[Coolgat3] Moderator Application

Coolgat3

[Coolgat3] Moderator Application

Post by Coolgat3 »

BYOND ckey: Coolgat3
Character name: Stalks-The-Prey/Kisses-The-Cook
Discord username (+user id): Coolgat3#7209
Reason for application: I want to see how it is to admin/mod on a SS13 server as I stated before in an admin app. Another reason is the fact that I love the server and I want to contribute to it as best as I can, plus there is the fact that during lowpop hours where I usually play, there's times where there is no admin online at all. I have done some bad there and there, but people change. I really think I'm able to be a moderator, despite the fact I had some slip-ups before. But that's just my opinion, although I'd gladly prove my point. Some time has passed and I know it might not be much since my last slip-up, but if I could be given a chance to prove myself as a mod, that'd be great.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

It depends on what sort of conflict would it be. If they were complaining about something that happened IC, I'd warn them and probably leave a note for future references. If it would be some usual salt I wouldn't really interfere that much, unless it'd carry on for too long. If it would be just straight keyboard warrioring, throwing insults at eachother in a serious manner, I'd tell them to cease, if it'd continue, I'd warn them that I'll ban them (or just one of them if he's obviously causing the whole problem while the other person is trying to defend themselves) if it continues. The ban would be for an hour or two, because in my opinion conflicts between humans happen all the time and it's not really something that can be completely stopped, nor do I think people should be punished too harshly for some verbal fights.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

If I understand the wuestion correctly, it's implying the admin is a part or the cause of the situation that needs the intervention. I wouldn't really take it in my hands, because obviously that would be very biased since I'm the admin here. I'd call for another admin with more experience, explaining my side of the story to them, obviously letting the other side of the conflict also tell their story without twisting any facts to make myself look better. The admins do have access to logs as far as I know, so I'd wait for the other admin to deal with the situation.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

It depends on the circumstances of the rule break. If it is a new player, the punishment should be rather gentle, probably a note or something like that and pointing them towards the rules, pointing out how our server is rather different rule-wise than most other highly populated servers. I believe an admin should use common sense and the fact that they have a way to see if a rule breaker is doing something repeatadly or if it's just single mistakes, to determine the right punishment for a person. The attitude of the rule breaker is also important, the fact if they show care for the rules and any sense of guilt or not, and that is probably rather easy to determine just by looking at the way they converse.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

I'm actually not 100% sure, but I've been told that It's fine to play the game while being adminned and there is no other admins around, if the role you're playing is not somehow very important. For example, I think it's fine to stay adminned as an assistant or a roboticist etc. if you're not really running around trying to expose antagonists and so on, rather sitting around and hanging out eith people. I would always de-admin if I'm planning to play the game the "vanilla" way, actively helping against antagonists, being security, captain, AI etc. I believe playing while being adminned and seeing a log come up that would confirm someone being an antagonist or something would require you to completely ignore it and act like you saw nothing, probably being able to act only if someone calls that person out on radio or something like that. I hope I have the right image of how this works, since obviously I don't really have any real previous experience in SS13 admining.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

Enforcing the rules, being able to keep cool while dealing with situations that require it (Where I am generally known as a rather salty person, but whenever I have some sort of real responsibility on me I do actually manage to ignore anything I'm angry about and so on, which is a statement that I sadly can only back up with words, because proving myself with this is something I can't really do unless I'm actually put on a trial or something), being able to look at players equally, giving everyone the same "privilige" to defend themselves in an admin intervention, and not showing any sort of favoritism for friends and such that would make the admin treat them better than others. An admin is also obviously expected to not abuse their powers.

(I know those are the answers I've given on my admin app, but since they were all good then I don't see why should I write the same answers again but use different words.)

gypsyShark

Re: [Coolgat3] Moderator Application

Post by gypsyShark »

Hey coolgat, thanks for applying.

I'll start with the positives. I think you are a very dedicated person who clearly cares about citadel. I don't doubt your passion for this place at all. You are a regular member whom, when I am around, I see you playing here. You are engaged on discord and I do think you genuinely want to help administrate here.

On the other hand, you are, well. Emotionally volatile. I'm going to be honest, I don't have a lot of confidence that you could handle the stressful situations that staff is put under, particularly when dealing with people in ahelps. People can end up being belligerent, evasive, or outright lie to your face. Sometimes they might take their grievances to discord and loudly voice their displeasure with getting noted or whatever action that was taken against them. You care a great deal of what people think of you, and being part of staff, you'll be inevitably upsetting people. I just don't see how you could cope.

