Moderator application- Snow n chrysanthemums

snow n' chrysanthemums

Moderator application- Snow n chrysanthemums

Post by snow n' chrysanthemums »

BYOND ckey:Snow n chrysanthemums
Character name: Various, mainly Samdup Tashi, Zuo Yingqi
Discord username (+user id):Scarlet Chrysanthemum#5971
Reason for application:
Someone told me to be useful, and they told me lore devs aren't useful.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
Ask nicely, then warn, finally mute, this goes for any OOC channel that is run by sever staff (Main/RP, discord, forums). If they wish to argue outside of the scope of the administrations abilities, they are free to do so. So long as they are not threatening people or becoming detrimental to the playerbase experience, I will generally let them discuss.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
Do not get involved as an administrator and present the facts as a regular player would be. There are no exceptions.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
Attempt to determine the intent, severity, and scope of the damage by digging through logs and observing actions before acting. For instance, a player not understanding atmos and flooding the station with phoron deserves a ban from engineering regardless of the intent. A player accidentally not following the correct procedures to making a slime doctile deserves a warning and a note to read relevant guide. A new player not knowing that the planet is phoron filled and injuring themselves deserves a notice to go read the lore. A player deliberately attempting to flood the station with phoron deserves a perma-ban most likely. My understanding is that moderators do not usually ban, but this differs from server to server.
In order of importance:
Did a higher authority approve (admin/headmin)>severity of incident>Previous notes>intent>experience with game

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
As long as they are playing med/sec/command/sillicon and/or antagonist (or pseudo antagonist: Clown/Mime) roles. Off duty X is exempt because they are off duty. Also if they are ill, tired, or any other situation that may affect their judgement.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
They are expected to remain impartial, resolve IC and OOC issues, run occasional events, and annoy the ever living hell out of the heads with mountains of paperwork . Otherwise, they are to remain generally invisible unless someone requests something, or notices a obvious infraction.

Nethaufer

Re: Moderator application- Snow n chrysanthemums

Post by Nethaufer »

Judging from the recent complaint issue I don't believe you would be suitable as staff. -1

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

be a better player first -1
we're not going to hire people who can't even play nice themselves in the hopes they can suddenly make others play nice and start playing nice with other players when they're given a position of power

furthurmore what does lore have to do with this

geemiesif

Post by geemiesif »

I might not be RP but I question the logic of getting a complaint > headban > and then applying for mod? -1 from me

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

I find your desire for moderator to be disconcerting, especially ever since you pushed for stricter silicon law after you didn't get your way with Cerberus or Woona; it really calls into question your integrity and what you hope to achieve with a higher position. You have a current headban, you now have a history of metagrudging against silicons.

I cannot in good conscious support your application.

snow n' chrysanthemums

Nethaufer, I would appreciate if you would elaborate and I may attempt to soothe any issues you may have.

kevinz000, the loredev part was a joke. It appears I retain a lack of humor no matter how many coconuts I've tried to fly on swallows . I play perfectly fine with my other characters, Samdup is merely designed to be somewhat blunt and assertive due to the nature of the field, where if people mess up, they die. Zuo is perfectly capable about acting in a command capacity and being urbane about it (Any insults he throws are roundabout and deliberately confusing).

geemiesif, I had written the application about a week before the complaint, and waited to read it again after, during which a complaint was made. I thought it would be bad taste to post it during a complaint. Given the complaint is over, I have posted it. If this is somehow in bad taste I apologize (Please inform me as to why if this is in bad taste).

AvaricePleonexia, I have had intent for stricter sillicon laws way before the incident with Cerebrus and Woona (I thought it was Woosha?).
My IC objection with the RP lawset (and the bay crewmisov lawset) date back to old bayserver ~2012. The idea that lawed silicon units may deliberately ignore SOP and Corporate regulations make them a liability. I understand that the silicon are unique in play style and capabilities, but such an action makes them a completely liability when they can override a laws by saying that there are multiple conflicts (which in some cases there are).
My crux of the argument is that borgs should be made to follow at least SOP, and maybe security borgs follow Corporate regulations (I don't play sec very often, so correct me if wrong).

