Staff App - BlackMajor

BlackMajor

Staff App - BlackMajor

Post by BlackMajor »

BYOND ckey: BlackMajor

Character name: Durgit/D-args
Discord username (+user id): BlackMajor#5331
How long have you played on Citadel?: Approximately a year.
How long have you played SS13?: Approximately a year + a month or two (Was introduced to this game on /vg/station first before coming here.)
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: UTC+12, New Zealand. On for more hours of the day than i should be allowed.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Have yet to perform any staff related activity in an SS13 server.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: Used to host and run a plethora of video game servers years back with an old group of networking/programming friends and myself across various games and communities.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Kevinz seemed like he was in favor, maybe Deathride/Bhjin too albeit uncertain. Have yet to ask others for their explicit opinion.
Reason for application: Couple of reasons. First one being that i sit in a timeslot where there is, for the majority of my hours, not a single admin on at all. Second one being that the number of active mins seems to be dwindling. Third reason being, I was intending to apply for that barely used "Event Manager" rank that i'm not even sure is used, I'd see myself as baring various creative and amusing ideas without being egregious... But i'm under the impression one would have to be a mod before that comes to play, I take.

Below you will be required to describe how you would handle a handful of scenarios that may or may not require admin intervention. 
For every scenario, describe your personal opinion of the intentions of the player(s), whether you think you should intervene, and how you would initiate an intervention with the player(s) if you decide to.

There are technically no "correct" answers for this, but you will be judged on how you respond to these questions.
You observe two players having a fist-fight in the bar. Player 1 puts Player 2 into critical condition, and then Player 1 quickly leaves the bar to go heal them-self. Checking their attack logs, you find that neither of them had any interaction before they started fighting. Checking their say logs however, you discover that both of them got in a verbal confrontation that got very heated, and that Player 2 both initiated the confrontation and threw the first punch. How do you proceed?

Check the antag panel first before proceeding.
Typical bar dispute, incredibly common and often raised by escalating IC confrontations. A fisticuff duel seemed an acceptable turn of events. I'd presume player 1 doesn't intend for player 2 to die, rather to just be roughed up a bit.
Not a situation I'd bwoink anyone over, unless player 2 was deliberately seeking confrontation. I'd be mildly upset though if player 1 didn't come back to at least drag player 2 to sec or med, but that would just be them being polite.

Overall, no need to interfere lest the cause of the initial confrontation has been unusual, or someone had ahelped.

You observe one player acting suspiciously and decide to watch them. While watching, you discover that they are a new player with less than a day of time on the server. You also discover that they haven't said anything for the entire round. Their contents include a full set of tools, and not much else. While watching they spend their time breaking into unsecure areas like the bar back room, hydroponics, the chapel office, EVA. How do you proceed?

Always check the antag panel first before proceeding.
Allright, their activity would certainly make me a bit uneasy, but on the premise of what they were doing alone they've yet to quite tread the rule line. I'd investigate into a bit more, watch over them for a while, get an idea of whether or not they're a truly new player or a veteran from another server or on an alt. In the latter case, figure out if they are on an alt as they could be ban-evading. The lack of any verbal interaction with anyone the entire round though would give me an uneasy feel that their intention is to either go unnoticed, or setting up some form of grief.

Overall, would probably not directly message them until something arises from their actions, such as them collecting various robusting equipment during their break ins without any real need to which would justify asking them about it. But until such an action occurs, i'd be a bit on the fence about it but would end up subtlely putting them on a watchlist about being a new player acting unusual and to be watched.

You observe Player 1 who is a scientist building a combat mech. When they're finished, they allow Player 2 who is their friend and an assistant to come and take the combat mech out of the department. Later, Player 2 gets into a fight with security over the possession of the combat mech, and decides to try killing the security players but fails and is killed by security instead. How do you proceed?

Again, check the antag panel first and hope to myself that either of these players was at least an antag.
First things first, open communication with player 2 and ask them what made them think going straight to murder as the right course of action. Non-antag mech murder of sec is quite the hefty offense and i'm rather doubtful they'd have half of a viable excuse for it, at an absolute bare minimum they're getting a note for it.
Second thing, check what was up with player 1 just casually handing a dangerous lethal weapon to an assistant just because they're their friend. If the excuse is something shoddy like "They just wanted one" it'd be high likely that note on player 2 will have a powergaming clause added to it too. Player 1 would probably get a lesser note along the lines of intentionally enabling chaos to happen but that's not exactly a rule per se.... Likely, if I am to be able to confirm their friendship to be along the lines of meta, they'd likely get a note for Metafriending.

In short, highly likely Ban/Note player 2 depending on the circumstance but they're not getting out of it clena either way.
Potentially note player 1 while i'm at it, unless their reasoning is valid.

kevinz000

RE: Staff App - BlackMajor

Post by kevinz000 »

helped me find dangerous exploits and bugs in general, nice guy, +1

Ruby Flamewing

Post by Ruby Flamewing »

Isn't *bad* but isn't *outstanding,* either.
Is a derg. Not much really need be said.

Big fat neutral from me, on an honest scale, because helpful but also made the Robot That Screams. Helpful, but does have a tendency to go a chaotic route to do so at times. Not that it's entirely *bad*, but you know. Not really something the average person should make a habit of.

