Staff Application- Girdo

Girdo

Staff Application- Girdo

Post by Girdo »

BYOND ckey: Girdo
Character name: Laecifer Daevas, M.A.L.F., The Professional, et al.
Discord username (+user id):ThatRussianBastard#0409
How long have you played on Citadel?: EDITED: Played on Citadel for 1 year, 5 months.
How long have you played SS13?: At the very least, four to five years.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: EST (GMT-4), generally active from 8:00 PM EST-8:00 AM EST, occasionally on during the day.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Moderator on Soap Station prior to its slow and painful deactivation. Cebutris can confirm this.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: N/A
Reason for application: Mentor applications don't exist, and this finally gives me a way to send unlimited awoo and mlem to Cebu over asayI've always enjoyed helping players with questions or issues that they might have. I've never been stressed by handling ahelps, and find handling issues and sorting through logs more entertaining than I do tedious. I know. Severe brain damage must have occurred in childhood. 

Below you will be required to describe how you would handle a handful of scenarios that may or may not require admin intervention. 
For every scenario, describe your personal opinion of the intentions of the player(s), whether you think you should intervene, and how you would initiate an intervention with the player(s) if you decide to.

There are technically no "correct" answers for this, but you will be judged on how you respond to these questions.
You observe two players having a fist-fight in the bar. Player 1 puts Player 2 into critical condition, and then Player 1 quickly leaves the bar to go heal them-self. Checking their attack logs, you find that neither of them had any interaction before they started fighting. Checking their say logs however, you discover that both of them got in a verbal confrontation that got very heated, and that Player 2 both initiated the confrontation and threw the first punch. How do you proceed?

For all of these questions, I will be assuming I have the appropriate staff privileges to perform the actions. Personally, I would like to give the two players the benefit of the doubt. Based on the verbal confrontation, it appears that the fight was an IC issue, and that the fight was based on proper roleplay. Player 1 chose not to kill Player 2, and instead left to get healed. The one precautionary measure I would take would be to check both players for antag positions. If they are NOT antags,  both players- especially the initiator, Player 2- should be quietly monitored to ensure that any other conflict or confrontation, with each other or with other crew, is justified. This prevents the possibility of self-antagging (in the form of repeatedly provoking various crew to fights-to-the-death over minor issues) under the guise of "escalation".

You observe one player acting suspiciously and decide to watch them. While watching, you discover that they are a new player with less than a day of time on the server. You also discover that they haven't said anything for the entire round. Their contents include a full set of tools, and not much else. While watching they spend their time breaking into unsecure areas like the bar back room, hydroponics, the chapel office, EVA. How do you proceed?

This is a mixed-feeling question. Again, it might be preferable to stick to the benefit-of-the-doubt routine. It's completely possible that they're legitimately a brand-new player just trying to figure out how the server/game works. According to the EXACT WORDING of the question, they're not stealing anything from these locations. They're just breaking in, maybe wandering around, and leaving again. If the "new player" is breaking into these areas collecting things like EVA suits, the bar shotgun, the null rod, etc., it may be worth bluntly asking them what they're doing and why they're breaking into various places to steal things.
However, if going by the exact wording of the question, a polite adminPM may still be in order. Nothing inquisitorial or "droppin' muh banhammer on ye", but simply welcoming them to the server, making sure they read the rules, asking them if they're new to SS13 in general or just the server, letting them know they can ahelp any questions they might have. If they're a new player, it's a way to open a door to help. If it's a very low-key greytider, it's a polite reminder that there are staff online, that could very well discourage behavior from escalating from B&E to more severe issues/legitimate rule infractions.

You observe Player 1 who is a scientist building a combat mech. When they're finished, they allow Player 2 who is their friend and an assistant to come and take the combat mech out of the department. Later, Player 2 gets into a fight with security over the possession of the combat mech, and decides to try killing the security players but fails and is killed by security instead. How do you proceed?

This is an interesting issue. First up is to check the antag roles of both Player 1 and Player 2. We'll assume both are nonantags, since the question doesn't explicitly state they are. Politely PM Player 2 first, asking them why they attempted to kill security members as a nonantag, and get their side of the story about why events occurred. If they are in the wrong, give them a warning not to repeat the behavior, and add it to their player notes. Regardless of whether they had good reason or not, the next step is to perform a quick log dive involving Player 1. Giving an assistant a combat mech, while discouraged, is not necessarily against the rules. Check to see whether anyone had given the crew a reason to doubt the assistant's motives (ie. assistant was declared an antag/harmful/committing crimes). If there was probable cause to NOT give the mech to the assistant, PM Player 1 asking for an explanation. If no such doubt exists, it's an IC issue and non-PM-worthy.
Last edited by Girdo on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

cebutris

RE: Staff Application- Girdo

Post by cebutris »

I can confirm your prior staff experience, and can also confirm that you were good at it, and the answers to the questions look good. You have my support
Awoo

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

Yeah this application is pretty good, I don't really have any further input.
ex-headmin

Tekoro

Post by Tekoro »

I think Girdo would make for a good staff member since he's always available to help anyone and has good judgement when it comes to solving scenarios involving rulebreakers, good luck.

areebur

Post by areebur »

Hey, I like this guy.
I'm not sure about his experience with being staff because I haven't known him for too long, BUUT. He's a very mature dude and is fun to be around and rp with. I feel comfortable with him being a mod or even an admin, and I feel like he could handle that responsibility with ease. c:

+1 from me, he's got my support.
im going fuck kill mode

Cabbose

Post by Cabbose »

Girdo is the man, why are we even discussing this? Mod this sucker and let's get on with our lives.

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

I'll accept this application, I'm not sure at what date I'll be formally adding you though.
ex-headmin

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

Accepted as of 7/19/2017.
ex-headmin