I believe this thread is outside the scope of discussion for synthetic silicon laws. If you wish to expand such a scope, please tell me and I shall oblige.

Edit: May I asked what causes my notation about Woosha simply not giving a warning before stunning the HOS constitutes as meta-grudging against silicons? The base of fault in that complaint is not Woosha in my opinion. It is the drones action that lies in the rule of the issue, but Woosha's reaction to the HOS killing the drone interfering with a major security concern (Remember, this is during a disking) that is the issue in the complaint.

Ragolution

Post by Ragolution »

A firm grasp of the rules is a must for any moderator or admin candidates. Furthermore, those with extensive note records have essentially dug themselves a deep hole. If I had to level a guess, you have both marks against you, here.

I find it perfidious and duplicitous that you now see it fit to claim your post in the lorebus was "Le Funny Joak" considering the approach you took at it and your attempt of doing so; going so far as to say it would "solve some problems" in the silicon playerbase, and it was clear to everyone in the chat at the time that the entire post was nothing but serious. You'd be better off to choke on your own words and attempt to accept your mistakes or, at the very least, your overreaction to the incident. Everyone makes mistakes, especially staff, but part of being staff is having the ability to identify your mistakes and own up to them. That is, for one count, why I would not count on much support for this application.

Furthermore, if you think action should be taken in order to adjust the way the game is played, those kinds of suggestions can either be brought to light as suggestions, attempted as a PR via the Github or brought to the headmins if you have a concrete argument for why a change should be instituted. The headmins are slow slugs, but they get shit done, eventually. Ultimately, how you acted on another server doesn't effect us much, here, when you're trying to use a volunteer-only team of Lore contributors to affect the game in a way that the Lore Team cannot and will not ever be able to. It's a point of much contention amongst the staff that people seem to think the Lore Team can push changes into gameplay when they exist purely to establish flavor and scenery, and not influence how the game is actually played.

Frankly, you have a lot of growing up to do, but don't let that discourage you. We may be adults on the outside, but sometimes our inner child grabs the steering wheel and drives into oncoming traffic. My opinions here do not ultimately affect your candidacy, nor will they color my attitude between the two of us in the future, as personal flaws are like cracks to be filled with molten gold. I've always loved the philosophy of Kintsukuroi. It is the mending of those cracks which makes you beautiful, and you are a piece of artwork that is not yet done.
If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything.

snow n' chrysanthemums

Please do excuse the poor attempt at humor then. It something I get often when I attempt to sound anywhere close to emotional or empathetic.

If the lore-team is not responsible for those laws, then it is my mistake for believing they are. I am aware my previous server records do not go into paper on here, but like I said, my conflict with the AI lawset dates back quite a while. I shall go submit a PR sometime as I am completely serious regarding my ideas to the silicon law-sets (I will continue to communicate with the headmins when I make changes to see where they stand on the issue as well). I am aware of the wording being strong in regards to my words for the silicon playerbase.I am of the personal opinion that silicon held to a higher standard much akin to, and maybe higher than command. If I am contradictory to the administrative stance, then please inform me although I will not rescind my viewpoint and objections. Although, I am still wary as to the implication of having an additional two laws on top of whatever roles the synthetics may already need to know and keep in mind.

I am aware of the requirement of staff being familiar with the rules, but I must inquire with the second point. Are we even allowed to see our notes? I have never been notified, or even told of any notes that have been written against me (aside from the recent ban note).

I give little for emotional feelings regarding any argument, but am also mostly aware of my own implicit biases. Although I personally disdain the final analogy, finding such usage of words to be wasteful, I do appreciate your time and effort to have written an urbane and logical argument. Sometimes it is just hard to see what people mean in a short phrase due to my stupidity.

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Moving to Declined.