Administration Application - Soulstolen

Soulstolen

Administration Application - Soulstolen

Post by Soulstolen »

BYOND ckey: Soulstolen
Character name: Urinsu Miiruz
Discord username (+user id): SecretlySomeLizard#4448
How long have you played on Citadel?: 4-5 months
How long have you played SS13?: For about a year.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: UTC-6; Central Standard. I'm on usually on whenever I'm not at work, as of right now I'm on more during late afternoon to around a few hours to sunrise, when the server has died down a bit. I try to be active whenever I can though.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: No admin experience as an admin on SS13.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: Moderating on simple things such as Garry's mod, Minecraft, discords and teamspeak servers.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Kevinz000

Reason for application: The obvious answer is I want to help of course, but more than just that. I respect the admins of this community and love it for all it's worth, it's more than just a game sometimes and it starts to feel like a family of friends that really make the day better. I want to be more involved in the community and try to help give others the warm welcoming that all the other admins have given to me, to do more than just what being an admin implies and go the extra mile to bring a good environment to the people. I've worked in customer service and I've had to deal with the stubborn customer who thinks they are right when they are completely wrong, but making them feel that way, or straight up tell them they are wrong, is not the way to go about it. Instead, you should work on a solution that can resolve the situation and keep both parties happy; however that is not always possible, but to at least try is the idea. The admins of citadel have been chosen wisely in my eye, I see new people pop on every day and they are greeted with open arms. What I am trying to point out is that I know that  I am capable of giving back to this community what has been given to me, answering ahelps and dissolving situations to come to a conclusion that is not biased and favors another side. I know there is some people I am not on great terms with, and not at all would I think to use the power of being an admin to my advantage to get them banned or assert any authority over them. I wouldn't want to destroy the community I aim to protect, and these are all things I am confident I can do. I came to citadel after dealing with the admins on paradise, they didn't make me feel welcomed, got almost no direction, and found it impossible to even get a single word out of them on discord. I came here, and made friends with the admins, got direction, was given help, and learned more about the game in a few weeks than I did my entire months I played on paradise. All that, is what kept me here, and all that, is how I want to keep others here.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
It depends a lot on who is involved and what the situation is. If someone I know very well, such as Rio were involved, I'd try to have another admin come in to avoid any bias or feelings of favoritism. However if I am the only one available, I would make sure to calm the two down if they are yelling at each other, calling names, or even throwing violent insults. I'd make sure to get both sides of the story, ask on each side who was involved, ask any witnesses what may have happened and try to start the process of figuring out a solution. Some people can say things they don't mean out of anger, and the two may even be friends. So knowing the situation and who is involved all key in how to resolve the issue.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
De-admin if in admin mode firstly, not responding to the ahelp about you, and not trying to admin talk to another admin as to prove you are right. State your reasoning for what you did, or what they did, explain in detail and respond to the admin who is answering the ahelp. Act as if you are a player and not an admin. Being honest is the best thing to do, and accepting consequence if needed.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
I feel personally that one admin should not be the deciding factor, in cases however with someone obviously murdering everyone when they are not an antag, and refusing to respond to admins, should be temporarily banned and the incident reported to a head admin in the case of needing to permanently banned. Simply, I don't know exactly how much deciding factor an admin has, and most everything in my opinion should always be reported to someone higher up on any final decisions.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
If they are playing as an important role, an antag, they are involved in an ahelp, or they are not suitable at the time to admin. (Such as they have been drinking lately, extremely tired, or in any way not able to properly deal with a situation that requires critical thinking.) Certain exception may apply, such as it is a green shift with no antags or you are the only admin able available for something, as long as it doesn't involve you.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
To create a fair and fun gaming environment, to not act alone, and to call on your fellow admins if needed. Knowing the rules, when to play your role and when not to, as well as helping other players with whatever their needs may be if possible. Personally to me, the most important of all, is to show the same respect to players and other admins, that you wish to receive yourself. From playing the game, there's one thing I learned, even if you are the captain, or security, you may be above others, but you are not above the law, and you can still be punished for your crimes.

gypsyShark

Re: Administration Application - Soulstolen

Post by gypsyShark »

From what I have seen from you, and from how you responded, I would be delighted to see you on the admin team. I do think that it’s good to stress working together as admins, but there will also be times where you will be on your own. If you do get admin, Be sure to ask lots of questions to get a feel for how admins operate.
+1 from me!

Worgilisk

Post by Worgilisk »

Font colour choice aside, I approve of your answers provided; lengthy, detailed, your drive to be a member of the team really shines through here.
I assume 'Rio' is a friend of yours, so yes, do avoid having such personal connections influence judgement if such an occasion arises when you need to... and obviously avoid saying something you shouldn't around them.
Don't have much else to say for now, save for +1

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

+1 you're a good guy and this is a high effort appeal
you're one of the better players around and is someone who i feel is admin material

BlackMajor

Post by BlackMajor »

Lizzer bias incoming.
Oh hey Uri'. As you're probably aware I already know you relatively well and can gauge your intent on matters. You generally can handle situations, but I /have/ seen you ragequit a few times before, not behaviour that I'd want to see fostered (despite how frustrating this game can be.)
You tend to be well articulated in discussion and I can appreciate your responses. Also, like an absolute madman mains IAA on the RP server, aka the job for baby admin light.

You have my +1, but with a mild concern.
Adminning gets kinda frustrating, be sure you want that extra bit of anger in your life.