If it were a role, I'd say "Bug Tester" is a more appropriate tag to give. That's basically what he does.
It is only waffer thin.

Raeschen

Post by Raeschen »

see, this is a bit of a difficult one

There are some concerns over notable things in your past. Namely, some of the groups of people you've been involved with, and some of the discord groups i myself have been invited to and seen previously. I mean, i don't really think you should be held accountable for who you associate yourself with, but it is at least a little bit worrying given how some of these people have behaved in the past, two of them being given a chance at adminship.

Another personal concern is how you've sometimes reacted to staff in the past. You used to (I haven't seen this in a long while - perhaps you've improved) have a strange tendency to interpret admin rulings and rules very directly, to the point where you'd vehemently ignore future staff orders given things said in the past, or things reportedly said to other players - this has led to a lengthy permanent ban on at least one occasion.

that said, despite all these problems, you do keep coming back to play here without causing too much issue, and you HAVE been active here a long while recently without doing very much wrong. If that doesn't show improvement and loyalty, i don't know what does.

Your time zone is also very ideal given the zone of most of the staff currently (USA/EU).

I'd say if you show your judgement is logical and sound, and you show that you can be humble in your opinions and be open to debate/seeing multiple sides of various decisions - as well as show that you can avoid associating with obviously toxic groups that have been an issue for this server's community for a fairly long time now, you'd alleviate some of the concerns the staff here has and probably make a good staff member.

I would _tentatively_ support this, because in my opinion, everyone should be given a chance, and it's super easy to take your staff powers away if it turns out bad. I have concerns, but i'd say you obviously care about this community given your loyalty.

Slomka

Post by Slomka »

I'm not good man and everyone knows that. But Major is preety good :v. Never seen him salty or anything (and belive me I tried). Also about that discord group, that someone could think is "metafriends group to grieff servers and whine when we did nuffin !1!1!1!1!" It is not that, all there really is is mostly bad memes our like stories from serwers, playing PUBG/Siege together shitton of my photos where I squat on things and sometimes someone ask "Hey what will kill someone faster spear or laser gun" (soo what the fuck is about with that all drama about this bois ?) . He is also like basicly a admin IC when he plays AI soo there is that too. I say gib him the min.
Last edited by Slomka on Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Kersakof

Post by Kersakof »

Honestly, your bad outweighs the good in my eyes. It'll be a while before I could accept you as a staff member. The ties to the other group that left and attack Citadel will always leave a bad taste in my mouth. I think this will go down as the last couple of staff members with you being squelched out almost immediately because of leaking admin chat or other bad behavior.

deathride58

Post by deathride58 »

My two cents? You'd do *amazing* in a dedicated busmin, mentor, or even a formal dedicated playtester/coder's pet role, but you might not do too well in a position responsible for dealing out punishments, and dealing with player relations.
You're pretty damn chill and lenient. To the point where I fear you might end up being too lenient most of the time, which might make the "citadel admins are inconsistent" complaints even worse.

If we have a dedicated busmin role, then all of my support goes towards you getting that role, but a formal admin role is basically a hard "eh"

BlackMajor

Post by BlackMajor »

Oof, ow, allright. Sounding like an on the fence yes/no circumstance from the majority, which is ultimately a no.
A tad offended I still get flak though for being associated with that group that ended up being rather against citmins, despite my associations being nothing more than just, ye know, talking with people now and then that I got along with as people instead of players.
I suppose I can't really prove that though.

To what deathrides said, honestly personally myself think back on times where I punish people too harshly for being shitters, the chill relaxed aspect is more of a mask at times.
To the prospect of a busmin akin to /vg/'s old prayermins? Actually the whole reason I made this app in the first place, off of bhijn's suggestion that I'd be creative enough (and have been at times, in my opinion) to entertain.

Thank you for your time and your honesty.

Itching sensation in the back of my head asking how cabbose got in but not meself, i'm guessing apps are more carefully handled after a series of some badmins.
Last edited by BlackMajor on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sylas

Post by Sylas »

Ill start off by hitting a key factor in my support.
Yeah, I'm friends with Durgit, yeah, I'll admit theres a bit of bias here.

But I think he would do well as a member of staff, and my being friends with him and actually spending time around him has shined light on his behavior, and I can attest that when needed, he's serious and to the point. Yeah, he has an existing bad record, but its not consistent across the same subjects.

Kersakov had told me once that he had a god awful reputation, said he'd even been a deliberate shitter, and he still ended up as an admin, and even mellowed out as a result. What's to say the same wont be so for Durgit?

Despite the 'bad record' that durgit has, do take into account that he is also an appreciated part of the community- Last I'd checked. He's infamous at worst.

That said. Yeah. I'd definitely support you being a member of staff, and not just because we're friends, but because I know you're capable of handling it, and handling it well.

Raeschen

Post by Raeschen »

yeah, i have to agree, it's a bit harsh to judge you based on your involvement in that group

My only concern remains this limit-pushy nature you sometimes have, but you've been here a long time, you obviously like it here.

I think you should be given a chance. I'll support this.