dzahlus

[Dzahlus] Admin Application

Post by dzahlus »

BYOND ckey: Dzahlus
Character name: Dee Volantes, Crest, Dean, Mellifera
Discord username (+user id): Dzahlus#0606
How long have you played on Citadel?: started around autumn 2019
How long have you played SS13?: 2 weeks after the Ssethtide
What is your time zone/general hours of activity?: 17:00 - 04:00 CET/CEST in American 11:00am - 10:00pm EST
Previous SS13 related admin experience: None I'm afraid
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: Discord server owner/admin for 2 years, team leadership at workplace
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: R3dtaile, Silicons
Reason for application: During my play hours there's only ever R3dtaile available, as such I would like to help out during these times. I have completed a 1 week course on communication and teamwork (requirement of my old workplace in Novartis) and so I think I have the level headedness to work out player issues from a neutral perspective and do my best to uphold player fun for all.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
If it is in OOC chat I would mute both player's OOC and PM them separately to get a good picture of what it is about, then act accordingly.
If it is an OOC issue in game, then I would attempt to have them separated by IC means if possible or OOC means if not, so I may again PM them separately and get a good idea of what is going on and act accordingly.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
--Administrator PM--, this question is a bit vague to go into detail, but in short if an admin is needed they start investigating.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
Analyze the situation, most of the time the rules are pretty clear and in those instances the punishment is related to the rule broken. In some more vague ruling it has to be handled on a case by case basis and carefully managed as to make sure the punishment is fair and if possible, useful to help prevent further altercations.
Example: Maximus Melanin, Cook, has committed CQC into cold-room gibber torture, first time playing; This is a very obvious griefer, permaban, boot dead players to lobby for respawn.
Example 2: Dee Volantes, Atmospheric Technician, as a traitor bought sleeping carp and gloves of the northstar on discount, proceeds to murder everyone because he was interrupted stealing the supermatter sliver and is now lockerstuffing bodies with no sensors; Since there was no proper escalation to their rampage, and their obvious disregard of other players fun, IC intervention by ERT if possible, Open closed lockers, Administrator PM for interrogation, depending on their behaviour, if understanding that their behaviour is wrong, warning and note possibly timed in hopes they do not repeat, if not, Ban for 1 day to cool off and rethink playstyle.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
Any role where their OOC knowledge could compromise their playstyle. For example, heads of staff, or if they decide to be a bit more proactive in the stations wellbeing for the round, they should de-admin themselves.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
Upholding the server's rules and making sure that players are having more or less fun and not doing so to the detriment of others. Being level headed and able to see things from a neutral standpoint, even when they themselves are involved, and making decisions according to that. In short, professionalism and genuine care for the role.

Redtail

Re: [Dzahlus] Admin Application

Post by Redtail »

Well well well wot's all dis den.

Alright.
1. First part of the question's good (You have plenty of discretion towards that, although turning OOC off for everyone is the mechanically easiest option since OOC is p privilege not a right) . The second part is more questionable ( since involving yourself with it ICly simply means you can't...really handle it administratively 99% of the time.
2. The question means what should you do if you're involved in a situation that requires admin intervention but you cannot handle it. The correct answer being, ahelp and/or ping @main-staff (or rp-staff if you're playing on RP obviously) . Often both, mostly multiple times in my own experience.

3. Mostly fine answer however the second example we typically just do full-antag bans but of course that's subjective and depends moreso on the exact incident that occured. Still a fine answer just, but heehoo.

4. Fine answer.

5. fine answer

We're fairly strapped for candidates so I can't really mark off too harshly. But, you still have your moments of hot-headedness like the antag round yesterday where you kept egging people OOCly after you went very loud as an antag. As I myself have been in a similar state it's best to learn when to simply stop engaging. Since all that does is produce unnecessary friction. If you can level that "temper" you'll do well. As already indicated, I endorse this because you do mean well , I've seen that. And your incidences of concern are few and far between, . +1 this is agood lad. They're active, and around.

dzahlus

Post by dzahlus »

Thanks for raising concerns

1. With ICly I meant stuff like nudging security or command to investigate through either command messages or headset whisper if possible and if it makes sense i.e. has not escalated too much, not actually walking up to it myself.

2. I see, I agree with what you said and would do that too.

3. The ban is more if they just go "fuck you antags should murder etc." hostility when talked to and utter refusal to see that what they are doing is unfun.

lastly I apologise for causing friction in OOC, it was hot air and I feel awful for doing so. Gonna make sure this doesn't happen again, especially when I am supposed to be an example as admin.

superHB

Post by superHB »

+1 from me. I'm not sure how much weight Community Manager has in this but he gets my endorsement. Dee is genuinely a great person and is willing to help where he can. Those two traits alone make for a good candidate.

Silicons

Post by Silicons »

you have my +1, you still have lapses (see plasma flood incident a few days ago but it isn't frequent or otherwise concerning enough for me to -1 this considering everything else is in line

derkuleen

Post by derkuleen »

they're active on main which is, at the end of the day, the more important trait of a main admin.
why not, +1