[timothytea] admin application

timothyteakettle

[timothytea] admin application

Post by timothyteakettle »

BYOND ckey: timothytea
Character name: I mostly play Teak now, but I am also known for playing 'Timothy Teakettle'
Discord username (+user id): Timothy Teakettle#5774
How long have you played on Citadel?: about two years
How long have you played SS13?: about two years
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: GMT, usually free from 8pm onwards to about 2am, longer on weekends obviously
Previous SS13 related admin experience: aside from being an EM for a few weeks, none
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: nothing that is worth mentioning that is relevant here
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: no vouches that i am aware of
Reason for application: I have played citadel for quite some time and have been coding for the server for quite a long time now, and thought it's about time to apply for admin so I can try help out the server more, as we seem to have a lack of main staff on, around the times when I am usually online and otherwise available.

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
This is a bit vague, assuming it's a mild dispute being handled OOCly, but in the game and not discord, I would tell them to knock it off, and if they continued, place a temporary ban on the method they were using for talking, i.e. OOC or LOOC, or if it involves multiple people in OOC, then closing OOC temporarily is probably for the best.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
To my knowledge admins are not supposed to intervene in situations that require admin intervention, if they are directly involved in said situation due to bias through participation, and so should open an admin help (or make a ping on the discord if none are available), instead of directly taking action.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
I think if you're going to issue something such as a note, ban, or generally any other punishment, you should try talking about it with other admins online to get their opinions first. Your initial judgement should also make use of things such as their history and if they have broken the rules similarly before.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
If you're in a role that directly affects the round, i.e. a head role or security role.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
I guess this is also pretty vague, but an admin should be expected to keep the balance of the server and stop people from going too far with their antics such that the server still remains fun. They have an image to uphold, and a duty to punish people who break the rules.

--

I have been coding for the server for over a year now (including refactoring a lot of species and customization code!), and have been able to not cause any issues with my admin permissions that come with being an EM, although I haven't been able to do too much with the role as the other two main EMs quickly stepped down, leaving me by myself. I am also aware I have a fairly spotty note history, but I think that shows how much I have changed since I began on the server!

Xantholne

Re: [timothytea] admin application

Post by Xantholne »

I think you've got a pretty cool head and good answer so I'll give you a +1. Generally you wont need to ask on what kind of punishment for notes bans and mutes later on unless very unsure which can happen. But that's sort of a trial by fire moment

Redtail

Post by Redtail »

1. This is a fine answer . God I wish we had better tools on discord but heehoo.
2. This is correct, if you're involved make the ahelp and/or scream on discord for staff to come handle it.
3. Like Xantholne said, this is mostly a trial by fire. If you're new yeah you tend to rely more on other admins around for discussion purposes, but a lto of the times situations are pretty cut and dry on what punishment needs to be dolled out. Gray areas however, are typically good for getting multiple opinions.
4. this is about the norm yeah
5. Pretty much correct

You've improved a lot from being nearly perma-banned for being a shitter to being an event manager. You sometimes let your gimmicks get out of hand such as the incident as CMO. You've been an event manager for a while nady ou've already basically seen all the tools/logs at our disposal and really there's very, very minimal difference in what you'd be seeing. +1

buffalowing

Post by buffalowing »

good coder, good people +1

BlackMajor

Post by BlackMajor »

Y'all want my straight answer?

Historically in my observation, staff who've been reformed gamers/"shitters" often turn out more perceptive of bad behaviour than people who were good beans from the start.
Tooting my own horn there a bit, but it's a true factor to consider. R0-adic, for example, was perma'd like three times and is pretty solid as staff now.

Timmy's allright, he has performed the big stupid in the past, but a man that can grow out of it is wiser for it. Lad's got some obvious intent to improve on Cit, so he's got my +1.

Silicons

Post by Silicons »

i still have a small bit of concerns about the whole personal detachment and not letting people get to you but there's nothing that bad in that regard and i've already talked to you about my concerns in discord
i'm pretty sure there's not much to worry about as long as you are aware of these things so,

+1

derkuleen

Post by derkuleen »

yes.
good staff choice.