST and I am usually active anywhere from 4 pm till 10 am the following day. I sleep for about 4-6 hours in the early morning to afternoon (graveyard shift habits)
Previous SS13 related admin experience: I have on multiple occasions hosted private space station 13 servers using V.O.R.E code for my Furry Community server of 133 people and counting. I'm the only one that was able to work staff for a server that had a fluctuating pop of 15 - 35 people which is right around where the RP server is sitting now.

Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: I was a floor manager for my local Fred-Meyer warehouse and helped delegate tasks, ensure everything was reported and handled properly, ensured worker safety and sanitation procedures were kept, There were one of us per Twenty-Five guys, so I managed a crew of Twenty five directly.

Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: N/A

Reason for application: Because it is needed, and I love this community and want to help. For Example on Sunday, April 5th, 2020 roughly between the hours of 12 am and 6 am, there were several rounds which clocked between 20-35 players where things started to get crazy and not a single admin I contacted was reachable, multiple people had put out help tickets, I had opened three for a variety of reasons including repeated IC in OOC by a particular player but there was nobody who could help us at all and one thing led to another as things slowly devolved...thankfully it didn't get too bad but it did ruin some peoples gameplay and a couple of folks actually left because of it. It was kind of one of those "then and there" situations but there was nobody to be "then and there" for us, I've been here for a while off and on and I love this place and now that I am a regular I see a need and I am compelled to fulfill it out of love and respect for this community. Also two of the RP staff I contacted legitimately just kinda- told me to go find someone else because they couldn't help me. So, it's needed because the list of staff that appears on the discord there is functionally a lot smaller. I took screencaps of all of the stuff and would be happy to provide them to staff if requested so that I have proof of all this too. Also on average (from my personal observations) nobody seems to be on at all during the late time periods. except I've seen Zelda- and one or two of the other RPmins come around occasionally towards the wee hours of the morning (PST) and the Very Late Evening (PST) but this leaves a massive central gap in time where there is now- higher pop and No staff present that could be filled adequately between myself and Enzo's time slots if they were accepted as well.

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

Honestly, I'd just talk to the people and ask them to stop with things on such a public medium. If it wasn't apparent at what caused things in the get-go or exactly what the fight was about I would go to each of the folks involved and start asking questions, after all the more informed one is, the easier one can reach an answer. If things were really serious I'd probably send the two off to take a few deep breaths, you know, chill out a bit and recollect themselves before coming back.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

I would think an admin would assess the situation first of all and then gather information, after all, each situation is unique and sometimes things may not be what they seem at first glance, best to air on the side of caution and avoid anything messy when it can be permitted. After that I would take what I know and what I feel about the situation to the rest of the Administration and see where things are in their eyes with the information collected, all the while I would be in contact with the person in question (if applicable). If there were no other admins around I would do my best to help resolve the situation however I can inform them of the other mediums we have for Administrative contacts, like the #admin-help discord channel, and probably point out what they need to fill in to help get that ball rolling.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

Well for starters- Not all forms of rule-breaking always require a formal punishment, you gotta know when you need to act versus when someone just needs redirection or even a lesser warning, something along those lines. I don't want it mistaken that I'm saying to be lax, just that not every situation would require a punishment necessarily and that needs to be taken into account on a situational basis. I'd personally start by seeing if someone has a history of trouble making first or even potentially are a repeat-offender and move from there. After that I would look at the situation, is it a really big deal type thing they did, or is it something more minor? Try to kind of gauge the situation a little. If it wasn't something very serious and whoever the person is that broke the rules doesn't have a history of doing so, then I'd probably just dish them a warning. If It was something that needed immediate attention, like...someone firebombing the station or posting illegal content in OOC chat or something like that, then I'd immediately ban them and be on my way to inform other staff of the situation already.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

I would think that if it were to give a gameplay advantage in a scenario where it could be mechanically in poor taste to do so, for example, a round of secret or Rev or something along those lines I'd assume. On an Extended round like we tend to have on the RP server, however? Probably just avoiding Security jobs and Some of the command roles should be Good Enough, after all, everyone should enjoy the surprises the game can throw at us at times, even Admins! It's part of the fun for everyone.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

Admins are expected of many things on Citidel and can do much more then what most people think too. They are those that facilitate good gameplay and mediation within the community and an admin should be polite and respectful but also know when they need to be stern and even strict while they are on duty, and even when they aren't they should be able to prove helpful in situations should the need arise, ever vigilant and ever helpful. Admins also have the opportunity to inject new life into the community in the form of fun games, events, helping people set up custom events, helping further in character interactions by setting up micro-events for a popular player built story, The little things count when it comes to entertaining the people of the server and I at least know they would appreciate some more of that going on in the RP server.

Nethaufer

Re: [HarliChan] - Adminstrator Application [RP]

Post by Nethaufer »

Answers are good. I've seen you here and there on the server but never at the source of negative or questionable behaviour. We do have a time gap that is indeed left unfilled and while the incidences on the server are few there are times where no admins are on.

+1 from me

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

I kind of recognize your Ckey, I feel I've seen it before, but I've never interacted with you. At any rate, I think your responses to the question are quite good, and show an important level of maturity. We do need more midnight people, so I'll support this. Wouldn't mind seeing how you do.

HarliChan

Post by HarliChan »

Nethaufer wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:46 am
Answers are good. I've seen you here and there on the server but never at the source of negative or questionable behaviour. We do have a time gap that is indeed left unfilled and while the incidences on the server are few there are times where no admins are on.

+1 from me
Thank you for your support, it is very much appreciated!

HarliChan

Post by HarliChan »

AvaricePleonexia wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:24 pm
I kind of recognize your Ckey, I feel I've seen it before, but I've never interacted with you. At any rate, I think your responses to the question are quite good, and show an important level of maturity. We do need more midnight people, so I'll support this. Wouldn't mind seeing how you do.
Thank you so much for your support it is much appreciated!

Vincent Airin

Post by Vincent Airin »

Sure, give ya a shot

Enzo_Leon

Post by Enzo_Leon »

Good bean, reaches out to admin team for any questions they have when needed. Has multiple fun characters that bring a good feeling to the rounds.

+1 from me.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

Player has been accepted. Welcome aboard.