Cataclysmanic [RP Administrator Application]

Cataclysmanic

Cataclysmanic [RP Administrator Application]

Post by Cataclysmanic »

The Elephant in the room is addressed at the bottom.
BYOND ckey: Cataclysmanic
Character name: Benjamin Atler, FISH
Discord username (+user id): Cataclysmanic#7130
How long have you played on Citadel?: Since May 20th 2019
How long have you played SS13?: A little over five years now
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: Central Time (CT) - Most active around 2PM CST - 2AM CST
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Here for one and a half years, Hestia for half of a year. Approximately two total
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: I worked as a pseudo-manager at Walmart. I was just a cashier, but sometimes, someone had to take charge when we lacked a manager.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Captain277#3409
Reason for application: I've been an admin on this station before. I want to get back into that. It was one of the most satisfying and enjoyable experiences I ever had on the internet, helping keep this place civil and fun for everyone. Nobody should ever have to suffer at the hands of a griefer or douchebag. Everyone here in good faith deserves to have fun in a safe and friendly environment. I wanna be there to help.

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
I would approach the matter unbiased, and with a level head. I would firstly ask that the OOC issue be brought out of the public to a DM if they cannot come to an understanding. I would ask the two in the altercation what went wrong, and how I can help. If it was a less than serious matter, and just a petty argument, I'd suggest that they both take some time to calm down and try to come to a logical understanding. If it was a more serious issue I.E a player seeking to instigate arguments, or hunting down a player just to make their gameplay miserable, I'd ask a second admin to help me look into it, get both sides of the story, and punish as necessary.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
I would tell the other player that I am calling for an admin, after which, I would ask a second admin to come and act as a third party in the situation. It pays to have an unbiased power in the situation. If no admins are present, I would notify the player that they would have an easier time reaching one through the discord server. I would try to remain in contact with them until another admin can respond to the issue.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
The admin should take a long look at both the severity of the situation at hand, any past rule-breaking or other issues caused by the player, and the implications behind their actions. If the issue at the time was minor, and the player is known to be relatively cooperative and not a troublemaker, I would let them off with advice, a warning, or both. On more serious issues like repeat offenses, self-antagonizing or constant OOC hostility; notes, suspension or bans would be considered, but not jumped to until the situation is fully understood and an amicable solution would be useless, or impossible.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
When playing as a character in the round who is in an important position. IE, any heads of staff or antagonists. Though, an admin should ONLY knowingly take part in the round as a character when there is an ample supply of admins to handle any altercations.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
Admins are expected to maintain the peace, and to always go into a situation with a calm attitude, an unbiased opinion, and with a level head. Admins are expected to remain compassionate, and to treat everyone on this server with respect, disciplining only when a better solution is impossible. Admins are expected to lay the foundations for players to build off of, so they can make the server a treat for themselves.

The very big Elephant in the room

Yes. I am aware of my reputation among the administrative team and my friends. I left this server not once, twice, but three times over after being given administrative and event manager privileges. This makes me look really bad, and I know it's going to result in a lot of doubt amongst the people approving, denying or even spectating this. I would like to address this with the reasoning as to why.

Back when I had originally applied for admin, I was not mentally or physically well. My life was in the shitter and I had thought that the fun and good that came from administrating on Citadel would outweigh the stresses. For a while, it did. This place and the help I put in were both great escapes. But life, being the bitch that it is, blindsided me with a broken family and mind. A downward spiral had developed, and eventually I shut everything out, my friends, now ex-girlfriend, family, and Citadel. Giving lies, half truths and excuses as to why I didn't want to be around anymore, because the truth was too personal and I didn't want to be seen as a mentally ill psychopath if and when I eventually snapped on someone. For the sake of preserving myself and my friendships, I thought disappearing was the correct option. In the end I recovered, but the costs of ghosting everyone I cared about vastly outweighed the benefit of self-introspection.

Two years after I had said goodbye to Citadel, I'm stable again. Living in a safe place after having recovered from my mental and familial issues. I'm moving on from my problems and improving as a person. On a whim, I opened up Byond and logged onto Citadel. I remembered the fun I had as a player, and the enjoyment I had gotten out of being an administrator. I remember those days fondly, and really that's what I want back. I want to help people have fun again. I want to create a safe and happy place for people to make friends and roleplay.

I can't ask people to forget that I abandoned ship. Because at three points I had, and it's pretty hard to forgive that. I want to ask if you'll give me another chance.

Cataclysmanic

Re: Cataclysmanic [RP Administrator Application]

Post by Cataclysmanic »

(Also, someone should really remove my admin privileges on the forums in the meantime)

Auraknight

Post by Auraknight »

I've seen you around a few times, and, as far as I know, you never left in bad blood. People take time off from the server, be it 'going on break' or quitting, but either way involves re-submitting an application if they've been gone for any significant period of time. I don't see any glaring errors with a brief skim of your application, and unless anyone can give any reason that you've caused issues during your tenures as an admin here, see no reason why you shouldn't have a swift reinstatement.

PlumeOfSmoke

Post by PlumeOfSmoke »

You're one of the only admins who actually had the foresight to bow out when you needed to. Most admins stick around on break not doing much or contributing (like most EMs currently including me tbh). Knowing you and your prior experience I'd say you're a damn good choice for an admin, and I actually think more like you with the mindset you displayed during previous tenures is required. Considering how often you're playing right now and your activity in the discord I think you're dedicated to helping out.
+1 from this random EM cat

Jaybirdnerd

Post by Jaybirdnerd »

Hello,

+1, It's been a while since you were here and honestly if your life was that bad off then I get why you'd wanna dip out. I don't think it matters all too much long-term if you left or not as long as it isn't on poor terms. Sorry to hear all that happened to you, but it's great that you're back in line where you need to be. If you're able to handle it then we welcome you back with open arms. Hopefully things'll stay alright so you won't have to leave again.

Can't wait to see you back in action,
~Jay

Sakuya

Post by Sakuya »

From a player perspective during your time as staff, I can't recall any negative interactions with you. While being staff, I haven't heard any objections as to why you shouldn't be brought back. Life is prioritized over everything, so if you had to dip then you had to dip. I don't think that should be held against you in this case.

+1

Captain277

Post by Captain277 »

Approved. Hiii-yah. *Karate chop.*