Hjorthorn

Hjorthorn RP Event Manager Application

Post by Hjorthorn »

BYOND Ckey: Hjorthorn
Character Name: Junko Kanegawa
Discord Username (+user id): Hedduh#9070
Reason for Application: Referred by Staff
Team Applying For: RP

1. When setting up an event for the server, what should be taken into account as your to-do list before announcing the event to the discord/server?
-Will the event generate content for the whole crew? Excluding those who have plans in the dorm that shift, is it reasonable that everyone on duty can have some involvement with it? If only one department will get most of the interaction, then is it worth it to invest in?
-Will the event be fun? Events that punish players for not being robust or skilled at atmospherics can alienate the userbase. It's good to make sure it's multifaceted enough for everyone to enjoy - similarly, if it has dark or somber themes, it's good to round it out with small silly or lighthearted aspects.
-Is the event appropriate? I like to make sure I include content warnings on things that I DM - for instance, when I ran Things from the Flood, I made sure to warn interested players that the game would feature themes of child abuse, substance abuse, trauma, grief, body horror, and the like. If I am going to play as a changeling or an eldritch monster, I'm going to be laying on the narrative prose heavy. If people are bothered by gore, nudity, violence, and the like being described in detail, I want people to know beforehand so they can avoid those aspects or request that I adjust them according to their individual experiences and needs.
-Is the event going to be populated? At 4AM Pacific Standard Time, I may be awake due to my nightmarish work schedule, but the server might not be. A pop of 3-4 people quietly talking in the bar is not an appropriate crew for a pirate ship boarding (except for when it is). Events should be tailored to the server business at the time of their occurrence.

2. What is expected of an Event Manager on Citadel Stations (Main and/or RP)?
Absolute adherence to server rules, actually going and doing events as opposed to filling this app out and then never GMing anything, taking the time to learn to use SS13's creative tools, participation in staff communications and server development, maintaining cordial and professional relations with other staff members and players, and modeling good behavior and procedure for members of the server.

3. What would you call a fun addition to a current round if the players are wanting extra spice?
At the moment, I am personally trying to develop my ability to write in prose and write in the horror genre. Until I better learn the inner workings of BYOND and SS13, I will probably limit it to smaller 'lurking horror' events designed to generate fear and unease among the crew and promote roleplay to find the source of it and root it out. I am also interested in experimenting with developing a bit of naturally-forming folklore among the crew, though I don't want to spoil it too much here in case the average player is reading this. After I learn mapping, I would like to put together a story arc spanning multiple events having to do with a number of derelict ships. On less sinister tones, I'd also be interested in returning to the CentCom events we used to do - such as department inspections, readiness drills, and practice infiltration. I have also considered rescue missions - local distress signals the Triumph could fly to or Tether(soon) send a shuttle to in order to repair a ship, rescue wounded or diseased, or combinations of these to maximize interdepartmental activity.

4. If an event you're hosting is going off the rails, or that the players are reacting to the event in a way that is steering away from your original plan and idea, what would you do at that point for the event?
I don't like railroading as a DM, so I tend to start by providing subtler cues that lead players back towards the current event or objective. If they're clearly off and trying to hijack the event to further some goal, I simply deprive them of results of content aligned with their objective to make it clear that the outcome they're trying to force has no bearing over the event at hand. It's a bit like stonewalling, I guess. The goblin in the corner is not the focus of the event, so coordinated efforts to seduce it will not produce any substantial results unless there's some fun way it can be spun to generate a more involved experience.
Last edited by Hjorthorn on Tue May 11, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nik707

Re: Hjorthorn RP Event Manager Application

Post by Nik707 »

full disclosure i didn't read this
+1

Hjorthorn

Post by Hjorthorn »

Nik707 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:39 pm
full disclosure i didn't read this
+1

thanks nicc glad to see you care

Captain277

Post by Captain277 »

+1 from me, obviously, since I asked you to do this.