While I still want you to be part of our community, I just don't think that, for your own sake, you should be part of the administration. Yes, people do change. But from what I have seen, that has not improved enough that I think you could handle a staff position.

I'm sorry but I have to say -1.

Coolgat3

Post by Coolgat3 »

gypsyShark wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:46 am
Hey coolgat, thanks for applying.

I'll start with the positives. I think you are a very dedicated person who clearly cares about citadel. I don't doubt your passion for this place at all. You are a regular member whom, when I am around, I see you playing here. You are engaged on discord and I do think you genuinely want to help administrate here.

On the other hand, you are, well. Emotionally volatile. I'm going to be honest, I don't have a lot of confidence that you could handle the stressful situations that staff is put under, particularly when dealing with people in ahelps. People can end up being belligerent, evasive, or outright lie to your face. Sometimes they might take their grievances to discord and loudly voice their displeasure with getting noted or whatever action that was taken against them. You care a great deal of what people think of you, and being part of staff, you'll be inevitably upsetting people. I just don't see how you could cope.

While I still want you to be part of our community, I just don't think that, for your own sake, you should be part of the administration. Yes, people do change. But from what I have seen, that has not improved enough that I think you could handle a staff position.

I'm sorry but I have to say -1.
I mean, In my opinion I have already mostly stopped reacting to what wrong people say about me. It's a different story when I hear it from someone I consider a friend, I have to admit. I haven't seen you on a lot lately and maybe you actually just didn't notice that I have actually changed, I dunno... I mean, do I really have to spend half a year waiting for the people who barely see me around to actually notice that I've improved?

Again, I do not want this to sound like an attack or anything. Some people keep thinking I wouldn't really be able to make it but... Isn't that what trials are for? I know what being an admin means, at least in general, because okay, I didn't ever admin on a SS13 server. If only I'd be allowed to prove myself as a mod (since my attempt for an admin got denied and someone said I should try applying for mod forst..) then trust me, and I actually mean it, you'd see that I'm able to suppress any anger/strong emotions while dealing with ahelps. Besides, even if I fail a trial, it's not like I'm really going to hurt the community by failing the trial more than I'll hurt myself, so as much as this sounds like I think it's entitled to me (But I don't mean it THAT way): I think I do deserve at least a small chance.

Again... It's just words, but I honestly have no other way than words to try proving my point as of now, either way thank you for honest opinions.

gypsyShark

Post by gypsyShark »

You claim that you've changed but you just recently were banned for what amounted to losing to your temper yeah? And you have notes as recently as a month ago that pertain to you losing your temper and shooting people up in medbay.
You also recently (1-2 months ago?) had those bits in discord where you claimed that everybody hates you and that you were just going to leave the community. We had to convince you that no, that's not the case. That doesn't exactly speak to your emotional stability. Perhaps you have improved, but I maintain you haven't improved enough.
I don't doubt your dedication but I hold deep concerns about when somebody starts mouthing off at you in an ahelp or in discord after you note them or take action against them.
Yes, trials are for people who we are not yet sure could be 100% an admin but in general i think it's fair to say that we'd prefer to bring on people who we feel have a higher chance of success.
So i reiterate that it is my personal opinion that you are not yet ready for it.

Coolgat3

Post by Coolgat3 »

Alright, well, seeing this I guess I don't have much good hopes for the outcome of this app, but at least I guess I'll get to see what staff thinks about me as of now and maybe retry one day in case this gets denied. Thanks for being honest

geemiesif

Post by geemiesif »

Look Ive known you for quite a while , you need to work on your tact and timing on how you do things before your really apply to be staff , be someone people look up to for the right reasons. Be the voice of reason. I know I can be stand offish and brutal at times but sometimes people need to get a quick paddling and they are right as rain . I want you to be a success story, so take all this stuff in a goodhearted way and work on being a better you and a better player/mentor.

So work on it and re apply later is my advice.

Fractious

Post by Fractious »

Hihi Coolgat,

I honestly have paid close attention to your behavior these last two months since your previous application, and I actually think as Sash and Reece mentionned that you still can lose your temper at times. I really think that it is critical for any admins to be able to remain their head cool even when situations get heated/don't go your ways.

Do consider taking a bit more time to improve on that part, and as I mentioned before +1 you gladly. You can really be a good player when you want, but you tend to derail sometimes.

Best of luck!
Fractious
Just try your best, and worse case scenario you will fail and learn.

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Everything I've wanted to say has already been said. For those reasons, I will also be against this application getting accepted.

MrJWhit

Post by MrJWhit »

Asked to move this to denied.