[theknightofaura] RP admin Application

Auraknight

[theknightofaura] RP admin Application

Post by Auraknight »

BYOND ckey:theknightofaura
Character name: San Kun, Sato Nomi, Aqusite, Pholax, Starlight, Bastion
Discord username (+user id): Auraknight#5417
How long have you played on Citadel?: since 11/23/2020, (230 days)
How long have you played SS13?: Maybe a year? year and a half?
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: I'm normally on from 9 AM to 4AM, PDT, thought not exclusively, or absolutely. Depending on hyper-fixation, I play up to 16 hours a day.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: None, unless being an event manager counts.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: Worked as low level staff in the rimworld discord for a few years.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Captain
Reason for application: I have found myself more often then I'd like, the only 'admin' on the server. As an event manager, my hands are pretty well tied, and I'm unable to help the community with their tickets, questions, or troublemakers.

Questions:
1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
If possible, get other admin points of view. One admin cannot be everywhere, or notice everything. In general, however, such things shouldn't be happening in the server. There are other places to hash this out, ideally with less of a peanut gallery. I would personally politely ask both if they could take the discussion elsewhere. One needs to keep an eye out for metagrudging, or making sure that OOC doesn't spill into IC action.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
Ideally, first and foremost ask for another in game admin to handle it. A player/Admin conflict should not be resolved by either of the involved parties. If such does come up, and there isn't another admin on the server, it is there duty to make a note of it in Discord, asking for help. Should this fail, the admin should convey this fact as cooly as possible to the affected player, and disengage themselves from the situation, at the expense of their enjoyment in the round over that of the player's, if necessary.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
First and foremost, by the established punishments stated. Warnings and a note, for applicable first offences, followed by the rules as written. If the rule-breaker is a repeated offender, additional punishment as per admin conversation might be necessary. While I feel that it is better to warn then to ban, rules that are not fully enforced lose their teeth. If a player's been good, they can always have their sentence reduced later.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
When there are ample other admins on the server to handle anything that arises, in addition to you getting into something that means you won't be paying attention to, or hoping someone else handles, admin duties regardless.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

A Citadel admin is expected to help maintain an enjoyable game experience on the server, Via answering Ahelps, considering prayers, resolving griefing activity, and managing and overseeing events. They are expected to not misuse their powers for personal gain or intention, either in-round or out of it, and to do their job when they're on the server more often then not.

Zeldazackman

Re: [theknightofaura] RP admin Application

Post by Zeldazackman »

Tossing my 1+ as you've been quite active on the rp server from what I've seen as an event manager as well as with the community

Hjorthorn

Post by Hjorthorn »

Do you intend to continue EMing after becoming an admin, or focusing your interest primarily on moderation and handling tickets?

Auraknight

Post by Auraknight »

Hjorthorn wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:27 am
Do you intend to continue EMing after becoming an admin, or focusing your interest primarily on moderation and handling tickets?
My main focus is gonna be running events, yeah. It's a passion to give back to the community that i've grown to love so much. Honestly, I'm more then happy to let others handle tickets for the most part- it's things like people Ahelping about bugs, or asking how to do things that i'm interested in resolving, especially when I find myself being the only 'staff' on.

Hjorthorn

Post by Hjorthorn »

Auraknight wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:38 am
Hjorthorn wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:27 am
My main focus is gonna be running events, yeah. It's a passion to give back to the community that i've grown to love so much. Honestly, I'm more then happy to let others handle tickets for the most part- it's things like people Ahelping about bugs, or asking how to do things that i'm interested in resolving, especially when I find myself being the only 'staff' on.
While I understand we're on a sort of break from events due to the map change, I can't say I can support this in full confidence until I see you manage a handful more of events. When you first got the role you seemed to be on rough footing on what good events should be, with things such as the meteor shower or various 'busywork' incidents that did more to detract from player's ability to HRP than add to it; and more recently your suggestion of a very LRP type event with the clown war. I feel we should see how you've grown and adjusted to EM more fully before we make the next jump to administration. However, I do think your reason for wanting to become an admin is perfectly valid, as it's similar to the reason I applied. There are definitely some timezones where we just do not have coverage at the moment, but I also see you online almost daily when multiple other staff are on and feel that (should you be accepted) we should take steps to avoid dogpiling.

At this present moment I'm afraid I'll have to lean towards a -1, simply because the map change has prevented me from seeing how your experience has changed how you run events. If we have a staff member hurling meteors at the station for an entire round despite widespread IC complaint, it sets a bad precedent for the rest of staff as many players sort of see us a an amorphous single body or hivemind when it comes to events and decisions.

Jaybirdnerd

Post by Jaybirdnerd »

Hello,

Immediate +1 from me. I think you'd make a good fit for the job. I hope you remain working as an EM after you become admin!

Keekenox

Post by Keekenox »

I was going to pretty much say everything that HJ already did, it's kinda a -1 from me.

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

Completely ignoring events gone awry, because that has literally nothing to do with being a decent staff member. You generally seem to care about taking criticism and yeah some of your events weren't perfect but that has literally no bearing on whether or not you'd make a good admin. You have a decent understanding of rules and care when people are mad. That's an easy +2

Captain277

Post by Captain277 »

Welcome to the Admin team.