[Coolgat3] Admin Application

Coolgat3

[Coolgat3] Admin Application

Post by Coolgat3 »

BYOND ckey: Coolgat3
Character name: Stalks-The-Prey
Discord username (+user id): Coolgat3#7209
How long have you played on Citadel?: I believe since November 2018 or so, I'm not entirely sure.
How long have you played SS13?: About 7-8 months or so
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: I'm usually on all day or at 15-22 during work days of the CET timezone.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: I've only played around with admin commands on a private server running on Citadel's game files.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: I've been an admin on a few GMod DarkRP and HL2RP (Half-Life 2 Roleplay) servers, aswell as two San Andreas Multiplayer RP servers.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: None that I know of, not that I asked anyone, though.
Reason for application: I really like the server. I've been thinking about getting some admin experience in SS13 for some time, and since Citadel is my main server I guess it's the best choice to try here. There are times at which there are no admins online, mainly during European times and since I have quite literally nothing else to do I sit on the server all day.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

It depends on what sort of conflict would it be. If they were complaining about something that happened IC, I'd warn them and probably leave a note for future references. If it would be some usual salt I wouldn't really interfere that much, unless it'd carry on for too long. If it would be just straight keyboard warrioring, throwing insults at eachother in a serious manner, I'd tell them to cease, if it'd continue, I'd warn them that I'll ban them (or just one of them if he's obviously causing the whole problem while the other person is trying to defend themselves) if it continues. The ban would be for an hour or two, because in my opinion conflicts between humans happen all the time and it's not really something that can be completely stopped, nor do I think people should be punished too harshly for some verbal fights.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

If I understand the wuestion correctly, it's implying the admin is a part or the cause of the situation that needs the intervention. I wouldn't really take it in my hands, because obviously that would be very biased since I'm the admin here. I'd call for another admin with more experience, explaining my side of the story to them, obviously letting the other side of the conflict also tell their story without twisting any facts to make myself look better. The admins do have access to logs as far as I know, so I'd wait for the other admin to deal with the situation.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

It depends on the circumstances of the rule break. If it is a new player, the punishment should be rather gentle, probably a note or something like that and pointing them towards the rules, pointing out how our server is rather different rule-wise than most other highly populated servers. I believe an admin should use common sense and the fact that they have a way to see if a rule breaker is doing something repeatadly or if it's just single mistakes, to determine the right punishment for a person. The attitude of the rule breaker is also important, the fact if they show care for the rules and any sense of guilt or not, and that is probably rather easy to determine just by looking at the way they converse.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

I'm actually not 100% sure, but I've been told that It's fine to play the game while being adminned and there is no other admins around, if the role you're playing is not somehow very important. For example, I think it's fine to stay adminned as an assistant or a roboticist etc. if you're not really running around trying to expose antagonists and so on, rather sitting around and hanging out eith people. I would always de-admin if I'm planning to play the game the "vanilla" way, actively helping against antagonists, being security, captain, AI etc. I believe playing while being adminned and seeing a log come up that would confirm someone being an antagonist or something would require you to completely ignore it and act like you saw nothing, probably being able to act only if someone calls that person out on radio or something like that. I hope I have the right image of how this works, since obviously I don't really have any real previous experience in SS13 admining.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

Enforcing the rules, being able to keep cool while dealing with situations that require it (Where I am generally known as a rather salty person, but whenever I have some sort of real responsibility on me I do actually manage to ignore anything I'm angry about and so on, which is a statement that I sadly can only back up with words, because proving myself with this is something I can't really do unless I'm actually put on a trial or something), being able to look at players equally, giving everyone the same "privilige" to defend themselves in an admin intervention, and not showing any sort of favoritism for friends and such that would make the admin treat them better than others. An admin is also obviously expected to not abuse their powers.

Zellular

Re: [Coolgat3] Admin Application

Post by Zellular »

+1
I believe you've hit these answers on the head here. While it looks like you had problems understanding some of them you still gave your most educated guess.
As long as you settle down a bit I can see you doing alright, it's definitely worth a shot.

Tupina

Post by Tupina »

I'll throw in that +1

You are very active in the community, and seem to be pretty level headed. I also approve of you answers, though I think the questions could be better.

Certainly would benefit from training, but you seem to be willing to learn.

Tupina

Post by Tupina »

To add though, what would you do if the "new player" killed people for no reason, or bombed the bridge for no reason, or their rule breaks were very severe in some other way? Where do you draw the line between flat out griefing, and an innocent mistake?

Coolgat3

Post by Coolgat3 »

Tupina wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:25 am
To add though, what would you do if the "new player" killed people for no reason, or bombed the bridge for no reason, or their rule breaks were very severe in some other way? Where do you draw the line between flat out griefing, and an innocent mistake?
I mean. By new player I actually mean a new player and not someone who came on just to grief. It's not hard to see where new players have some sort of small "fuck-ups" and where are they actually intentionally trolling or griefing.

For example. I don't think someone powergaming even if extremely hard should be punished too severly if they're new. Or someone who goes acting captain should be serverly punished for taking captain gloves/sabre etc as acting captain for the first time.

If someone goes scientist and makes a maxcap then kills people, or bombs the bridge like you said, then it's obvious they're griefing.

Then there are situations where an antag player that is fairly new murderbones. I think the first times of people doing that deserve nothing more than a note, since sometimes people just don't tend to real the rules as thoroughly as they should be readen, since our rules have many differences from the other servers.

DiscordWizard

Post by DiscordWizard »

+1

Being honest, you are quite active in the comunity and you've got the answers mostly right. You look like you really care about keeping this place happy and in order, and as long as you manage to be more calm than you usually are I'll be happy to have you onboard. I'd really appreciate another admin in european time.

Ragolution

Post by Ragolution »

You have quite a few negative notes, and not ancient ones. Some minor, some not. It is in my honestly that I do not think you're a good fit for this position.
If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Coolgat3

Post by Coolgat3 »

Ragolution wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:44 am
You have quite a few negative notes, and not ancient ones. Some minor, some not. It is in my honestly that I do not think you're a good fit for this position.
I understand, though in all honesty I do believe that I can easily cease fucking around (which kinda is the source of most of my notes) while having such a responsibility on me. I'm not expecting to change your mind much but eh, I like to respond to all opinions etc, just to put what I think out there.

Ragolution

Post by Ragolution »

I think I'll be a smarmy shitter and say;

Act like the person you want to be, not the person you are.

In the event this is denied, be on good behavior and I'll probably support your next attempt.
If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Nethaufer

Post by Nethaufer »

After reading the events of staff chat earlier today I don't feel confident as having you be on staff. -1

Edit: Meant main dev discussion, not staff chat. My head derped and thought the thing happened in staff chat