Moderator application: Deathride58

deathride58

Moderator application: Deathride58

Post by deathride58 »

BYOND ckey: Deathride58
Character name: Kraai Landgebonde, Funis Banne, and various other characters I've only played once or twice
Discord username (+user id): Bhijn#6295
How long have you played on Citadel?: Since late February of this year
How long have you played SS13?: About a year now, alongside quite a bit of experience with coding.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: EST. My general activity hours are pretty inconsistent, but judging from the stats page, I'm on the most from 8 PM - 1 AM in the server's timezone.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Aside from using admin commands to debug stuff on a local server, none.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: I've managed toddlers at a local daycare, alongside a handful of (thankfully) less nightmarish experiences helping moderate small, short-lived communities.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: None yet
Reason for application: I'd really like to help the server out any way I can. I've already spent half of my (recorded) time observing on the server, so I might as well put future observing time to more use than just listening to balance complaints and viewing runtime logs at the end of each round. I've also noticed I'm usually on when there's no other admins on, according to my liberal spamming of the adminwho and who buttons during my sessions.

Below you will be required to describe how you would handle a handful of scenarios that may or may not require admin intervention. 
For every scenario, describe your personal opinion of the intentions of the player(s), whether you think you should intervene, and how you would initiate an intervention with the player(s) if you decide to.

There are technically no "correct" answers for this, but you will be judged on how you respond to these questions.
You observe two players having a fist-fight in the bar. Player 1 puts Player 2 into critical condition, and then Player 1 quickly leaves the bar to go heal them-self. Checking their attack logs, you find that neither of them had any interaction before they started fighting. Checking their say logs however, you discover that both of them got in a verbal confrontation that got very heated, and that Player 2 both initiated the confrontation and threw the first punch. How do you proceed?

I'd dig further into both player's say logs in an attempt to figure out as much context about the situation as possible, and go from there. If Player 2's been aggressive to everyone all round, I'd likely send 'em a PM asking what's up and give them a note if there's no IC justification for any of it. Other than that, the situation seems like an IC issue, and there's way too many reasons the fight could have happened to properly determine Player 2's motives.

You observe one player acting suspiciously and decide to watch them. While watching, you discover that they are a new player with less than a day of time on the server. You also discover that they haven't said anything for the entire round. Their contents include a full set of tools, and not much else. While watching they spend their time breaking into unsecure areas like the bar back room, hydroponics, the chapel office, EVA. How do you proceed?

I'd check the player's BYOND account age first thing, and pay close attention to how fast the player's breaking into those areas. If the player's BYOND account is less than a month old, and the newjoin is consistently breaking in pretty fast, I'd put them on watchlist and check if the account is associated with any other accounts via IP or CID, as the account is likely an alt. Otherwise, I'd send them a PM to make sure the player's read the rules, and focus on other things, as the player is either new to SS13 in general or simply used to other servers.

You observe Player 1 who is a scientist building a combat mech. When they're finished, they allow Player 2 who is their friend and an assistant to come and take the combat mech out of the department. Later, Player 2 gets into a fight with security over the possession of the combat mech, and decides to try killing the security players but fails and is killed by security instead. How do you proceed?

I'd check saylogs for both Player 1 and 2 in an attempt to find the reason why Player 1 gave Player 2 the mech, and send both players admin PMs asking what's up. If there's no real reason beyond the two players being friends, I'd give both players a note for metafriending, and ask adminchat what the proper course of action would be if both players have pre-existing notes for metafriending.
Picking a fight with Security in response to them disagreeing with the possession of a destructive machine is poor form, but since Security has already killed Player 2, the issue has already been dealt with IC. I'd check the note history for anything regarding antagonizing Security while asking Player 2 about it in a PM, adding a note for antagonizing security on top of the note for metafriending, and asking adminchat about it if the player already has a history of antagonizing Security.

Ruby Flamewing

RE: Moderator application: Deathride58

Post by Ruby Flamewing »

My two cents is that this all seems to check out fairly well.

Only issue I find?
I didn't know it was you at first, Bhijn, until I read your Discord name you put. =V
It is only waffer thin.

Tekoro

Post by Tekoro »

Never seen you in game, but I've talked with you on discord, you seem a reasonable guy that might actually be fit for the job, so
+1

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

looks good to me
ex-headmin

Ragolution

Post by Ragolution »

I don't see that Ckey in our history-thing. Typo or an alt or something else?

deathride58

Post by deathride58 »

Yep, Deathride58 is my main ckey. I was just on last round (current time as of post being 12:24 AM EST) while you were online. Lack of history may be due to my lack of notes, judging from what I'm seeing in the messages section of the /me.php page of the newss13tools thing.

Tekoro

Post by Tekoro »

Ye you have no notes

Ragolution

Post by Ragolution »

well fug

yeah it's cuz you have no notes

okay. ...

cebutris

Post by cebutris »

Though I don't have any experiences personally, the application looks good.
Awoo

Cabbose

Post by Cabbose »

You don't make a YouTube channel if ya don't love the game, right? +1